Turn on thread page Beta

The parents debate!!!!! watch

Announcements

Do you think that bands should play thier own instuments?

My mum and dad have always said that bands are superfical and untalented if they don't have any musical talent. Do you think thats true? What if they are just picked up on for their voice?

ReputationRep:
    I think that its the music that matters. Regardless of whether they play instruments or not, if the music is good, then there shouldn't be a problem with it.

(Original post by piginapoke)
    Like Frank Sinatra?

No I mean bands nowadays like ...... Girls Aloud, Blue, Blazin' Squad, Clea and all them lot.

ReputationRep:
    i really like bonjovi and stuff who have they're own band....but then westlife with a guitar would look awful...

love Katy ***

(Original post by Iluvatar)
    I think that its the music that matters. Regardless of whether they play instruments or not, if the music is good, then there shouldn't be a problem with it.
    Yer but would it make them a better band?

(Original post by ickle_katy)
    i really like bonjovi and stuff who have they're own band....but then westlife with a guitar would look awful...

love Katy ***

lol, yer I suppose some bands don't really suit it.

(Original post by piginapoke)
    Well there's a lot of them about milking the market for all its worth with arguably very little talent. I mentioned Sinatra because arguably he was just a singer, but nobody complained about his lack of talent.

Yer but he had a majorly good voice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fritz)
    Yer but would it make them a better band?
    A band should only be judged on their music. They aren't better or worse if they can or cannot play instruments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    A band should only be judged on their music. They aren't better or worse if they can or cannot play instruments.
    Apart from the forementioned girls aloud, westlife etc...

(Original post by timeofyourlife)

I agree although I like "jump in" by girls aloud and some of westlife's songs aren't that bad, no the worst neway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    Exactly.
    Those bands aren't bad because they don't play their own instruments.
    They are bad because their music sounds awful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fritz)

My mum and dad have always said that bands are superfical and untalented if they don't have any musical talent. Do you think thats true? What if they are just picked up on for their voice?

Being able to sing,is a great enough talent as it is...and is far from superficial. The other stuff, eg song writing, dancing & playing instruments are also great talents but not everyone can do them all together or even more than one. I say use what you've got!! Im sure if you made a bit of money out of it, your parents would soon shut up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fritz)
    No I mean bands nowadays like ...... Girls Aloud, Blue, Blazin' Squad, Clea and all them lot.
    Two words...commerical yuck. They're picked for their looks and they appeal to the majority of teenyboppers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    One word...commerical yuck. They're picked for their looks and they appeal to the majority of teenyboppers.
    Thats two!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fritz)

it dont matter cos tk sum1 like sugababes they sing on their own and they do well, tk busted they play their own instruments and plado well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kissit)
    Thats two!
    Lol, good point, must change it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by love_4_ducks)
    it dont matter cos tk sum1 like sugababes they sing on their own and they do well, tk busted they play their own instruments and plado well
    They don't plug them in though

ReputationRep:
    i dont care if a band cant plays its own instruments aslong as its good and doesnt just copy another band

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.