The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Gimp
it was obvious bono - and you wanted to be a mod :rolleyes:

I wouldn't automatically assume that anyone who started a thread asking for advice was a troll, just because his account name was "eric_bischoff".

If that would make some1 a bad moderator, then so be it.
timeofyourlife
I'd love to know what someone could possibly get out of posting a fake bullying thread. Maybe it was just an alternative cry for attention, as he really is getting bullied.

If he really was getting bullied, then surely it is justified for him making a thread asking for advice.
bono
Clearly you haven't grasped my point.

Whether it turned out he was trolling or not is irrelevant, my point was that if you call each person who starts such a thread "troll" then occassionally people who seek actual advice would be ignored.

People genuinely seeking advice do not start threads like this - compare the first post on this thread with one of the one's Lumpy Custard started a few months back. There is no detail and they've even bothered with making it look presentable by using smilies etc - when you're upset the words spill out without structure.

Also people genuinely seeking advice on personal issues like bullying very rarely post to an unfamiliar forum (especially one like this which has apparently become even more hostile while I've been away) - they become part of the community before bareing their soul. If you are genuinely depressed and bullied you do not risk exposing yourself to more abuse.
Reply 43
bono
If he really was getting bullied, then surely it is justified for him making a thread asking for advice.

In the most vague possible description, while copying another member's name and only having joined today? I meant that maybe the deeper reasons behind people creating pointless, crying for attention threads is that they have a void somewhere else in their life and have a desire to manipulate others.
timeofyourlife
I'd love to know what someone could possibly get out of posting a fake bullying thread. Maybe it was just an alternative cry for attention, as he really is getting bullied.

It's definitely a power thing - probably because they feel very un-empowered IRL and can't find any method of coping.

Very sad really :frown:
Pencil Queen

People genuinely seeking advice do not start threads like this - compare the first post on this thread with one of the one's Lumpy Custard started a few months back. There is no detail and they've even bothered with making it look presentable by using smilies etc - when you're upset the words spill out without structure.

Also people genuinely seeking advice on personal issues like bullying very rarely post to an unfamiliar forum (especially one like this which has apparently become even more hostile while I've been away) - they become part of the community before bareing their soul. If you are genuinely depressed and bullied you do not risk exposing yourself to more abuse.

Surely they would feel more comfortable talking online rather than face to face with someone?
Reply 46
Pencil Queen

Perhaps they wanted to remain anonymous? And 'I get bullied alot but tell everyone and they still dont do anything will you give me advice please' isn't exactly 'structured' is is?
timeofyourlife
In the most vague possible description, while copying another member's name and only having joined today? I meant that maybe the deeper reasons behind people creating pointless, crying for attention threads is that they have a void somewhere else in their life and have a desire to manipulate others.

Exactly, so by giving advice on the issue one would then be indirectly helping the person who made the thread.
Reply 48
hmm fair enough if he wanted to be anonymous - but why copy an existing (prolific) poster's name. it was an unkind thing to do to eric imo.
Reply 49
Pencil Queen
Eric is hard to miss.

lol lol lol lol

if they do miss me im sure they would see bricks flying round that i have thrown
Cate
Perhaps they wanted to remain anonymous? And 'I get bullied alot but tell everyone and they still dont do anything will you give me advice please' isn't exactly 'structured' is is?

True.
Reply 51
Pencil Queen
It's definitely a power thing - probably because they feel very un-empowered IRL and can't find any method of coping.

Yes, and all too common on this forum.
bono
Surely they would feel more comfortable talking online rather than face to face with someone?

Of course they would - but just because the anonymity the internet affords makes it easier for people to share their problems doesn't mean that everyone claiming to have problems is genuine.
Reply 53
Cate

and they use my name, i think not
Pencil Queen

Exactly, so if it is so upsetting then why not help/give advice rather than tell them to fuc* off?
bono
Exactly, so by giving advice on the issue one would then be indirectly helping the person who made the thread.

feeding someone's addiction to anti-social attention seeking and trolling is not helping them
Reply 56
bono

Or give them a good laugh in reading the replies. Which doesn't exactly justify people going out of their way to think of advice. Me thinks this thread will be deleted soon.
Pencil Queen
Of course they would - but just because the anonymity the internet affords makes it easier for people to share their problems doesn't mean that everyone claiming to have problems is genuine.

Exactly, but some are.
pencil queen you make me laugh when you YOURSELF have spent 7 years of cycotism or whatever it is
GET OUT MORE
Reply 59
Pencil Queen
doesn't mean that everyone claiming to have problems is genuine.

id take that chance by giving them advice whether im wrong or right

Latest

Trending

Trending