The difference between a PGCE and a PGDE? Watch

Samus2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm looking at some universities to apply to next year and I'm a bit confused with the difference between a PGCE and a PGDE?

Just wondering if someone can shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!
StarBabyCat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was always under the impression that PGDE was just the Scottish equivalent? Not 100% sure but I think so. Its definitely a Scottish qualification.
Samus2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by StarBabyCat)
I was always under the impression that PGDE was just the Scottish equivalent? Not 100% sure but I think so. Its definitely a Scottish qualification.
That's only the info I can really find about it...
My main questions are whether or not it makes you suitable to teach in England or just Scotland...
University of Bolton
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Samus2)
I'm looking at some universities to apply to next year and I'm a bit confused with the difference between a PGCE and a PGDE?

Just wondering if someone can shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!
Hi,

The PGDE is the equivalent of a PGCE. The qualifications were renamed in the 2007 review of Post Compulsory teacher training and became Level 6 Diplomas.

They are commonly called PCET qualifications - Post Compulsory Education and Training. From April this year those with QTLS (completed after the PGDE) can work in a school and teach post 14 on the same basis as those with QTS.

Do Great Things - University of Bolton
tom-allcock
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would love to know more about the differences since I have just gained a place on a primary pgde. I can't find much online though.
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I thought it was about the number of academic credits. So a PGCE is a post graduate certificate in education which is 60 credits at postgraduate level whilst a PGDE is a postgraduate diploma in education which is 120 credits at postgraduate level.

So as i understand it, PGCE is what you need to do and PGDE is just a few more essays for more credits.
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
http://www.hope.ac.uk/pgce/pgcecours...educationpgde/

see under the section titled curriculum.

I don't want to take on the big boys (UofB) but I'm pretty darn sure that there is a difference between PGCE and PGDE in terms of number of credits (so the PGDE probably requires a few more essays OP. both will get you the qualification you need to teach).
Robinsong
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
PGDE - Post Grad Diploma in Education (Scotland)
PGCE - Post Grad Certificate in Education (England)

Pretty much the same thing really. I live in Dumfries, SW Scotland, and I live about 30 minutes from Carlisle, England. I have applied for primary Education in both Scottish universities and Carlisle (UoC). It's PGDEs here and PGCE in Carlisle. Both give you the same outcome at the end.
Dave54
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was awarded my PGDE at the University of Bolton. It is not recognised by many employers. The ones that do think it is a Scottish only qualification, and then dismiss it. I've thought of contacting the NARIC for a letter of comparability.
Dave54
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Please will someone tell employers in England about the PGDE. The one I took at the University of Bolton is near useless.
Dave54
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
PGDE not just a Scottish qualification. I got mine from University of Bolton. Liverpool University also have a PGDE course.
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dave54)
Please will someone tell employers in England about the PGDE. The one I took at the University of Bolton is near useless.
That's really worrying.

There are so many different post 16 teaching qualifications that it can be so hard to know which course to choose.

I enquired at the university of Bolton about doing the course of which you speak but they told me what hours they expected from you and I was like ouch.

Maybe you could put a small blurb on your cv about the qualification. Mention the level of it, the number of teaching hours experience you had to put in for it and the fact that is is LSIS recognised.
Dave54
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Great course at Bolton. Fantastic tutors but they don't tell you that you will be constantly educating employers about the PGDE. They simply do not know what it is. Recently I had an interview with Oxford uni, even they had never heard of it. If given the choice again I would opt for the PGCE.
Sam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am going to be starting a PGCEI and want to know about the probationary year, when its completed. I am doing it abroad but through an English Uni. How long can you leave it after to do your probationary year once the PGCE is complete? Thanks in advance!!
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sam277)
I am going to be starting a PGCEI and want to know about the probationary year, when its completed. I am doing it abroad but through an English Uni. How long can you leave it after to do your probationary year once the PGCE is complete? Thanks in advance!!
Ask the university you are doing the course with.

Or perhaps Mr M can assist?
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jneill)
Ask the university you are doing the course with.

Or perhaps Mr M can assist?
There's no time limit for starting or completing your NQT year following a conventional PGCE.

I don't know anything about PGCEi though and this might be completely different.
SuspectPackage
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sam277)
You will not receive QTS with only the PGCEI (International PGCE) as there is no placement involved.

You can't enter the NQT year with it.
Sam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes, I have to have a teaching placement for the year and I do...
SuspectPackage
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh that's interesting, where are you doing the PGCEi?

I'm familiar with the one from Nottingham, and the rules are quite clear there.

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/educati...structure.aspx

sophie20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dave54)
I was awarded my PGDE at the University of Bolton. It is not recognised by many employers. The ones that do think it is a Scottish only qualification, and then dismiss it. I've thought of contacting the NARIC for a letter of comparability.
Hi Dave,

Is the PGDE you did at Bolton the 14+ one? I'm currently looking into 14+ PGCE but I'm a bit worried now that it will not be recongised.

Could I ask whether you enjoyed the course? Did you feel supported etc?

Thanks in advance!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed