Turn on thread page Beta

What should we expect from our first week? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Streetwize)
    i went to richmond park a few weeks ago cos my mate does dentistry up there

those halls were very nice

shame im not going to manchester even though i got an offer
    WOW - I'm in richmond park, IT'S ACE! I love it here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Ok if thats the kind of stuff your after i would say Owens Park, i suppose Oak House is alryt, I just love my ensuite.
    I don't want to be catered and owens park is! It's alright if you can afford the extra £800 for an en-suite!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMutantGerbil)
    Ok. This is a thread for anyone already at Uni who wants to tell us young'uns who will be joining you next year (or later) all about what to expect from our first week at Uni. What's it like moving in, Meeting new people? Does freshers week start the day you move in? What should we expect from freshers week? What are all the things we have to do in our first few days to get ready for uni? etc. This would be really helpful to all of us who don't know what to expect. (If you include which uni you're referring to it would be helpful).

Cheers
    OKEY, how to some up Sheffield Intro Week:

The real Intro week starts the Monday after you get there, which is normally the Saturday or the Sunday.

Whatever you do when you move into where-ever to unpack, leave your door open - that way a) someone will know that you are in and b) will more than likely offer you a drink of some sort.

You will already have been told at some stage that you will have some welcome meetings/intro lectures to go to in Week 0, and the all important "Registration" where you get your UCard.

Make sure you go to these, as they are vital for knowing what tutorial groups you are in, and what your lecture timetable is.

You'll also have a chance to meet your personal tutor for a quick "shake hands, how are you settling in ?" Sort of thing that last a couple of minutes no more.

Chances are there will be someone off your course who has the same personal tutor as you, and so whilest queuing outside his/her office, you have the chance to chat to your fellow freshers who are just as fed up of all this queuing as you are !

Academic stuff aside though - around the campus you'll find that there are people wearing bright yellow sweaters with giant lollypops saying "Help I'm Lost" on them - they are a vital source of information, and indeed can help you should you lose all bearings of where you are, or just don't want to be looking down at a map.

In the week theres the Activities Fair, and a day later the Sports Fair, where you get the chance to walk round looking at any of the many stands deciding what you would like to do to fill your free time.

On to the night time stuff:

Saturday night, (I think I recall) is the Freshers Party in Fusion & Foundry, and is a great night, with loads of giveaways and general fun - and there are normally some good acts in as well.

The Freshers Ball, isn't normally until mid-October, but be warned, the tickets will have sold out by the end of September.

The bars in the Union will be open, from Saturday on wards, as will be bars in your Halls, have a wander down, you won't be the only one in there, (and they are pretty cheap too).

Expect to be handed LOADS of flyers telling you all about the various nights out around Sheffield. Now in the first week, this is always a good thing to pick up, as you need to know whats on offer - and they normally have maps on to tell you where they are. After the first month or so you learn to avoid the flyer bearers.

There is something on every night at the union, in the first week, tickets are got from the Box Office, all I'll say is, make the most of the first week, as there are no deadlines !

If you are in Halls, expect your JCR to organize a Pub Crawl, ending at one of the city's clubs. Always a balmy night.

There is enough to do in Sheffield to keep you occupied, no matter what you want to do during Freshers Week, whether it be simply to settle in, get your bearings, or party all week, and wake up still drunk.

The fun does continue through the first year, but you'll find that you only party that hard a couple of times a week, on nights that you have established places that you enjoy the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    take along a cheap door wedge bought from the pound shop or some thick card to wedge the door open and pack it towards the top of your stuff (with the pringles/biscuits, kettle and tea/coffee stuff).
    Good advice. Definately take a door wedge; a good investment.

Oh yeh, and always check before you go whether or not Pillows are included, muppet boy here thought they were and they weren't, and has to trek out to Meadowhall on the first afternoon to buy them from Allders.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of which

Warning do not read the following paragraph is you are eating and/or of a sensitive disposition

If you have a room with a sink take some serious bleach/plug/drain cleaning stuff for the first week. It's fairly common for sinks to double as en suites after a heavy nights drinking so unless you like the thought of cleaning your teether were a previous resident has pee-d/vomited it's probably worth making sure all traces are removed.

I know it's not nice but fore-warned is fore-armed eh
    heh heh heh .......and i havent even gone to univeristy yet!

went to exeter uni for a summer school thing last year. Mardon Hall, apparantly some of the better/best acommadation there, i was on top floor and the toilets were 2 staircases away grrr....

suppose it was pre-empted revenge for them rejecting my offer for history

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait!!! It sounds great so far! I'm definatley warming to Sheffield. Does anyone have any experience of what its like in central London uni's (mainly LSE and UCL)? :confused: I've heard it's nowhere near as good as the freshers week you get in uni's like Manchester, Sheffield etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    really? wicked

hmm, maybe u know of Vijay? i think he lives in Flat 1 with his mates Ben, Tej, Arnie (those are all the guys i can remember!)

they were really cool

ReputationRep:
    Even if they are it's worth taking your own...dodgy stained pillows are not a settling thought....a good mattress cover (between the mattress and the bottom sheet) can help you sleep easier too.

Also be prepared - when you arrive your room will look like a prison cell with bare walls and a single bed and a desk. Rather than posters (spoils the fun of buying them during freshers week) take along a load of photos of friends/family and a cheap n cheerful throw/wall hanging....hanging something fabric on the walls (no matter how girly it sounds it isn't...specially if your throw has a skull and crossbones or similar on it ) will instantly make your room more friendly feeling - far more so than a bunch of posters.
    OH MY GOD that is disgusting. I want to stay at home!!! I am so taking all my own bedding, have you never seen the hoover adverts where they show nasties like bed mites!! Gross!!!!! The amount of stuff im gonna be taking is phenomenal!

ReputationRep:
    What should we expect from freshers week?
    Cheers
    Beer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    I'm in Richmond Park too!

Don't you just love Arpy's?!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, and without the cameras and million pound house! Tednol - you're at Manchester - where did you stay in your first year? I'm looking at staying in Oak House - any thoughts?
    I am in Richmond Park and it rocks, although it is pretty expensive and takes up all of my loan. Oak House is ideal if you want cheap, lively, self catered accommodation. It isn't the newest of halls, but things tend to work and lots of people are very happy there.

(Original post by Tednol)
    I am in Richmond Park and it rocks, although it is pretty expensive and takes up all of my loan. Oak House is ideal if you want cheap, lively, self catered accommodation. It isn't the newest of halls, but things tend to work and lots of people are very happy there.
    So would you say its worth paying the extra for Richmond??? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    So would you say its worth paying the extra for Richmond??? :confused:
    When you wake up with a big hangover, there is nothing quite like having your own bathroom to stagger into. But maybe it's just me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Richmond Park too!

Don't you just love Arpy's?!
    Wait wait wait...I knew you looked kind of familiar. Which court?

ReputationRep:
    When you wake up with a big hangover, there is nothing quite like having your own bathroom to stagger into. But maybe it's just me.
    Nah mate it aint just you! I LOVE RICHMOND PARK.

ReputationRep:
    really? wicked

hmm, maybe u know of Vijay? i think he lives in Flat 1 with his mates Ben, Tej, Arnie (those are all the guys i can remember!)

they were really cool
    I know a guy called Xi - thats what people call him, in flat 1.

ReputationRep:
    yeahhhhh!

mr xiiii

he was a legend

he was cool as hell, i remember my mate was hammered and depressed and he went to sleep in the kitchen at 5 am and who turned up at 6 am to the kitchen...xi, and they had a huge conversation at 6 am. haha

i loved manchester, im still contemplating whther to go there or notts...hmm

richmond park was lovely though, wicked atmosphere too, loved the rooms

ReputationRep:
    yeahhhhh!

mr xiiii

he was a legend

he was cool as hell, i remember my mate was hammered and depressed and he went to sleep in the kitchen at 5 am and who turned up at 6 am to the kitchen...xi, and they had a huge conversation at 6 am. haha

i loved manchester, im still contemplating whther to go there or notts...hmm

richmond park was lovely though, wicked atmosphere too, loved the rooms
    Yeah, He is such a legend. He is on my course and the guy is just amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I am far too paranoid about cleaning to share a bathroom! If you don't want to pick other people's hair out of the drains and can afford it, go for ensuite... *hugs ensuite shower-pod-room-thing*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Yeah, He is such a legend. He is on my course and the guy is just amazing.
    haha, you dont know Tej either from Flat 1, he does medicine too as well? ask xi if he remembers us (vijays mates) as the 3 school kids, lol. i wonder if his project on making medicine awareness to kids is going okay, he was stressing about it last time i saw him cos he hadnt done any work!

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.