The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Illegally Downloading

What is the punishment for illegally downloading music at Lancaster University?

Also, who does it here?
There's a punishment?

:bawling:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Information Services will come into your student dorm and strangle you with a USB cable to keep you quiet. Then they will take you back to the lab and hook you up to their diagnostics test where they will run tests on you and using AI will alter your genetic makeup and turn you into a different person.
Reply 3
Lol don't make me laugh there will be so many cases of illegal downloading that they wont know who to go after first. Dont worry about it
people that are caught illegally downloading are kidnapped and burnt at the stake during Bowland Extrav
Reply 5
Original post by castlemadeofsand
people that are caught illegally downloading are kidnapped and burnt at the stake during Bowland Extrav

They would be the only people at Bowland Extrav
neuralizer-men-in-black.jpg
Original post by Cephalus
Lol don't make me laugh there will be so many cases of illegal downloading that they wont know who to go after first. Dont worry about it

They used to have a method for large mutinies where they couldn't punish everyone... excecute one in ten.

OP, get to a room that's least existant modulo ten, then stay there!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Apparently they're planning on fining anybody who torrents, even legal torrents, now.
Original post by Manitude
Apparently they're planning on fining anybody who torrents, even legal torrents, now.

Bloody ridiculous tbh. I use legal torrents all the time - mainly custom ROMs for my phone. I'd be furious if someone tried to fine me for that.
Reply 10
Original post by mikeyd85
Bloody ridiculous tbh. I use legal torrents all the time - mainly custom ROMs for my phone. I'd be furious if someone tried to fine me for that.

Likewise. I don't use torrents at all, but there's a few things I've seen where they can be legally torrented from the person who made them (thus owning all copyrights and so on) and it seems ridiculous that they won't distinguish between legal and illegal torrenting. Maybe it would be possible to appeal and prove that you've done nothing wrong top get the fine waived. Or, don't live on campus :p:
Reply 11
The information posted here is incorrect. The university does not automatically fine anybody that uses torrents.

If I can point you in the direction of the Lancaster University reddit page, reddit poster Melair works for the ISS department and addressed this question here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/lancasteruni/comments/10gr27/question_about_torrents/c6dl7ax

The post is two months old but I've just checked with them and the information is still valid. Action is only taken against a user if the university is served with an infringement notice by the copyright holder, which then prompts an investigation by ISS, and if they find evidence then you get a fine (or worse, if you've been unlucky and got caught a few times).
Reply 12
Death by CD.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending