Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    why is it, its seen as wrong for the female to be older than the male in a relationship? up until the age of 25 - 30 its like a major issue! then age difference dont seem to matter.

so what exactly is the problem here?

ReputationRep:
    Well, it depends on the age gap whether theres a problem. I personally don't see any problem in most cases (although extreme age gaps, yeah, of course).
    Its just that a few people have a problem with it, and like to make a big issue out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    why is it, its seen as wrong for the female to be older than the male in a relationship? up until the age of 25 - 30 its like a major issue! then age difference dont seem to matter.

Who has a problem with age gaps???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben2111)
    Who has a problem with age gaps???
    well most of mine and ma bfs skool, and many people aorund us. te age gap is one yr and 9mnths

ReputationRep:
    is it a problem? i never thought so

ReputationRep:

This is an discussion with one answer....some people accept it and some dont!

ReputationRep:
    Its so ancient the belief that women have to be younger than the men isnt it! Go Demi Moore i say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Its so ancient the belief that women have to be younger than the men isnt it! Go Demi Moore i say!
    excuse me? dont u mean GO LUMPY! hehe

ReputationRep:
    excuse me? dont u mean GO LUMPY! hehe

i say its all cool!!!

ReputationRep:
    Prob has to do with the whole maturity thang. Girls mature earlier than boys (generally) so I think up to about age 20 it's seen as an issue. But I don't think it should be. Big age gaps are a bit wierd but if it's love, it's love - why should anything stand in the way?!

ReputationRep:
    That to, but Demi is our celebrity comaprison.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps some ancient part of our brain objects because we see the older woman as infertile and the young man as virile. We are all programmed to reproduce, after all.

ReputationRep:
    Coincidentally, we were talking about this subject as our 'meal time debate' yesterday, but it wasn't just with the older woman; one of our male friends met some 16 year old girl at a gig the other day - he's 19 and she really likes him but he says she's too young. However he said that 3 years wouldn't matter if she was 17 and he was 20, it was just cos she was only 16...I can kind of see his arguement I guess, but I don't see much wrong. It was then that he asked us if we'd go out with a 16 year old lad, and every single one of us girls said no. I think its just some kind of preconception most people have got...I think it comes from the fact that boys are generally more immature than girls until around the late teens - my brother is 16 and i'd never consider ever going out with one of his friends (they enjoy burping a lot, and don't like washing) however if I had a brother 3 years older then i'd probably go out with one of his friends without thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    Coincidentally, we were talking about this subject as our 'meal time debate' yesterday, but it wasn't just with the older woman; one of our male friends met some 16 year old girl at a gig the other day - he's 19 and she really likes him but he says she's too young. However he said that 3 years wouldn't matter if she was 17 and he was 20, it was just cos she was only 16...I can kind of see his arguement I guess, but I don't see much wrong. It was then that he asked us if we'd go out with a 16 year old lad, and every single one of us girls said no. I think its just some kind of preconception most people have got...I think it comes from the fact that boys are generally more immature than girls until around the late teens - my brother is 16 and i'd never consider ever going out with one of his friends (they enjoy burping a lot, and don't like washing) however if I had a brother 3 years older then i'd probably go out with one of his friends without thinking about it.

i am 19 and my bf is 18 but there in the summer i will be 20 and he will still be 18...we have been together since i was 15 and he was 14...(4 years and more)...we got bullied about it at school but we are still going strong so age differences can work...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    i am 19 and my bf is 18 but there in the summer i will be 20 and he will still be 18...we have been together since i was 15 and he was 14...(4 years and more)...we got bullied about it at school but we are still going strong so age differences can work...
    awww lovely stry

ReputationRep:
    (they enjoy burping a lot, and don't like washing)

Are you suggesting that you enjoy washing? If so then I am shocked :eek:

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    Thats not 3 years though...would you consider going out with a 16 year old now?

I'm not saying it's unacceptable, just pointing out that its not as common as girls dating older boys. I think it becomes less of an issue when you get older though, my mum is 2 years older than my dad, and obviously Demi Moore and Sadie Frost don't have a problem with age difference!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    Are you suggesting that you enjoy washing? If so then I am shocked :eek:

MB
    What??? It's personal hygeine!!! Something which they lack!

And actually its nice to be able to go and have a bath full of bubbles and stuff!

ReputationRep:
    Thats not 3 years though...would you consider going out with a 16 year old now?

I'm not saying it's unacceptable, just pointing out that its not as common as girls dating older boys. I think it becomes less of an issue when you get older though, my mum is 2 years older than my dad, and obviously Demi Moore and Sadie Frost don't have a problem with age difference!!

probably not... although if i wasn't with my bf and i liked someone, their age wouldn't be enough to put me off....
    but i have to say...the prospect of a 16 year old doens't really excite me atm!!!

i think that you either both need to be adults (over 18) or both under 18- i don't think you can start a relationship bridging that gap...

don't know..interesting....hmm.....

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2004

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.