Turn on thread page Beta
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Why a troll? It makes them sound big and scary.
    Why not a gnome or something less threatening?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Trolls got their names from their actions (trolling) rather than their appearence.

Personally I prefer the term emotionally stunted tit but it isn't quite so catchy

(Original post by bono)
    Why? You didn't do anything wrong as DazYa5..
    i said something to gimp and all his buddies tried to pounce on me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    :eek: How can someone else have exactly the same user name as you?
    the other person has an underscore, cate :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dazya6)
    what the **** does that have anything to do with his thread?
    DONT POST STUPID STUFF
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    i said something to gimp and all his buddies tried to pounce on me
    What did you say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    the other person has an underscore, cate :P
    Ah *feels stupid*
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bono)
    Fair enough his ID is like eric bischoffs (exact same infact) but why would that mean that there was no chance of him being bullied?

What if he was serious?
    Then he would have replied....or at least started a thread with more information than just "I'm being bullied advise me"...people with genuine problems almost always want to explain the entire back story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHANDY)
    Agreed.
    Ditto.

The person may have been serious. Whether he was or wasn't isn't the point, the point is that someone may be bullied and come on here and ask for advice, yet saying "TROLL!" is hardly going to help anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Trolls got their names from their actions (trolling) rather than their appearence.

Personally I prefer the term emotionally stunted tit but it isn't quite so catchy
    Well emotionally stunted is more accurate...

ReputationRep:
    Then he would have replied....or at least started a thread with more information than just "I'm being bullied advise me"...people with genuine problems almost always want to explain the entire back story.
    That is not the point, you made your comment straight after he made the post. You automatically presumed he wasn't being serious. With that attitude, then someone who may have seeked for help may just be ignored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Ditto.

The person may have been serious. Whether he was or wasn't isn't the point, the point is that someone may be bullied and come on here and ask for advice, yet saying "TROLL!" is hardly going to help anyone.
    Whos Ditto?

Pencil_Queen you're in a losing battle
    the guy registered in March so hes obviously been reading posts on here and is probably serious about his issues

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    That is not the point, you made your comment straight after he made the post. You automatically presumed he wasn't being serious. With that attitude, then someone who may have seeked for help may just be ignored.
    it was obvious bono - and you wanted to be a mod :rolleyes:

(Original post by SHANDY)
    Whos Ditto?
    he agrees with you basically

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    it was obvious bono - and you wanted to be a mod :rolleyes:
    Hey, he was just giving the 'troll' a chance!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bono)
    True - that's always a risk...fortunately my instincts have always proved fairly accurate so far (7 yrs of online cynicism and you would expect a few misses but I've had none) - I stand by what I said - this person was trolling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    Hey, he was just giving the 'troll' a chance!
    Oh come on now were just going around in circles.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Pencil_Queen you're in a losing battle
    the guy registered in March so hes obviously been reading posts on here and is probably serious about his issues
    It's only been March for 8 days - I'm not sure what you point is there - if set up an account now it would say March.

If he'd been lurking without posting you'd think he'd realise that his login was identical to one of the top 10 posters on the forum and would have changed it. Eric is hard to miss.

ReputationRep:
    True - that's always a risk...fortunately my instincts have always proved fairly accurate so far (7 yrs of online cynicism and you would expect a few misses but I've had none) - I stand by what I said - this person was trolling.
    Clearly you haven't grasped my point.

Whether it turned out he was trolling or not is irrelevant, my point was that if you call each person who starts such a thread "troll" then occassionally people who seek actual advice would be ignored.

ReputationRep:
    It's only been March for 8 days - I'm not sure what you point is there - if set up an account now it would say March.

If he'd been lurking without posting you'd think he'd realise that his login was identical to one of the top 10 posters on the forum and would have changed it. Eric is hard to miss.
    I'd love to know what someone could possibly get out of posting a fake bullying thread. Maybe it was just an alternative cry for attention, as he really is getting bullied.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.