The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think the question is misleading. I dont think the world would be a better place without nationalism. However, a world where nationalism has no need to exist would be the ideal.

Nationalism, in its serious, political sense, only finds a function where there is a society in severe strife. The most severe, historical example of nationalism, Nazism, materialised primarily as a reaction to widespread poverty and economic depression as a result of WWI. In depressed times people cling to a notion that gives them a sense of being. Capitalism itself fails to do this - nationalism, however. gives everyone a place in society (a nation/race united where every individual plays an important part in the building of the great society).

Other examples of this is the rise of the ultra-nationalist BNP in Oldham, Burnley and other areas in the north. The one thing all these places have in common is that capitalism has failed them. Living a couple of miles from a place where the BNP came a close 3rd in a local election, I can see the old mills and factories that used to bind once strong communities. People used to rely on these mills as a means, not only of economic support, but emotional support - now they only find solice in the fantasy of being united in an effort to build the 'great nation'.

The most negative effect of such nationalism is the absolutely disgusting persecution of asylum seekers and other deprived groups who are constantly lied about by the BNP/NF, New Labour/Conservatives, The Sun, Daily Mail, Express and other bigoted organisations and tabloids.

As I like to say: it should be the disgusting, asylum-seeking bashing racists which should live on an island far, far, away, not the decent foreigners seeking refuge in a country where they almost single-handedly hold up the NHS, education system and the rest of our economy.
Reply 2
You don't choose your country of birth, therefore it is illogical to have nationalistic tendancys.
some current thinkers think that its nationalism that could be the driving force behind democracy, sounds unreal but yes they do think that
Reply 4
Speciez99
some current thinkers think that its nationalism that could be the driving force behind democracy, sounds unreal but yes they do think that

Some current thinkers are idiots.
Reply 5
quinnbrakes
I think in many ways it would anyone think not?

Do you mean the ideology or the sentiment?
Reply 6
The way i was coming at it there are two opposing creeds, cosmopolitism and nationalism. Nationalism is largely decisive and agressive. It is defined by differences. It draws ppl together in opposition to other groups. British nationalism is a case in point being largely defined by giving johnny foreigner a good kicking. This is a bad thing ideologically and practically and has caused much violence through out history.
Reply 7
Well thats a sentiment and not an ideology then.
Reply 8
No both. The devision inherent in the ideology causes negative sentiment. Surely the two arent separable?
Reply 9
quinnbrakes
No both. The devision inherent in the ideology causes negative sentiment. Surely the two arent separable?

I think they can be separable. The ideology comes from issues like self-determination and independence. The sentiment comes from misplaced ideology, so I don't think they go hand in hand.
Reply 10
jammyd
I think they can be separable. The ideology comes from issues like self-determination and independence. The sentiment comes from misplaced ideology, so I don't think they go hand in hand.

but the wish for self-determination and independence is devisive in nature the sentiment although taken to extremes in some circumstances is derived from this.
Reply 11
quinnbrakes
but the wish for self-determination and independence is devisive in nature the sentiment although taken to extremes in some circumstances is derived from this.

Some circumstances yes.
Reply 12
jammyd
Some circumstances yes.

sorry in some circumstances, is derived from this

Latest

Trending

Trending