The Student Room Group

Touch typing?

So my current typing speed is around 70 wpm - pretty average - but I use the old two-fingered "Hunt and Peck" style of typing and I don't think I could get much beyond 70 with it, so I want to learn how to touch-type. Are there any formal courses or organisations which accredit things like this? I've seen a lot of secretarial jobs asking for things like "RSA II" and "RSA III", are these pretty much the standard?

I found this website:
http://www.keynet-training.co.uk/

and it seems to offer a lot of typing/secretarial courses but I'm not sure how much they cost or if it will be worth the expense. What is your touch-typing speed and what do you think is necessary for most office jobs? 80-90wpm?
Original post by AmyJ
So my current typing speed is around 70 wpm - pretty average - but I use the old two-fingered "Hunt and Peck" style of typing and I don't think I could get much beyond 70 with it, so I want to learn how to touch-type. Are there any formal courses or organisations which accredit things like this? I've seen a lot of secretarial jobs asking for things like "RSA II" and "RSA III", are these pretty much the standard?

I found this website:
http://www.keynet-training.co.uk/

and it seems to offer a lot of typing/secretarial courses but I'm not sure how much they cost or if it will be worth the expense. What is your touch-typing speed and what do you think is necessary for most office jobs? 80-90wpm?

I don't think you need to have a certain speed of typing
Just not the "really slow typer" or a typer who gets loads of spelling errors when typing really quickly.
Usually they are quite expensive
But it's just a matter of getting used to typing using touch type :biggrin:
YOUTUBE some tutorials?:biggrin: (much cheaper, and may be more worth it)
Reply 2
If you want to learn to touch type check this website out. I used it when I wanted to learn how to do it about a year ago and found it quite helpful.

I'm still not perfect at typing yet but I find it almost impossible to use just two fingers to type on a keyboard now :tongue:
Reply 3
There are various websites you can use for learning, keybr.com is one that I use
Reply 4
70wpm is very good for someone that only uses 2 fingers. I tend to use quite a few fingers, and I think my average is 70-110wpm depending.
Reply 5
70 wpm is actually ideal typing rate. Most office's prefer 70 -75 wpm.
We used to teach kids to touch type by putting an upside down show box over the keyboards. There was a programme that we used but I can't remember what it was called, mind you it would probably be too basic for most people.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
I can whack out up to 100wpm without touch typing :biggrin:
One of the benefits of being a gamer :wink:
yeah, i think so, 70 wpm is actually ideal typing rate. Most office's prefer 70 -75 wpm.thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending