Turn on thread page Beta

Bullying watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    Or give them a good laugh in reading the replies. Which doesn't exactly justify people going out of their way to think of advice. Me thinks this thread will be deleted soon.
    You just said that deep down, the person who makes the "attention seeking" thread probably has the problem in question.

Therefore by helping/giving advice, they may actually use it, without admitting their problems that lie behind the "attention seeking" thread.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bono)
    Exactly, but some are.
    Yes - but not this one...would you be arguing so hard if they'd used you login name?

Or maybe if someone other than me had pointed out that this wasn't a genuine cry for help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Yes - but not this one...would you be arguing so hard if they'd used you login name?

Or maybe if someone other than me had pointed out that this wasn't a genuine cry for help?
    Whether it turned out he was trolling or not has no relevance to the point I made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    You just said that deep down, the person who makes the "attention seeking" thread probably has the problem in question.

Therefore by helping/giving advice, they may actually use it, without admitting their problems that lie behind the "attention seeking" thread.
    You could say the same about all 'trolls', as their "attention seeking" could indicate a deeper psychological problem. I fail to see how giving them advice on the subject they are 'trolling' about is going to help them, and not encourage them to reply with equally daft scenarios and piss takes.

ReputationRep:
    You could say the same about all 'trolls', as their "attention seeking" could indicate a deeper psychological problem. I fail to see how giving them advice on the subject they are 'trolling' about is going to help them, and not encourage them to reply with equally daft scenarios and piss takes.
    But he wasn't spamming or being abusive or piss-taking.

ReputationRep:
    I think Bono has the more convincing argument here.

Bono wins
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bono)
    Whether it turned out he was trolling or not has no relevance to the point I made.
    Actually it does

I don't post "Troll" immediately after every request for help, in fact this is the first time (although a couple of times I've posted "Do not feed the troll" once people have started responding).

This person was trolling - I posted a warning to other forum members that this wasn't really Eric but an imposter (a warning that was sadly needed...one day these muppets will start threads and every single member of this forum will know better than to respond to them).

You seem to be implying that because I refuse to allow these sad muppets to get away with filling this forum with attention seeking trolling spam that means I'm trying to prevent people with genuine problems seeking help from getting it - and you couldn't be further from the truth.

The more people get away with crying wolf like this and abusing peoples trust the less likely people with genuine problems will get the help they need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dazya6)
    Bono wins
    *lifts the trophy*

Actually it does

I don't post "Troll" immediately after every request for help, in fact this is the first time (although a couple of times I've posted "Do not feed the troll" once people have started responding).

This person was trolling - I posted a warning to other forum members that this wasn't really Eric but an imposter (a warning that was sadly needed...one day these muppets will start threads and every single member of this forum will know better than to respond to them).

You seem to be implying that because I refuse to allow these sad muppets to get away with filling this forum with attention seeking trolling spam that means I'm trying to prevent people with genuine problems seeking help from getting it - and you couldn't be further from the truth.

The more people get away with crying wolf like this and abusing peoples trust the less likely people with genuine problems will get the help they need.
    you really don't give up do you?

ReputationRep:
    Actually it does

But he hasn't spammed, been abusive or piss-taking or anything of that sort.

He asked for advice in the thread and thats it - whether he was being serious or not, I can't guarantee, but fact still remains that he hasn't done anything to suggest that giving constructive advice would be a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    But he wasn't spamming or being abusive or piss-taking.
    And "eric_bischoff" wasn't meant as a piss-take? I just don't think the post was genuine, and not intending to start a debate about troll psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    I think Bono has the more convincing argument here.
    Cheers, although I was just making a valid point.

BTW: This guy hasn't actually spammed, mocked or been abusive actually.......

ReputationRep:
    Actually it does

I do agree with you on this one. Contrary to you slating me about my views on media studies a while ago.

ReputationRep:
    And "eric_bischoff" wasn't meant as a piss-take? I just don't think the post was genuine, and not intending to start a debate about troll psychology.
    As I said, his account name wasn't helpful, although in the grand scheme of things it was a minor factor.

He still didn't do anything bad to ensure that he was a troll, or even give strong reasons to conclude so.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bono)
    But he hasn't spammed, been abusive or piss-taking or anything of that sort.

He asked for advice in the thread and thats it - whether he was being serious or not, I can't guarantee, but fact still remains that he hasn't done anything to suggest that giving constructive advice would be a waste of time.
    Apart from impersonating one of the top ten posters in the forum.

If someone set up the login bono_ and used their first post to start a thread asking for help with their addiction to masterbation are you saying you would believe they genuinely had problems and try to help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    BTW: This guy hasn't actually spammed, mocked or been abusive actuall.......
    We know!! The only thing he has done is take eric's name. But that is hardly enough to call him a troll for.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from impersonating one of the top ten posters in the forum.

If someone set up the login bono_ and used their first post to start a thread asking for help with their addiction to masterbation are you saying you would believe they genuinely had problems and try to help?
    But addiction to masturbation isn't really a problem.

Bullying is, far more so anyway.

bono 1 pencil 0
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bono)
    But addiction to masturbation isn't really a problem.

Bullying is, far more so anyway.
    That's beside the point - if someone was impersonating you and posting "problems" would you believe they were genuine?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.