Turn on thread page Beta

Can you blag entry into uni without the grades watch

ReputationRep:
    im taking a home course in 3 a levels but am over 21 , i doubt i will be able to get into uni this year despite being accepted into 4/6 unis ive applied for, is there anyway or any stories of people blagging theyre way into uni

(Original post by Fatman)
    im taking a home course in 3 a levels but am over 21 , i doubt i will be able to get into uni this year despite being accepted into 4/6 unis ive applied for, is there anyway or any stories of people blagging theyre way into uni
    you can get into UNL by showing 'potential', ie you are eligible for loans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fatman)
    It would depend on how much your actual results differ from those you were predicted and offered on the basis of, and also on the places you applied to and the course you applied for.
    If you've applied to the top universities, or for courses that are oversubscribed, then I'd guess you'd really have to BEG! I know a few people who were told "no" straight away.
    On the other hand, I've had a lot of friends who've missed it by a grade or two but who got on the phone straight away, convinced the admissions tutors that they really would be an asset to the uni - and kept their place.
    Don't be so pessimistic though! I've you've got into most of your choices then chances are they reckon you could make the grade if you want to.
    Jo x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    you can get into UNL by showing 'potential', ie you are eligible for loans
    how old r u?

ReputationRep:
    one of my friends blagged an offer of ABB for law (think it was essex but not 100% sure) instead of the normal AAB even though he only got ACC at as level. how did he do it? his dad is the guy who's responsible for the british navy's legal dealings and apparently he wrote to the university on behalf of his son! i was soo pissed off when i heard this, surely it shouldn't be allowed. i know he's got to meet the offer, but still, it isn't fair on the other candidates!

(Original post by laurabunny)
    how old r u?
    why? how old are you?

i appear to have read the thread wrongly, thought you said 'can you blag entry to uni without grades', either way UNL love everyone

ReputationRep:
    If your grades dither a lot from what the offer is then there is a high chance you will not be able to cope with your degree anyway. In a lot of cases the offer points are the bare minimum you need.

The tarifs are the for a reason, last year my course tutor took on people who had below 220 points the asking but then regretted when a lot of people were found to struggle, this year they only gave people offers who had the points or had considerable work experience in the field.

ReputationRep:
    i blaged my way onto my course....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    i blaged my way onto my course....
    What course do you do?

ReputationRep:
    Me too -ish.

I applied in year thirteen to St Andrews and got a conditional offer - BBC.

Stuffed up my A Levels and ended up with BCD. I rang them, and as usual they had offered more places than they had and so turned me away.

I applied again during my gap year with the same grades, despite the fact that they were now asking BBB and got an unconditional offer.

I think you're at a distinct advantage if you're older than the average applicant, and/or have some life experience, working elsewhere or gap year or whatever. They definitely take that sort of thing into account.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I'm going to do everything in my power to avoid it, if I've messed up on results today, say got ABB, or got a 3 in STEP, you think it's a good idea to get on the phone, and hassle them? As in seriously just beg, lose all dignity and persevere?

ReputationRep:
    i would try and blag in that sorta situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Whilst I'm going to do everything in my power to avoid it, if I've messed up on results today, say got ABB, or got a 3 in STEP, you think it's a good idea to get on the phone, and hassle them? As in seriously just beg, lose all dignity and persevere?
    Well if it was UNL or a uni i didn't want to go to - def not. In your case, yes it is, I'd beg for all my life was worth. But avoidance is best and if you do mess up except in exceptional circumstances then you underperformed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    i'm gunna have to blag my way into Uni, doing just 2 A-levels will be tough

ReputationRep:
    What i've heard, even if you dont get in where you want, your aplication can still later be reconsidered and you can have good chances on getting in for example because of interest in the study field etc.

ReputationRep:
    u can maybe get in to level 0 the sometimes take you in if u have bad grades like myself! and some peeps in my class have only gnvq stuff, but if you have good gcse grades and are really enthusiastic im sure theyed take you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Yes, well try not to lose your dignity, but certainly phone them. Of three people who missed their grades for oxbridge in my school the only one who wasn't accepted anyway was the one who didn't phone on results day. Everyone agrees he's very foolish.

I don't know how lenient Clare will be for maths, but if there's a chance then it's worth trying to take it.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    And whatever you do never *ever* get someone else to phone on your behalf....however crap you might think you'll sound on the phone there is nothing so degrading as getting a parent to phone up your uni for you...the admissions tutor will lost a huge amount of respect for you instantly.

i was in no fit state to ring myself....school did it for me, it wouldnt have achieved anything if i had.

love Katy ***

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.