How do you structure a 25 mark essay for ECONOMICS Watch

ineedtorevise127
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am not sure how to structure a 25 mark essay?

How can I get 25/25?
username807367
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Assuming AQA, What kind of economics? Micro, Macro or Business? (I think there's another one but I haven't studied that yet)
ineedtorevise127
Rep:
?
(Original post by hrbrox)
Assuming AQA, What kind of economics? Micro, Macro or Business? (I think there's another one but I haven't studied that yet)
AQA
AdvStudy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm now A2, but the structure I was taught will be below. Will use an example question from the June 2011 paper.

"Extract F (lines 7–8) states: ‘Supply-side policies will also contribute to lower inflation’.

Using the data and your economic knowledge, evaluate the importance of supply-side policies in helping to control inflation in the UK. (25 marks)"

Definition - Define at least one keyword for 2 marks. You are allowed to define up to 2 key words which gets you 4 marks.

Define supply-side policies and inflation

Adv of question - Advantages of supply-side policies in controlling inflation. Use diagrams.

1. LRAS shifting to right
  2. Lower inflation (assuming economy is to some extent overheating, or at the very least, not on the excess capacity stage)
  3. Achieve all four macro-economic indicators

Disadvantages of question - Disadvantages of supply-side policies in controlling inflation.

1. Time lag - takes years
  2. External events may affect success of policy e.g. current Eurozone crisis / previous recessions
  3. Perhaps not as effective as other economic policies to control inflation - leads to next paragraph

Alternatives to question - Alternative economic policy that controls inflation

1. Expansionary fiscal
  2. Contractionary fiscal
  3. Expansionary monetary
  4. Contractionary monetary

Include a diagram if you have time

Conclusion - Always start conclusion with question to keep on track, so:

"The extent to which supply-side policies control inflation..."

Summarise adv, disadv and alternative

Get a lot of eval marks in conclusion, make sure it isn't weak
ineedtorevise127
Rep:
?
(Original post by AdvStudy)
I'm now A2, but the structure I was taught will be below. Will use an example question from the June 2011 paper.

"Extract F (lines 7–8) states: ‘Supply-side policies will also contribute to lower inflation’.

Using the data and your economic knowledge, evaluate the importance of supply-side policies in helping to control inflation in the UK. (25 marks)"

Definition - Define at least one keyword for 2 marks. You are allowed to define up to 2 key words which gets you 4 marks.

Define supply-side policies and inflation

Adv of question - Advantages of supply-side policies in controlling inflation. Use diagrams.

1. LRAS shifting to right
  2. Lower inflation (assuming economy is to some extent overheating, or at the very least, not on the excess capacity stage)
  3. Achieve all four macro-economic indicators

Disadvantages of question - Disadvantages of supply-side policies in controlling inflation.

1. Time lag - takes years
  2. External events may affect success of policy e.g. current Eurozone crisis / previous recessions
  3. Perhaps not as effective as other economic policies to control inflation - leads to next paragraph

Alternatives to question - Alternative economic policy that controls inflation

1. Expansionary fiscal
  2. Contractionary fiscal
  3. Expansionary monetary
  4. Contractionary monetary

Include a diagram if you have time

Conclusion - Always start conclusion with question to keep on track, so:

"The extent to which supply-side policies control inflation..."

Summarise adv, disadv and alternative

Get a lot of eval marks in conclusion, make sure it isn't weak
Thanks so much how much are diagrams worth roughly and can you explain to be evaluation properly please cause I keep confusing it with analysis
Alex-Torres
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

this videos sheds some light on how to structure it properly.
jakethecake2008
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Extremely hard to get 25/25. Have to consistently convince the examiner that you fully understand the question, with no blips or contradictions in your writing. Try and evaluate throughout your argument. Use diagrams to illustrate your points (try to use more exciting ones than AD/AS). Exhaust your argument by analysing each issue to death... Try to do 3 issues if you want higher marks, and apply your answers as part of your evaluation. 'The AD increase may not be as bad on the B.O.P because AD in the UK is already low due to the current recession' Conclusions should never be underestimated, this is your last chance to convince the examiner that you understand what you are talking about. You have to chuck in some evaluation and use your conclusion to provide a well supported persuasive judgement to convince them. Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads