The Student Room Group

Higher History Essay Help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anthonyfl
I'm considering choosing either AH History or English. Could you recommend the easiest/ most interesting? Thanks :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hi there! :smile: I'm going to try and reply to this now :biggrin:

Generally, choosing either AH English or History depends on your interests. I absolutely loved English at Higher and I was genuinely interested in it but I always found it much harder than History. Whereas, I thought Higher History was a little easy but to be honest, I wasn't that interested - it was just something I learned and wrote about. Therefore, I ended up choosing my three strongest subjects (including AH Spanish) - the ones I thought would be the least troublesome and interesting as well as doing them with my friends. AH English was a must because, like I said, I found it to be an amazing subject and I was considering it at university; I really enjoyed Higher Spanish and considered a degree in it as well so I took the AH; I found Higher History somewhat easy, my friends were taking it and Higher was kind of interesting... But, AH History was a huge mistake.

I really, really didn't enjoy AH History - the amount of things you have to take down is immense. It was really ridiculous at how much knowledge we needed per topic. In AH we studied Germany and about 15 years yet those years felt huge! I just hated going to that class as it was so tiring and boring. Moreover, I hated revising for it or even writing essays. Now, I know what you're thinking: who likes essay writing? Generally, I don't but at least I had interest in my English texts and essay questions and I tried to interpret it my own way and be sophisticated/creative in my responses. AH History, however, was just something I wanted to get out of the way. I hated it. However, I have to admit that AH History gave me some good skills like taking lectures notes for university or taking footnotes down. Furthermore, the amount of things covered in AH History is probably more than what I've covered at university so far - so in that sense, AH History makes the amount of work I've done at university not so bad. :biggrin:

However, that was simply because I didn't enjoy History. A friend of mine loved Higher History and took AH, and she also did Higher English but didn't like it as much and then dropped AH. She did better than me at AH History and for her, it was really interesting and doable; but, she dropped AH English because she felt like she couldn't do it at all. She hated English. It honestly depends on your personal preference.

I will now talk about my preference of English. :smile: I loved Higher; the creative writing folio was so good and interesting and I remember I spent hours if not days and weeks on it! :biggrin: Furthermore, I loved studying and analysing the novels, dramas and poetry. For me, class debates and discussion on literature was unparalleled - it was so interesting and mentally stimulating! :biggrin: I was genuinely looking forward to writing my AH English dissertation! I had dozens of ideas of what I could do it on! Additionally, I was really excited to find out the authors we were covering in class. Eventually, we did Tennessee Williams and I was so happy and ecstatic :biggrin: It was a blast! Janice Galloway...not-so hahaha :wink: But, studying her novels was an experience in itself! Moreover, I was looking forward to AH English Creative Writing and enjoying that class too! :biggrin: All in all, I was genuinely excited for AH English and it was great too - I looked forward to the classes, discussions and books. Having said that, I did have a lot of problems throughout the year (akin to depression I think) which didn't help me much and even made it so that I detested English at one point and stopped trying. But, at the end, no matter what, I never did badly in English - it was always my strong subject! :smile:

Having said everything, honestly do something that you're genuinely interested in. The dissertation is terrifying at first - I hated writing my History one and I found it so hard; yet, my English one was easier to write especially at times when I struggled as I was able to persevere! :smile: I'm kind of glad though that I did AH History as it prepared me for university especially with taking lecture notes, footnoting and organisation of notes in general. However, it was a very painful yet nostalgic experience now that I think about it. :smile: :wink: I loved AH English and although it didn't help me as much with taking lecture notes, it sure did teach me how to write good essays, some footnoting and organising my notes. :smile:

Do what you enjoy and genuinely look forward to is my advice! :smile: If both seem good (as they initially did to me), maybe imagine what you could see yourself doing at university or your spare time? The reason I say this is because either or will take up a lot of motivation and spare time. :smile:

If you need any more information/advice regarding anything I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Quick-use
Hi there! :smile: I'm going to try and reply to this now :biggrin:

Generally, choosing either AH English or History depends on your interests. I absolutely loved English at Higher and I was genuinely interested in it but I always found it much harder than History. Whereas, I thought Higher History was a little easy but to be honest, I wasn't that interested - it was just something I learned and wrote about. Therefore, I ended up choosing my three strongest subjects (including AH Spanish) - the ones I thought would be the least troublesome and interesting as well as doing them with my friends. AH English was a must because, like I said, I found it to be an amazing subject and I was considering it at university; I really enjoyed Higher Spanish and considered a degree in it as well so I took the AH; I found Higher History somewhat easy, my friends were taking it and Higher was kind of interesting... But, AH History was a huge mistake.

I really, really didn't enjoy AH History - the amount of things you have to take down is immense. It was really ridiculous at how much knowledge we needed per topic. In AH we studied Germany and about 15 years yet those years felt huge! I just hated going to that class as it was so tiring and boring. Moreover, I hated revising for it or even writing essays. Now, I know what you're thinking: who likes essay writing? Generally, I don't but at least I had interest in my English texts and essay questions and I tried to interpret it my own way and be sophisticated/creative in my responses. AH History, however, was just something I wanted to get out of the way. I hated it. However, I have to admit that AH History gave me some good skills like taking lectures notes for university or taking footnotes down. Furthermore, the amount of things covered in AH History is probably more than what I've covered at university so far - so in that sense, AH History makes the amount of work I've done at university not so bad. :biggrin:

However, that was simply because I didn't enjoy History. A friend of mine loved Higher History and took AH, and she also did Higher English but didn't like it as much and then dropped AH. She did better than me at AH History and for her, it was really interesting and doable; but, she dropped AH English because she felt like she couldn't do it at all. She hated English. It honestly depends on your personal preference.

I will now talk about my preference of English. :smile: I loved Higher; the creative writing folio was so good and interesting and I remember I spent hours if not days and weeks on it! :biggrin: Furthermore, I loved studying and analysing the novels, dramas and poetry. For me, class debates and discussion on literature was unparalleled - it was so interesting and mentally stimulating! :biggrin: I was genuinely looking forward to writing my AH English dissertation! I had dozens of ideas of what I could do it on! Additionally, I was really excited to find out the authors we were covering in class. Eventually, we did Tennessee Williams and I was so happy and ecstatic :biggrin: It was a blast! Janice Galloway...not-so hahaha :wink: But, studying her novels was an experience in itself! Moreover, I was looking forward to AH English Creative Writing and enjoying that class too! :biggrin: All in all, I was genuinely excited for AH English and it was great too - I looked forward to the classes, discussions and books. Having said that, I did have a lot of problems throughout the year (akin to depression I think) which didn't help me much and even made it so that I detested English at one point and stopped trying. But, at the end, no matter what, I never did badly in English - it was always my strong subject! :smile:

Having said everything, honestly do something that you're genuinely interested in. The dissertation is terrifying at first - I hated writing my History one and I found it so hard; yet, my English one was easier to write especially at times when I struggled as I was able to persevere! :smile: I'm kind of glad though that I did AH History as it prepared me for university especially with taking lecture notes, footnoting and organisation of notes in general. However, it was a very painful yet nostalgic experience now that I think about it. :smile: :wink: I loved AH English and although it didn't help me as much with taking lecture notes, it sure did teach me how to write good essays, some footnoting and organising my notes. :smile:

Do what you enjoy and genuinely look forward to is my advice! :smile: If both seem good (as they initially did to me), maybe imagine what you could see yourself doing at university or your spare time? The reason I say this is because either or will take up a lot of motivation and spare time. :smile:

If you need any more information/advice regarding anything I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask! :smile:

Thanks, this is really good advice! If I tell you I want to study medicine you may be very shocked at my inclination towards English and History, but I do love both! For me, English does seem harder than history, however somehow I am managing to perform better in English (23/25 in my first essay, whereas history was 17/20).

But, I have a plan! In sixth year I'm going to take four subjects and drop the one I dislike the most. It will give me some leeway as to be honest I'll never know which I'll like until I actually begin that specific course.

I'm going to pick three of:
AH Chemistry
AH History or AH English (not both)
H Spanish or H Mandarin (not both)
H Psychology

I'm also definitely taking Higher Biology on top of that :smile:

I absolutely LOVED standard grade Spanish! I feel distraught that I didn't pick it for Higher, but the columns didn't work out and I wasn't confident that I would achieve an A.

I'm so looking forward to sixth year! It will allow me to do subjects I will enjoy a lot more (Spanish, Mandarin, Psychology, Biology).

Once again, thanks for your help :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have done Britain and i got 20/20 for liberals and a few others and currently doing my labour essay the best way to get high marks is to start of with an intro and state a few bits of background information such as the beveridge report of any problems ww2 caused and say all the five giants then state whats factors you will discuss in your essay then create an argument which can change or stay the same so you can say what factor you felt was the most important e.g. Disease then go on to explain all of the five giants and analyse like everything so if you write something always ask yourself why and always write therefore or this shows etc to get evaluation marks always refer back to question and then state if it was effective or not then say if another factor was more important then for a conclusion just sum up every paragraph then finalise your argument.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending