Turn on thread page Beta

heya all!

*sigh* am veeery annoyed - am an international student, but i don't stay in the country that i am from and warwick only has scholarships for RESIDENTS from that country...!!

also a coupla years ago a friend knew someone who knew someone else that got a full scholarship including board, travel expenses and living expenses... oh oh and i think it also included winter clothing! from LSE - it was an international scholarship and i think there wer about 2 offered to all international students. I know that she had to go for an interview to Hong Kong.. but that's about it - i really can't seem to get in touch with her so i was wondering if anyone knows anything about such a scholarship?

thanx!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nervous)
    heya all!

*sigh* am veeery annoyed - am an international student, but i don't stay in the country that i am from and warwick only has scholarships for RESIDENTS from that country...!!

also a coupla years ago a friend knew someone who knew someone else that got a full scholarship including board, travel expenses and living expenses... oh oh and i think it also included winter clothing! from LSE - it was an international scholarship and i think there wer about 2 offered to all international students. I know that she had to go for an interview to Hong Kong.. but that's about it - i really can't seem to get in touch with her so i was wondering if anyone knows anything about such a scholarship?

thanx!
    LSE do loads, look on their website. I was really annoyed because I am a home student and they do nothing for us, but give loads of money to internationals, grrrrrrr!

ReputationRep:
    LSE's scholarships are pretty specific, good luck if you want to try but only a vast minority actually get anything.

As for scholarships being intl based, I found that there's also a bias towards underperforming areas of London. However, remember that international students pay over £10k pa to study here, whereas home students only pay £1125.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuvverRussia)
    LSE's scholarships are pretty specific, good luck if you want to try but only a vast minority actually get anything.

As for scholarships being intl based, I found that there's also a bias towards underperforming areas of London. However, remember that international students pay over £10k pa to study here, whereas home students only pay £1125.
    LSE gives £4.5 million a year in financial aid to students, as far as I know it's not restricted to international students..

ReputationRep:
    I'm an intenrational student too and a few months ago, Warwick sent me this booklet that gives you lots of details about international scholarships, including an application form.

Did you get that booklet? You could always call up the international office if you haven't, or just send them an email.

I'm not interested in Warwick so yeh.... scholarship or not, I won't go.

xoxo

(Original post by lilsunflower)
    I'm an intenrational student too and a few months ago, Warwick sent me this booklet that gives you lots of details about international scholarships, including an application form.

Did you get that booklet? You could always call up the international office if you haven't, or just send them an email.

I'm not interested in Warwick so yeh.... scholarship or not, I won't go.

xoxo
    heya - yea i did get that booklet and the info on scholarships for Warwick but no application form - maybe they only give it to selected ppl? i dunno... warwick isn't really my first choice, but a scholarship would probably persuade me to go there!!

ReputationRep:

also a coupla years ago a friend knew someone who knew someone else that got a full scholarship including board, travel expenses and living expenses
    I got such a scholarship from Oxford. I know some people who have been offered the LSE scholarship you are talking about. If you prove your academic calibre (preferebly by applying post A level) then they'll give you aid according to your need.

(Original post by CHilL)
    I got such a scholarship from Oxford. I know some people who have been offered the LSE scholarship you are talking about. If you prove your academic calibre (preferebly by applying post A level) then they'll give you aid according to your need.

WOW! that's amazing - a full scholarship from oxford!!!
    well were u just given an application form or did u like search for the scholarship and then apply for it??

also are you an international student?

ReputationRep:
    WOW! that's amazing - a full scholarship from oxford!!!
    well were u just given an application form or did u like search for the scholarship and then apply for it??

also are you an international student?
    The scholarship is mentioned on their website. It's called Oxford Students Scholarship.

Yes, I am an intl student from Pakistan.

ReputationRep:
    They have a lot of scholarships for commonwealth countries/ex-colonies. Pity I'm not from one of those.

ReputationRep:
    The one I got is for people from third world countries or for refugees etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHilL)
    The one I got is for people from third world countries or for refugees etc.
    But I'm sure it's for people who can prove that they have no means at all to pay the huge international fee, or people who are underprivileged, etc., or is it not?

ReputationRep:
    Well, they only asked me what my household income was and whether I would be able to pay anything at all.

The official description goes somethign like this:

A number of Oxford colleges offer scholarships to students from developing countries who, for political or financial reasons, or because equivalent educational facilities do not exist, cannot obtain an education in their own countries. This scheme is only suitable for candidates of the highest academic ability who are able to demonstrate this ability by outstanding examination results. However, financial need and social commitment are also major criteria for selection.

The scholarships are largely financed by undergraduates (jointly with colleges and the University) and cover both University and college tuition fees as well as maintenance for the Scholar (though not for any dependants). Candidates applying to read medicine will not be awarded scholarships due to the length and expense of this course.

There is considerable competition for these awards, and prospective students are asked not to apply unless they have an outstanding academic record.

(Original post by CHilL)
    Well, they only asked me what my household income was and whether I would be able to pay anything at all.

The official description goes somethign like this:

A number of Oxford colleges offer scholarships to students from developing countries who, for political or financial reasons, or because equivalent educational facilities do not exist, cannot obtain an education in their own countries. This scheme is only suitable for candidates of the highest academic ability who are able to demonstrate this ability by outstanding examination results. However, financial need and social commitment are also major criteria for selection.

The scholarships are largely financed by undergraduates (jointly with colleges and the University) and cover both University and college tuition fees as well as maintenance for the Scholar (though not for any dependants). Candidates applying to read medicine will not be awarded scholarships due to the length and expense of this course.

There is considerable competition for these awards, and prospective students are asked not to apply unless they have an outstanding academic record.
    oh yea! - i remember reading bout this!- the thing is - how were u able to prove that u couldn't study in Pakistan? there are some good universities there rite?

oh yea! - i remember reading bout this!- the thing is - how were u able to prove that u couldn't study in Pakistan? there are some good universities there rite?
    i mean how were u able to prove that u couldn't get an education in your own country?

ReputationRep:
    i mean how were u able to prove that u couldn't get an education in your own country?
    They didnt ask me to prove anythign so I didnt. I think they are able to figure out such things by themselves.

If you apply for this remember that the two ten page written works are what make the difference. Try to make it like a research paper and attractive by using lots of fancy graphics etc.

(Original post by CHilL)
    They didnt ask me to prove anythign so I didnt. I think they are able to figure out such things by themselves.

If you apply for this remember that the two ten page written works are what make the difference. Try to make it like a research paper and attractive by using lots of fancy graphics etc.

ok will keep that in mind - think am gonna give it a shot - if the deadline hasn't past that is! and thanx loadz n loadz for ALLLL your help!! really do appreciate it! good luck with the rest of your course!!

ReputationRep:
    ok will keep that in mind - think am gonna give it a shot - if the deadline hasn't past that is! and thanx loadz n loadz for ALLLL your help!! really do appreciate it! good luck with the rest of your course!!
    I've just noticed that you have an offer for PPE at LMH. Congratulations!

The deadline for the scholarship was 15 days before the UCAS deadline. So I guess its a bit late now. However, you could persuade your college to nominate you for Waverly scholarships.

Which country are you from, btw?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.