Double or Triple Science for GCSE? Watch

KatJackson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I was just wondering, does it look worse if you have a double science GCSE rather than a triple science GCSE?

In our assembly on options today, they said that double science is better for people that would like to do other options as well (which is me). And also they said that you can still have a science-y job and/or a science-y A level if you opt for the double.

A bit of a confusing question, (-:
Changing Skies
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KatJackson)
I was just wondering, does it look worse if you have a double science GCSE rather than a triple science GCSE?

In our assembly on options today, they said that double science is better for people that would like to do other options as well (which is me). And also they said that you can still have a science-y job and/or a science-y A level if you opt for the double.

Doing double science doesn't put you at a disadvantage when it comes to getting a place at university or a science related job etc. The only real advantage of triple is that if you go on to do A level Biology/Chemistry/Physics the jump won't be as large as it kind of acts like a bridge between GCSE and the start of AS. So overall, I don't think doing double would affect anything major
arrogant
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you enjoy science then I'd recommend taking triple science. I certainly wouldnt say taking triple science is limiting, but there will be more options available to you if you do double. It really all comes down to what you enjoy/are good at
Sparky:)
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Through doing double science and then taking 2 sciences at A level (chem and phy) I can say truthfully that there isn't a lot of things that you had to learn, as for uni they don't really care as long as you have something (apart from the top ones). If there is an option that you would rather do, it gives you a wider area of subjects which is never a bad thing so really it's down to whether you want another subject, but go with what you enjoy

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
The.Joker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did double science during GCSE and if I was given the chance I would have done triple science because I always enjoyed science and it would have allowed me to learn that little bit more in each of the science's unlike double science.
Also, it would have helped ease the transition from GCSE to Alevel a bit more than having done only double science.
But if you'd rather choose another GCSE option over triple science its fine because unis aren't fussed whether you do double or triple science during GCSE.
Swinburne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you enjoy science and are thinking of pursuing a science related career possibly then i would definitely recommend taking triple science, as it covers each area in more depth, with a whole extra third unit in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I'm doing triple award science in year 11 at the moment... at my school people doing triple award have to do the course in the same amount of time as people doing double award, with no extra lessons. But from what you've said it sounds as if triple award takes up an option choice. Just be prepared that triple award is more challenging that double, as it not only has more content, but the third units are also significantly harder, bordering on AS level
username321708
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I would study Triple. For me, I found Unit 2 and Unit 3 of the Science course was where it got interesting whereas I found Unit 1 of Biology & Chemistry so easy that it was tedious at times. Also you never know, you might enjoy it and change your mind and as another member said, taking triple Science will assist you in bridging the gap from GCSE to A level.
Nick_888
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing double science at the moment and my exam board is OCR 21st Century. Double scientists learn P1-6, B1-6 and C1-6. Whereas Triple Scientists do the same as us including P7, B7 and C7. So if you want to take Physics as an A Level (which I am planning to do) the only advantage triple scientists have over me is that they have done an extra module. So it doesn't put you much at a disadvantage.
Lunch_Box
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd recommend Triple if you're looking to do a science-related degree.
sarahiscool
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
if you think you might take one of the sciences definitaly take triple, i know the teachers say it doesnt matter if you take double if you want to do a-level but they are all told to say this... tbh triple doesnt even require that much more effort , uni wise i dont think it matters what one you do
zintanax
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey,
well my sister did double science gcse,before studying the sciences and maths at a level; she is now going into medicine, so in my opinion, i don't think it really matters... if you really love science then go for it but if you want to do other subjects as well then i'd recommend double science because you still do all 3 sciences, it's just with triple you do 3 more exams, i do double science but i'm probably going to choose science subjects for a levels
good luck choosing!
.midnight_sun.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well, im doing triple science at the moment and its amazing! i personally love science so i would advice you to do it if you like it...you learn extra stuff than you would learn in double science. If you want to do a science related career in the future then do triple science
Namige
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends on what your other choice is if you do double science. Is it rigourous? For example, drama wouldn't be a good alternative. But in my opinion, if you're looking to do a science a level then triple science would definitely be recommended as it expands your knowledge further to prepare you a little more for the start of a levels.
Negaduck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you want to do multiple sciences at A-level then do Triple award.
SarahSmiles95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Doing double award doesn't put you at any disadvantage, but if you enjoy science and want to take sciences at A level it's a good idea to do triple award. I did it and it was a little bit more advanced than double award GCSE but still easy enough to do. It will give you a slight advantage when you start AS levels, but you'll be taught everything you need to know anyway, so it's your call, but I would say go for it if you like science!
Lucas.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Personally, I find Triple Science more interesting than Double.

Triple Science took up an option slot for me, so I have two seperate classes for Core (Double) and Triple. In a way, this put me at an advantage to those people in my core group, because Triple Science goes more in depth into certain areas. It's no more difficult, however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Upr1s1ng
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Triple didn't take up more time at my school, I took the same amount of options as everyone else. O_o

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Jakaroo94
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

There's not much in it. At my school, we were the first year to be offered triple science and I didn't really want to do it so did double. The modules are of exactly the same difficulty with the same content but in triple you do a few more modules to bridge the gap between GCSE and AS levels.
Nitrogen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It doesn't really give you an advantage. Just do it if you're interested. Im doing A level chemistry and I only did the double award. I was the only one in my chemistry class to have only taken the double award, whilst everyone else did triple. I got the highest mark in my class in the jan exam last year though . Like my science teacher at gcse said 2 A's look better than 3 B's.
moorbre
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Swinburne)
If you enjoy science and are thinking of pursuing a science related career possibly then i would definitely recommend taking triple science, as it covers each area in more depth, with a whole extra third unit in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I'm doing triple award science in year 11 at the moment... at my school people doing triple award have to do the course in the same amount of time as people doing double award, with no extra lessons. But from what you've said it sounds as if triple award takes up an option choice. Just be prepared that triple award is more challenging that double, as it not only has more content, but the third units are also significantly harder, bordering on AS level
I took triple science and chemistry and physics at A level....i wouldn't even say that triple science was bordering on As level... there is a huge jump, be prepared for it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.66%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.24%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.58%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.87%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.09%

Watched Threads