Deputy Speaker Election - Manifestos Watch

TheCrackInTime
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Here are your candidates for the Deputy Speaker election. You have 4 days to question them, before a 4 day vote in the Division Lobby.

Election timetable
9th November – The Speaker announces their need for a Deputy Speaker. They will then ask for interested people to send them a manifesto of no more than 100 words.

13th November – The Speaker will post the candidates who wish to stand as Deputy Speaker

17th November – The Speaker will open a Secret Poll (for MPs only in the Division Lobby) with the candidates names and the option for Re-Open Nominations.

21st November – Results of the Deputy Speaker election are announced.

Rakas21

Application to the position of Deputy Speaker.

Presented by the Leader Of The Opposition.

November 2012

As all sitting MP's know i am an active member of the MHOC, having served as Prime Minister you will also know that i am a hard-working, efficient administrator able to perform the duties of Deputy Speaker. I have a favorable public image avoiding controversy and thus my election would not bring the public image of the MHOC into disrepute.

*Note that i am leader of the Tories, if you do not trust my impartiality then simply do not vote for me. Non-negotiable.

toronto353
Why you should vote for me

1. Experience

I've been leader of TSR UKIP for 2 years now and have a tremendous amount of experience in the House and in dealing with various issues relating to my role.

2. Impartiality

I've shown that I can be impartial when required e.g. EU Bloc. Furthermore, posting items for discussion and creating updates for the Bloc has given me experience of a role similar to that of the Deputy Speaker.

3. Policy

I’ll work with TCIT to implement the policies that we have pledged.

Vote for experience, impartiality and policy! Vote toronto353!

Birchington

Who am I?
● An active member of this House for over 4 years, serving as MP for 5 terms with a 100% voting record.
● I have experience of both leadership and as a general member, giving me a broad outlook.
● Editor of Ad HOC – my commitment to impartiality is demonstrated by the neutral content in Ad HOC, impartiality which I will rigorously uphold if elected as Deputy Speaker
● A friendly face – I’m only a PM away if you need advice or a chat.

Just a few things I want to achieve:
● Improve the welcoming process – joining the House can be daunting, and I want to ensure we retain as many new members as possible.
● A massive update for the House’s admin – many areas are outdated, such as the wiki or Big Fat Guide.
● Promote the House to wider TSR – increased advertising, linkage with other threads etc.

Vote Birchington for Deputy Speaker!

xXedixXxxXedixXx

I've been a proud member of the MHoC for nearly two years now and have had my fair share of debate, enjoying every minute of it and have learnt a lot. Although I don't debate as much as I have been previously, I still visit the forum on a daily basis, making my opinion known on issues I have strong feelings about.

I would love the opportunity to help the MHoC, stepping in to carry out the speaker's duties when they are not available. I believe I would carry out the important role in a non-partisan and professional manner.

TopHatHello, MHoC! Here's my Deputy bid:

What I've done:

I've been in the House for a year, and Deputy Leader for 8 months, so I know how the MHoC works without being here so long I'm inflexible. I'm a 100% voting record MP with strong activity and have shown my commitment by revamping the History.

What will I do:
  • Assist the Speaker to the usual high standard.
  • Carry out my duties without bias.
  • Continue to update the Wiki.
  • Write a comprehensive “Guide to the House for Newbies”.
  • Encourage new members.
So please, vote TopHat.

Alofleicester
'Ello duckies, I'm throwing my hat into the ring for the deputy speaker position. So then, why should you vote for me?
• I'm fairly patient and (I’d like to think) approachable, and more than willing to deal with any issues that arise within the house.
• Due to my good time-management I am able to respond quickly and promptly to any problems should I be required to fill in for the speaker.
• Despite my relative lack of time in the house, I have my name to a reasonable number of bills and have a decent knowledge of the house.

davidmarsh01Hi guys, I've decided to run for Deputy Speaker!

So, why do I feel I'd be well suited for the job of Deputy Speaker? First off, I've been around the house for a while now, and I feel I know enough about it to act as a fair and impartial Speaker when called upon. I don't feel the admin work (when needed) would be much of a problem for me, as I'm on TSR for longer every day than I care to remember.

If you want an impartial and ever-present Deputy Speaker then feel free to vote for me!

David
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good luck to all running. A fair few candidates here.
Mazzini
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Firstly, good luck everyone

To all candidates: what positions do you currently hold in the MHoC and would you give these up to become Deputy Speaker?

Posted from TSR's iOS app
Morgsie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good Luck all
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mazzini)

To all candidates: what positions do you currently hold in the MHoC and would you give these up to become Deputy Speaker?
I'm currently leader of TSR UKIP and I won't be, but I have already pledged that I will leave all leadership duties to the deputy leader of TSR UKIP (Life_peer) when I'm taking on Speakership duties. Life_peer will effectively become leader when I am acting as Speaker.
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Posted from TSR's iOS app
Beyond the basic MP & Cabinet roles I don't hold any positions as such (I assume you mean leadership etc.) so I don't see there's anything to give up to become Deputy Speaker. I would however look for a proxy to take my place when I'm acting as speaker so as to avoid possibilities of slipping into impartiality.
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Morgsie)
Good Luck all
Surprised you aren't running.

Good luck to all, many very good and very capable people running.
Morgsie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
Surprised you aren't running.

Good luck to all, many very good and very capable people running.
As I have said, I have deadlines coming up
Metrobeans
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So many candidates!

At the moment, I have no idea who I'll be voting for, so the answers to questions in this thread are very likely to sway me.

The position of TCIT's ***** Deputy Speaker is very important in maintaining the well-running of this forum and ensuring continuity, however the position can also be considered principal adviser to the Speaker. If I had to make a decision or set a precedent within the House, I often knew what decision I was minded to take, but I would sometimes consult with TCIT just to check that there wasn't something that I had perhaps overlooked which could cause me to change my mind. It is for this reason, the Deputy Speaker must also have excellent judgement.

I mention this now because in your manifestos, while you all refer to your qualities regarding why you would be a good choice to fill in for the Speaker, demonstrating sound judgement and being able to give reliable advice to the Speaker is also very important.

I'll ask some questions later on, but for now I'll say good luck all!
Endless Blue
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good to see lots of candidates running.

Not sure who I will vote for but based on manifestos and general MHoC experiences I will be voting for either Birchington or TopHat. More questions to follow.

Good luck all
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Morgsie)
As I have said, I have deadlines coming up
Ah, ok. I was looking forward to questioning you if I'm honest, like last time...
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheCrackInTime)
QFA
Could you put the timetable for the election process in the OP please?
LETSJaM
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well I've decided who has my support.

<3 x
SciFiRory
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
good luck all :yy: lot's of candidates for this then!
Cheese_Monster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its great to see such a high level of activity in the house. Good luck to all, i'm torn on who to vote (as I try to do so in a non-partisan way).
DayneD89
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, this looks like it could be a tough decision. Best of luck to all, I'll try to have some questions when I'm next on a computer.
internetguru
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No idea what to ask the deputy speaker hopefuls. The role has no say in anything or anything policy related, I guess I just have to ask how many hours are you on MHoC per week?
username841677
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Deputy Labour Leader is all for me, which I suppose places me below toronto353, davidmarsh01 and Rakas21, equal with Birchington, and above Alofleicester and xXedixXx.

(Original post by internetguru)
No idea what to ask the deputy speaker hopefuls. The role has no say in anything or anything policy related, I guess I just have to ask how many hours are you on MHoC per week?
Between half an hour and an hour and a half depending on the day? I'm not sure, I've never timed it. I lurk a fair bit, it's often more interesting reading other people's arguments than starting your own.

(Original post by Metrobeans)
I mention this now because in your manifestos, while you all refer to your qualities regarding why you would be a good choice to fill in for the Speaker, demonstrating sound judgement and being able to give reliable advice to the Speaker is also very important.
I think I covered that one with my first point under "Why you should vote for me" - the level of assistance I could provide was my priority and hence top of the list.
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I dread to think, certainly I spend a great deal of my time on TSR and within that a fair while on the MHoC. If I had to put a number on it I would go for about 20-25 hours a week either in the MHoC and relevant sub-forums or working on bits for the MHoC (Writing motions/bills, researching bills etc.)
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm another who shudders to think how long I spend on here, but I would say that there's no such thing as spending too much time on here!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (108)
33.96%
No I don't (147)
46.23%
I work during the holidays (63)
19.81%

Watched Threads