The difference between Quota & Stratified sampling?

Watch
caitcharlotte
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey, I really can't get my head around the difference between quota & stratified sampling help!?
Maicccccmannnn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cchalfpenny)
Hey, I really can't get my head around the difference between quota & stratified sampling help!?
Stratified sample = a sample including each sub category of the target population

So for example, if your target population is Birmingham University students, each sub category would include each University degree; English students, Law students, Psychology students, Engineering students, Mathematics students etc.

Quota sample = a sample including a pre determined % of each sub category of the target population

So for example, if your target population is Birmingham University students, each sub category would have an assigned required %; 10% of English students, 20% of Law students, 5% of Psychology students, 5% of Engineering students and 60% of Mathematics students.

So a stratified sample is a sample including each sub category of a target population, whilst a quote sample determines what % of each sub category of the target population is required.

In practice, there used together. That is because it's impractical to ever use 100% of each sub category of the target population.

Quote me if you need any further clarification.
EddyDaly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Does that mean a quota sample is a sample on the market segment in relation to how big that market segment is in the market and stratified sampling is just sampling based on how many market segments there are in the market?
reagan1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
**** sampling
German123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cchalfpenny)
http://www.hegartymaths.com/gcse/ede...ified-sampling
newguy101
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fantastic
thank you
Hah993
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Still no offer from Bristol, Comp Sci and Maths. Hurts .
ismail.peerbocus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what if they are the same percentages?
GiveMeCoffee4
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ismail.peerbocus)
what if they are the same percentages?
They may be, for example if gender is the variable, both should lead to 50:50. Stratified samples are normally more reliable, as the exact proportions are accounted for, wheras quota may not be. For example, you have race as a variable, and do 25 Carribean, 25 Asian, 25 Latino and 25 White, this may be different than the actual ratios. The stratified may be more like this: 18 Carribean, 7 Asian, 12 Latino, 63 White. The proportions mean that the stratified sample is more representative.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (31)
38.75%
Take exams next summer (17)
21.25%
Change uni choice through clearing (21)
26.25%
Apply to uni next year instead (9)
11.25%
I'm not applying to university (2)
2.5%

Watched Threads