The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 6GE03 and 6GE04

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TheRockMaster
hey,

I see your point of view BUT, you have too look at many physical (geological) factors which do determine whether tectonic activity becomes hazardous:

Type of activity- Volcano or seismic

Duration of event, such as an earthquake lasting for 2min will be more destructive than one which lasts for 15sec especially if the magnitude is the same.

The range of hazards associated with volcanoes: lava flows, VEI, pyro flows, Jokulhups or something (glacial outburts)....basically if they occur then the activity will become hazardous if humans are situated there.

Same for seismic- secondary= tsunamis and land slides

Frequency, magnitude, depth of earthquake, level of ground acceleration all affect the impacts and scale of impacts.

Type of boundary.

I hope this makes sense :smile::smile::smile:

Yeah, I agree with you on that!

What I was trying to say was I don't think the focus will be on the physical Impacts of tectonic hazards e.g. lava plateaus, etc (don't know any others) :P
Original post by Lauren.G
Yeah, I agree with you on that!

What I was trying to say was I don't think the focus will be on the physical Impacts of tectonic hazards e.g. lava plateaus, etc (don't know any others) :P

Oh on the landscape....nahh they asked that in Jan, sorry for misunderstnding you :redface:
Reply 62
Original post by itmightbefriday
Hey guys,

Most people seem to be discussing the factors that make tectonic activity hazardous which I thought was going to be like pretty much the only question they could ask. But recently my friend pointed out that the second half of the steer talks about the impacts.
Do you think they could be really specific and say something like "Discuss the varying physical and human impacts that tectonic hazards cause" Because if so then I'm gonna have to completely restructure my essay plan and start learning stuff about batholiths and liquefaction etc etc :O

Eek, I really hope not because all my planning has been for physical/human causes, not impacts! :s-smilie: I don't think they would be so mean as to do that...they have to include the first steer surely?
Reply 63
Yeah I see how tables can be useful, I was thinking of doing them to compare case studies but very basic/ quick, want to spend the majority of the time writing. Does Canada experience earthquakes/ volcanoes?? :O
I would maybe list the factors in the introduction with a comment about which you think are the most important, but then if the question is asking about the various factors making t. activity hazardous you would explain them fully in the main body.

In the Methodology section you have to write about sourcing your information and evaluate whether it is reliable etc. We were told to do a table of case studies, with columns for the sources and then evaluation of the sources, but not 100% sure if i'm going to do that yet.

http://community.edexcel.com/geography/m/geography/tags/Exemplar+Material/Tectonic+Activity+and+Hazards/default.aspx
Here's a link to some sample reports, hopefully they'll help :smile: x

My tables will be like that, just the basic facts and figures so hopefully they should be ok then :smile: Yeah Canada gets a lot of small/medium earthquakes but because of the low pop density they have pretty much no effect at all.

That's a good idea for the intro - so do you reckon as an example this would be enough detail 'The geology of an area can make tectonic activity more hazardous, as locations with soft rock allow seismic waves to travel from the focus to the epicentre without losing very much energy, causing a larger magnitude felt on the surface.' Or do I need an example, like Haiti is soft rock, which caused a larger impact?

The methodology sounds pretty much the same as my evaluation, do you think it would be better to put it in after the intro?

Thanks sooo much for the help and the link! x
Hey,

don't shoot me if i'm wrong, but I was looking at the specification today and the wording of the different sections really makes it seem that physical impacts of tectonic activity won't come up. For a start it came up in the Jan paper, and in the specification it talks about the physical impacts of tectonic activity, whereas the steer says to focus on the scale of impacts of tectonic hazardss and disasters... tectonic activity is only hazarous if there are people living near, so personally I think the focus will be on the first and third sections of the spec (tectonic hazards and causes, and tectonic hazards human impacts) x

Phewwww, I'm so glad you said that because I was panicking that it'll focus on impacts and I would have nothing to say D: Looking back at the steer, I think you're right. They wouldn't ask us to research hazards and disasters if they weren't going to talk specifically about it in the question, or one would hope anyway :P
Thank you!

Also does anyone have any tips for what to do for the conclusion? I've read some examiner reports and they all say that it's really important to sum up everything you've written about and go over key points etc, but I really am not gonna have time to go over everyyything I've written about!

I was thinking maybe:
- start with saying how it is clear that many factors contribute to varying / different scales of impacts
- then talk about main factors, linking in with a few case studies
- talk about a couple of theories
- then say something about future trends / predictions etc

Do you think that sounds ok? :s-smilie:
Reply 65
Hey guys
First of all, even though this is not a thread asked by me, all the information in this thread is extremely helpful!
I was just wondering if anyone has any reccommendations on the layout of the report. I have all the information - its just the heading used. I was going to go for :

Introduction (include theories, methodology and detailed introduction(

Physical Factors affecting the scale of impacts for tectonic hazards and disaster (Magnitude, Frequency, VEI, areal extent, focal depth, tremors, duration with case studies for each comparing range of scale)

Human Factors affecting the scale of impacts for tectonic hazards and disaster (economic development, socio/political, time of day, population)

Conclsuion

With my teacher saying this structure is fine to use, but after reading through the thread and other sources theres a voice in the back of my head thinking this isn't right / theres a better structure. Any help guys?

Still think this is harsh by edexcel, to have the two exams three days between each other with a report to be made.. i know this is pre-release, but my personal view is that it should be coursework!
Original post by Chris2
Hey guys
First of all, even though this is not a thread asked by me, all the information in this thread is extremely helpful!
I was just wondering if anyone has any reccommendations on the layout of the report. I have all the information - its just the heading used. I was going to go for :

Physical Factors affecting the scale of impacts for tectonic hazards and disaster (Magnitude, Frequency, VEI, areal extent, focal depth, tremors, duration with case studies for each comparing range of scale)

Human Factors affecting the scale of impacts for tectonic hazards and disaster (economic development, socio/political, time of day, population)

Conclsuion

With my teacher saying this structure is fine to use, but after reading through the thread and other sources theres a voice in the back of my head thinking this isn't right / theres a better structure. Any help guys?

Still think this is harsh by edexcel, to have the two exams three days between each other with a report to be made.. i know this is pre-release, but my personal view is that it should be coursework!

If this helps then thats the exact one I am going to use :smile:
Reply 67
what physical factors can you compare montserrat and iceland with?
what do you say in the evaluation?
what models would everyone use and why would you use them?
conclusion?

will neg
Reply 68
or rep*
Reply 69
Original post by Chris2

Original post by Chris2

I think this should've been coursework too. It's such a long process. what are they thinking?
Reply 70
Do you think the Eyjafjallajokul (Iceland) volcano in 2010 could be compared with the Grimsvotn (Iceland) volcano in 2011 for areal extent?

My reasoning is that the volcano in 2010 disrupted flights destined all around the world whilst the volcano in 2011 only reached Northern Germany and Nothern England.

Thanks alot for any help.
Reply 71
Original post by Chris2
Hey guys

Conclsuion

Can I ask how much detail you are putting in for each physical and human factor as I feel that you have alot of different factors? Could you give me an example of one of your factors paragraphs? Sorry if this is coming across rude :smile:
Thanks.
Reply 72
Original post by KDSOC
Can I ask how much detail you are putting in for each physical and human factor as I feel that you have alot of different factors? Could you give me an example of one of your factors paragraphs? Sorry if this is coming across rude :smile:
Thanks.

seeing as im doing the same factors it really depends on the factors, for magnitude i may do 1/2 a page, but for tremors or duration only about 10 lines or so, but always conclude at each factors that's the key. Oh a lots of these factors interlink such as VEI and Magnitude and Frequency.
Reply 73
Original post by Chris2

Couldn't agree more I don't think they even give us enough time to write the report in the exam either :frown:
Reply 74
Just Wondering what I could add to this aswell

Factors that make tectonic activity hazardous

Human
. population density
. preperation
. awareness
. level of development
. proximity to hazard

Physical
. Frequency
. Duration
. geology
. magnitude
. topography
. boundary type
. magma type
. epicentre
Reply 75
Original post by KDSOC
Do you think the Eyjafjallajokul (Iceland) volcano in 2010 could be compared with the Grimsvotn (Iceland) volcano in 2011 for areal extent?

My reasoning is that the volcano in 2010 disrupted flights destined all around the world whilst the volcano in 2011 only reached Northern Germany and Nothern England.

Thanks alot for any help.

I'm going to be comparing it to pinatubo 1991 in the exam due to the fact that pinatubo despite being the bigger erution caused less damage economic wise than Eyjafjallajokul did
Reply 76
How much detail do you think each case study needs?
Reply 77
Original post by Georgeyy
I'm going to be comparing it to pinatubo 1991 in the exam due to the fact that pinatubo despite being the bigger erution caused less damage economic wise than Eyjafjallajokul did

Did it cause less damage because it had a smaller areal extent?
Reply 78
Original post by Spook-LD
How much detail do you think each case study needs?

Go through each of the factors for both human and physical and attach case studies to them. Only use statistics that are useful to the factor, so for example your talking about how Haiti has poor development and infrastructure mentions its GDP, HDI. Things like that
Reply 79
I may be over complicating myself, but in the research section of the pre release, its talking about contrasting locations and the scale of impacts. Could there be anyway that the impact on the landscape could come up?

Also, i do not want to appear stupid, but in terms of methodology, do you simply back up why you chose a case study or have i got this completely wrong?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending