Turn on thread page Beta

HIV Viral Antiviral! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040304/12/ennuy.html

I found this really interesting.
    I hadn't really thought much of the concept of a virus curing (or even just protecting against in this case) another virus.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... so nobody else is at all exited about this then apart from me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    My housemates probably quite excited about it, her dissertation was on something quite similar.

ReputationRep:
    wow...this could be a medical breakthrough....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    wow...this could be a medical breakthrough....
    Don't get too excited. It's interesting, yes, but so far they seem not to have much of an idea why this occurs, or why men who were infected then lost the protective virus subsequently had lower survival rates than those who never had the protective virus.

It has potential (from my limited knowledge) but a long way to go before it, or any of the hundreds of other research projects on HIV can be classed as a breakthrough.

ReputationRep:
    These revolutionary ideas come along every day...lets just wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    hey, my name is Viral.

(Original post by Iluvatar)
    i can telly uo there are 2 main mechanisms that will explain it
    1) It binds to the same receptors (CCR5 and CXCR4) and so competes with HIV. The virus may be alot less efficient than HIV and so although it binds to cells it may not infect them. It might also put out alot of Defective interfering particles which do exactly this
    2) It induces a good interferon (anti-viral) response. Anti-viral response by the body would negatively affect HIV too, and so would cause suppression of the HIV.

In either case it's not that exciting. When push comes to shove I think that in the near future it might be a radical surgical treatment which cures HIV.
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    In either case it's not that exciting. When push comes to shove I think that in the near future it might be a radical surgical treatment which cures HIV.
    J
    Ahem... what? :confused:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.