Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Speaking of which

Warning do not read the following paragraph is you are eating and/or of a sensitive disposition

If you have a room with a sink take some serious bleach/plug/drain cleaning stuff for the first week. It's fairly common for sinks to double as en suites after a heavy nights drinking so unless you like the thought of cleaning your teether were a previous resident has pee-d/vomited it's probably worth making sure all traces are removed.

I know it's not nice but fore-warned is fore-armed eh

edit and for the record yes I did do this once or twice when walking the corridor (through 2 fire doors) to the loos would have been asking for trouble - I did clean up thouroughly afterwards...it's just a shame it was after graduating that I learnt to pee in a coke bottle at glastonbury

Eeek no!!! I've been sick in my bin before now but I did put a bag in it first it was when I was ill.

I agree with that I always bring a bottle of bleach the cleaners dont tend to be very thorough and my room and wardrobe was really dusty. its nice to start of clean and hygenic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    worth pointing out that a lot of hall rooms have fire doors with closers fitted which makes leaving the door open a pain - take along a cheap door wedge bought from the pound shop or some thick card to wedge the door open and pack it towards the top of your stuff (with the pringles/biscuits, kettle and tea/coffee stuff).
    forks and spoons work a treat as door wedges if you cant find one old cutlery is a cunning plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Wait wait wait...I knew you looked kind of familiar. Which court?
    I'm Willow 21! Yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    I'm Willow 21! Yourself?
    Wow, I'm in willow 12.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Wow, I'm in willow 12.
    Small small world.

ReputationRep:
    Expect the feeling of 'wow i'm finally here' to hit you hard. Also expect to drink with random people on your first night and say hi to them for the next few months without actually speaking to them properly.

Expect to spend more than you planned.

Hint: Talk to as many people as possible! Be clear as well, because a lot of people have trouble understanding my accent.

I find my better times at uni have been in the second semester rather than the first. I have lots of friends to fall back on, and I feel much more secure.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a CLUE what my freshers week will be like. Because where I am going is so split up, there is St Martins, the College of Fashion, Camberwell, LCC, etc etc etc. And the students there are the most elusive of all the places I applied to. I've found one current student and she didn't get into the degree course so she has to leave. Grrrrr...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    I am far too paranoid about cleaning to share a bathroom! If you don't want to pick other people's hair out of the drains and can afford it, go for ensuite... *hugs ensuite shower-pod-room-thing*
    oh lordy.. I'm terrified now. I hope that the people sharing bathrooms with me are clean because I feel nauseous at the slightest bit of unpleasant smell.

ReputationRep:
    What isthe freshers week at Reading like as i am probably goin there?

Any thoughts/ news?

ReputationRep:
    Whats it like at bath uni fresher's week?? Fun or boring ? since its a relatively small uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scandalous)
    Whats it like at bath uni fresher's week?? Fun or boring ? since its a relatively small uni.

Would suggest you take a look in the Bath Uni forum for the link to Freshers Voyage - their 2004 website hasn't been updated yet, but if I remember right, the stuff from 03 is still there for you to get a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Expect drink and sex apparantly both in large suply (and demand).

If you have enough of the former you will probably do the latter with some ugly people who you will then spend the next three years avoiding.

As someone who is 23 and has quite a lot of life experience I am looking forward to being a fresher and seeing all the 18 year olds getting taken advantage of .

ReputationRep:
    All this to look forward to. I can't wait to go off to Lancaster in Sept. Just had a year off and started a small business up :eek:.

Kind of looking forward to the new people bit. Already met some of the people I'll be working with part-time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Expect drink and sex apparantly both in large suply (and demand).

If you have enough of the former you will probably do the latter with some ugly people who you will then spend the next three years avoiding.

As someone who is 23 and has quite a lot of life experience I am looking forward to being a fresher and seeing all the 18 year olds getting taken advantage of .
    The latter really didn't happen so much here (and no, I'm not just a bitter single, it genuinely didn't!) but I don't know about elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    The latter really didn't happen so much here (and no, I'm not just a bitter single, it genuinely didn't!) but I don't know about elsewhere.
    Same. The latter didn't happen much here either, not even in Freshers' Week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Same. The latter didn't happen much here either, not even in Freshers' Week
    No, it took at least 4 weeks for my year to start to get into the swing of the whole random pulling etc idea. Some relationships did start before then (and are still going :eek: ) but the first years didn't really start to fill up their part of Clareifornication until mid-term. I stayed out of it till the start of Lent (well, I didn't get caught, and that was fine by me - I know of plenty of people who got away with far more and never a word published!)

ReputationRep:
    You have to be prepared to put in the effort to say hi to people etc - you can't expect people to approach you all the time. If you put in the effort, you'll get the reward.

ReputationRep:
    Well... Probably syphilis, quite likely chlamydia and, who knows, you may even get HIV... The best thing is - they are all absolutely free of charge! Party on dudes..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Well... Probably syphilis, quite likely chlamydia and, who knows, you may even get HIV... The best thing is - they are all absolutely free of charge! Party on dudes..!
    Yay! But you'll get the exciting sexual health talk as well, featuring the usual condom + cucumber etc, we also had balloons with various STIs written on them, for the purposes of a role play thing, and the same balloons subsequently appeared at our Freshers' bop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Yay! But you'll get the exciting sexual health talk as well, featuring the usual condom + cucumber etc, we also had balloons with various STIs written on them, for the purposes of a role play thing, and the same balloons subsequently appeared at our Freshers' bop
    I might be absent that day...!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.