Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering whether anyone here who has got an offer at Oxbridge ever wonders whether they're really good enough? I know I can get the grades required for my offer, but I wonder whether I'm going to be good enough when I get there. I'm scared everyone will be geniuses - arghhhh!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Just wondering whether anyone here who has got an offer at Oxbridge ever wonders whether they're really good enough? I know I can get the grades required for my offer, but I wonder whether I'm going to be good enough when I get there. I'm scared everyone will be geniuses - arghhhh!!!!!

It doesn't end - I spend a lot of my time in Oxford wondering the same thing...

ReputationRep:
    No No No - this is not the case. In my view virtually everybody here (99 - 99.5%) is good enough to be here. Also about 60-70% of people have the ability to get firsts. Its just that they see people cleverer than them and convince themselves they're stupid. This is the main reason why people don't get firsts. Trust me, all you have to do is believe (and work very hard) in yourself and you will fulfil your potential. Some people do not believe in themselves and thereofre do not do as well as they could. This is the key I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    I have an (post A-level) unconditional offer from Cambrdige , and not being British I have no idea of the academic standard expeected. But if everyone turned down their offer because there might be someone better than them, then noone would ever go there. Nice piece of reasoning don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_R)
    No No No - this is not the case. In my view virtually everybody here (99 - 99.5%) is good enough to be here. Also about 60-70% of people have the ability to get firsts. Its just that they see people cleverer than them and convince themselves they're stupid. This is the main reason why people don't get firsts. Trust me, all you have to do is believe (and work very hard) in yourself and you will fulfil your potential. Some people do not believe in themselves and thereofre do not do as well as they could. This is the key I'm sure.
    <----see, and having people like Alex on my course is why some of us are so paranoid that we are destined to be failures!

Everyone worries that they're not good enough and that they were the one that the college let in by mistake. Just don't worry about it too much; enjoy your time here and make the most of it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Hoofbeat, glad you made it here.

I know what you mean, I'm especially worried about not having taken further maths because I hope to be doing a mathematical science which means there will be people in my class having done so much more than me, like upto M6/P6.

But I think it is all hard work and believe you can do it. It has been upto where I am now, why should that change?

ReputationRep:

One of the nicest things about Oxford is that you don't have to measure up to other people all the time. You can go through the entire course not really knowing how you compare to other students until its all over. Its quite liberating really - it means you can go at your own pace. I guess it might depend on your college, but it seems really relaxed to be perfectly honested.
    By the way, no one will be accepted if they're not expected to be capable of getting at least a 2.1, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    i understand where you're coming from completely though- i'm still very confused as to why i received an offer,i went on this german residential course over the summer and lots of the people on that, people who linguistically are so much better than me, didn't get places. i know they look for potential and ability to think laterally blah blah, but it didn't come across at all at my interviews.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder every single day whether I am good enough. It's very common. I look out of the window and think how many people deserve the place more than I do. But you really can't think like that all the time; you just have to get on with things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    I know what you mean, I'm especially worried about not having taken further maths because I hope to be doing a mathematical science which means there will be people in my class having done so much more than me, like upto M6/P6.
    I know what you mean! I'm doing Physics and haven't done fuirther maths! arghhh! going to attempt to teach myself some ofer the summer hols!

ReputationRep:
    Someone should make this thread into a poll

MB

ReputationRep:
    I worry about that.

But i went to a day for people with offers for vet med, and although we wernt talking academic stuff, everyone seemed really normal. You are built up to believe that you are really against all these amazing people, and you tend to think theyre all better than you, when infact everyones probably fairly similar. Oh course, theres always going to be those brainiacs who dont have to do anything to get a first, but thats life!

ReputationRep:
    At Cambridge. Have absolute genius supervision partner for three of my four weekly supervisions. Nuff said!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    At Cambridge. Have absolute genius supervision partner for three of my four weekly supervisions. Nuff said!
    Most of my supervision partners are Chinese. Nuff said!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)

Ben
    everyone around me is aiming 4 a 1st..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edwardbrooks)
    There isn't any harm aiming for one - just make sure that you can accept you may not actually end up getting one! That can be quite hard to take. Where are you, by the way?

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edwardbrooks)
    Ah, it's so nice to be among normal mortals in my college

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually looking forward to having a challenge (AS levels were so boring) and NOT having to be top in the class anymore. No more feeling of people breathing down your neck, waiting for you to slip up so tha they can crow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)

Ben
    LOL - We've got loads of Chinese here..., whic hreminds me of an interesting story I haerd last year. A mate of mine nearly fell asleep in the library, so a Chinese girl sitting next to him offered him eyedrops that would keep his eyes open. Hours later, when he was really tired and wanted to go to bed, he still couldn't physically go to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    yea... agree with the point of wanting a change. finally you can do something, which you like and not do things you don't like (phys chem phil)

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.