The Student Room Group

What would happen if someone didn't declare points to their insurance?

So I think I got flashed today by a speed camera , I was travelling 7 - 15 mph over the limit, my first renewal is due in 2 months, just wondered if I were to get 3 points and I didn't declare it to my insurance, just wondered where I'd stand?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also how long do points remain on license for?
Reply 2
Insurers will look for any excuse to invalidate a claim so I'd declare them personally, and based on what happened with a friend his premium only went up by ~£30 anyways. As for the points they go 4 years after the date of the offence (check the Gov.uk webpage).
Reply 3
Original post by Alex_HW
Insurers will look for any excuse to invalidate a claim so I'd declare them personally, and based on what happened with a friend his premium only went up by ~£30 anyways. As for the points they go 4 years after the date of the offence (check the Gov.uk webpage).

£30 extra per month or year?
Reply 4
Original post by Short Shortz
Also how long do points remain on license for?

Depends what you got them for.

It's all on the DVLA website if you can be bothered to look.
Reply 5
£30 extra per month or year?

£30 per year. I reckon he would have given up driving if it was per month!
if you were in a crash and you had to involved the insurance company, they would most likely find out and cancel your insurance policy.
Reply 7
Original post by Bellissima
if you were in a crash and you had to involved the insurance company, they would most likely find out and cancel your insurance policy.

I went onto my insurance website and filled out a new quote, I added I have 3 points, it was unable to quote me due to traffic violations, if I rung them up do you think they'd insure me over the phone after explaining it to them?
I'm still insured now but if I do get points and have to inform them, I'm just curious , if it turns out they will refuse to provide me with further insurance then I will keep it quiet
Original post by Bellissima

I agree.
This would happen.
I believe points stay on your licence for 3/4 years after the offence. You have to declare them to the insurance for 5 years though.
I went onto my insurance website and filled out a new quote, I added I have 3 points, it was unable to quote me due to traffic violations, if I rung them up do you think they'd insure me over the phone after explaining it to them?
I'm still insured now but if I do get points and have to inform them, I'm just curious , if it turns out they will refuse to provide me with further insurance then I will keep it quiet

If you phoned then up to tell them about the points, they would still insure you for the remainder of the policy. Theres a chance they might put the price up a bit though. Come renewal time, they legally have to give you a renewal quote. What they can do however if they dont really want to insure you (due to points etc) is give you a really high quote that you wont pay which will make you go elsewhere for your insurance.
Reply 10
Original post by Emma:-)
If you phoned then up to tell them about the points, they would still insure you for the remainder of the policy. Theres a chance they might put the price up a bit though. Come renewal time, they legally have to give you a renewal quote. What they can do however if they dont really want to insure you (due to points etc) is give you a really high quote that you wont pay which will make you go elsewhere for your insurance.

thank's for the advice.

Why do they legally have to give me a renewal though?

Also if it turns out I get 3 points and a fine am I eligible for a speed awareness programme and if so would that mean instead of paying the £60 penalty that I'd just pay for the course instead and not get any penalty points?
thank's for the advice.

Why do they legally have to give me a renewal though?

Also if it turns out I get 3 points and a fine am I eligible for a speed awareness programme and if so would that mean instead of paying the £60 penalty that I'd just pay for the course instead and not get any penalty points?

Im not sure why they have to send you a renewal quote, but they have to. I think its bacisally to give you the oportunity to shop around for your insurance, so you can either stay with them or go elsewhere. If they want you to stay with them, then they will offer you a decent quote. If they dont really want you, (due to points, you being high risk etc etc) then they can give you a rubbish quote.
If you get offered the speed awareness course id take it. I think you have to pay to do it though (£100 ish?), but its cheaper then the £60 fine plus the cost of your insurance going up. Not all places offer it though i dont think.
If you get offered the speed awareness course, you can take that and do it instead of getting the 3 points and the fine. If you do the speed awareness course, then you dont have to inform your insurance of that and your insurance wont go up, because you do the course instead of getting a conviction (the conviction being the 3 points and the fine). You dont have to tell them about speed awareness courses, and you wont have any convictions/points/fines or anything to tell them about.
Reply 12
Im not sure why they have to send you a renewal quote, but they have to. I think its bacisally to give you the oportunity to shop around for your insurance, so you can either stay with them or go elsewhere. If they want you to stay with them, then they will offer you a decent quote. If they dont really want you, (due to points, you being high risk etc etc) then they can give you a rubbish quote.
If you get offered the speed awareness course id take it. I think you have to pay to do it though (£100 ish?), but its cheaper then the £60 fine plus the cost of your insurance going up. Not all places offer it though i dont think.
If you get offered the speed awareness course, you can take that and do it instead of getting the 3 points and the fine. If you do the speed awareness course, then you dont have to inform your insurance of that and your insurance wont go up, because you do the course instead of getting a conviction (the conviction being the 3 points and the fine). You dont have to tell them about speed awareness courses, and you wont have any convictions/points/fines or anything to tell them about.

The place I think I got flashed was in Liverpool, I know they have courses in Kirby and another local one, if they don't send me a letter asking if I'd like to enroll, could I just book it anyway?
The place I think I got flashed was in Liverpool, I know they have courses in Kirby and another local one, if they don't send me a letter asking if I'd like to enroll, could I just book it anyway?

Assuming you have definitely got caught speeding, they will send you the letter saying your car was caught speeding etc. And you will have to send the thing back confirming it was you who was driving. If they do the course around your area, they will give you the opportunity to enrol on it (and will explain what to do etc). Otherwise, they will just issue the £60 fine and 3 points.
If you get points then you have to inform your insurance company once you have the points - not telling them until you renew your policy could well still invalidate your insurance - it comes under the bit where you agree to tell them of any changes in circumstances. So whether it is points/modifications to your car etc, if you don't notify them and then try to claim on your insurance you risk them invalidating it meaning your insurance is totally worthless.

Equally, when you renew your policy/get quotes from anywhere else you need to tell them, yes it will make it more expensive - but still a damn sight cheaper than being found having no valid insurance would be! Insurance companies will increase your premium - the amount will vary depending on what the points are for, how old you are, how long you have been driving. But it can be a substantial amount, or can be fairly small, depending on those factors. Points are valid in terms of adding up to disqualification etc for 3 years, but they appear on your licence for 5 years and most insurance companies will ask if you have any points within 5 years.

If you get the option of a speed awareness course then you don't have points on your licence and therefore the insurance company won't increase your premium. I've been on one of these courses recently and was told whilst there that we should have informed our insurance company that we have a NIP for speeding, which was pending, as until we have successfully been on/taken part in the course the insurance company should be informed, so again, could try and invalidate insurance. In reality, since none of the paperwork I had been sent said this on it, I would argue that it wasn't explained that we needed to do this - whether than would have worked if there had been a problem, I don't know!
Reply 15
Assuming you have definitely got caught speeding, they will send you the letter saying your car was caught speeding etc. And you will have to send the thing back confirming it was you who was driving. If they do the course around your area, they will give you the opportunity to enrol on it (and will explain what to do etc). Otherwise, they will just issue the £60 fine and 3 points.

I don't actually live in Liverpool but I live a short way away, will that be an issue for eligibility?
Original post by kookabura
If you get points then you have to inform your insurance company once you have the points - not telling them until you renew your policy could well still invalidate your insurance - it comes under the bit where you agree to tell them of any changes in circumstances. So whether it is points/modifications to your car etc, if you don't notify them and then try to claim on your insurance you risk them invalidating it meaning your insurance is totally worthless.

Equally, when you renew your policy/get quotes from anywhere else you need to tell them, yes it will make it more expensive - but still a damn sight cheaper than being found having no valid insurance would be! Insurance companies will increase your premium - the amount will vary depending on what the points are for, how old you are, how long you have been driving. But it can be a substantial amount, or can be fairly small, depending on those factors. Points are valid in terms of adding up to disqualification etc for 3 years, but they appear on your licence for 5 years and most insurance companies will ask if you have any points within 5 years.

If you get the option of a speed awareness course then you don't have points on your licence and therefore the insurance company won't increase your premium. I've been on one of these courses recently and was told whilst there that we should have informed our insurance company that we have a NIP for speeding, which was pending, as until we have successfully been on/taken part in the course the insurance company should be informed, so again, could try and invalidate insurance. In reality, since none of the paperwork I had been sent said this on it, I would argue that it wasn't explained that we needed to do this - whether than would have worked if there had been a problem, I don't know!

Hi, they offer courses in Liverpool but I don't actually live their, I live about a 20 minute drive away, do you actually have to be from that area to enroll?
I don't actually live in Liverpool but I live a short way away, will that be an issue for eligibility?

Hi, they offer courses in Liverpool but I don't actually live their, I live about a 20 minute drive away, do you actually have to be from that area to enroll?

Im not sure what the eligibility is for the speed awareness courses. I know they do the courses in some areas and not others. But apart from that, im not sure how they decide who and who not to offer the course to
Reply 17
Im not sure what the eligibility is for the speed awareness courses. I know they do the courses in some areas and not others. But apart from that, im not sure how they decide who and who not to offer the course to

Okay, thank you
Okay, thank you

Im sure if you looked on the internet, i bet there would be plenty of information on there about it.

When/if you get a NIP through the post you have to complete that and return it confirming that it was you driving the car etc. There is a box to tick saying that if you are eligible then you would like/are willing to take a speed awareness course.

You then send that off and wait and see if they send you the offer of a course of the points and a fine. The option of the course depends on the police area that you committed the offence in. Some constabularys offer them - some don't. I was offered one by the Nottingham constabulary but chose to do the course at a place in London as that is where I am at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending