How can I improve my speech about the Death Penalty? Watch

Kpop
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Murder is wrong, sinful, and awful. Since childhood we have been taught this undeniable truth. Ask yourself, then, what is the death penalty? In its simplest form, the death penalty is one person taking the life of another. Coincidentally, that is the definition of murder. We cannot teach killing is wrong by killing. To take a life when a life has been lost is revenge, not justice. Just think about it, would you take someone’s life?

Human life is valuable, precious, and priceless. I believe everyone has an absolute human right to life, even those who commit murder; I believe sentencing a person to death and executing them violates that right. The death penalty overrules our most basic human right - the right to live.

The most common argument against the death penalty is that sooner or later, many innocent people will get killed, because of mistakes in the justice system.
Many people have been wrongly accused of crimes they did not commit. Witness’s, jurors, and prosecutors make mistakes. In the year 2010, statistics show over 1000 people had been released with proof that they were wrongfully convicted. If someone is convicted and later found innocent can you can release them from prison? Yes. But can you release them from their grave? No you cannot.

No reliable study shows that the death penalty actually prevents others from committing murder. The death penalty doesn't seem to deter people from committing serious violent crimes. In fact that the death penalty leads to an increase in murder rate. In the USA, more murders take place in states where capital punishment is allowed than in those where it is not allowed.If no difference is being made, why should we even bother with this highly expensive, cruel, inhumane, and degrading punishment in our country?

In Conclusion, the Death penalty is an ineffective and a costly punishment. It would cost up to five times more than to keep someone locked up for lifetime imprisonment .There is no evidence whatsoever that proves it decreases the number of crimes. It sends a wrong message to our society that violence is the proper response to violence. A harsh and cruel penalty does not provide for a long-term solution to our problem, and an alternative should be found. A death Penalty would not benefit you or England in any way. So my answer is no, England should not have a Death penalty.
Kpop
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
pjm600
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kpop)
Murder is wrong, sinful, and awful. Since childhood we have been taught this undeniable truth. Ask yourself, then, what is the death penalty? In its simplest form, the death penalty is one person taking the life of another. Coincidentally, that is the definition of murder. We cannot teach killing is wrong by killing. To take a life when a life has been lost is revenge, not justice. Just think about it, would you take someone’s life?
This fails because the definition of murder is not one person taking the life of another. I don't think the last sentence is particularly strong.

(Original post by Kpop)
The most common argument against the death penalty is that sooner or later, many innocent people will get killed, because of mistakes in the justice system.
Many people have been wrongly accused of crimes they did not commit. Witness’s, jurors, and prosecutors make mistakes. In the year 2010, statistics show over 1000 people had been released with proof that they were wrongfully convicted. If someone is convicted and later found innocent can you can release them from prison? Yes. But can you release them from their grave? No you cannot.
This is strong but could be developed further. One person condemned to death who is later found to be innocent would be unfathomable, yet there have been numerous cases of prisoners serving max life sentences who have been found innocent and released. Find one of them and give a brief summary to humanize the argument. This will make a strong point.

Also watch the brilliant Ian Hislop

(Original post by Kpop)
No reliable study shows that the death penalty actually prevents others from committing murder. The death penalty doesn't seem to deter people from committing serious violent crimes. In fact that the death penalty leads to an increase in murder rate. In the USA, more murders take place in states where capital punishment is allowed than in those where it is not allowed.If no difference is being made, why should we even bother with this highly expensive, cruel, inhumane, and degrading punishment in our country?
Good but I don't like "why should we bother" Come across stronger, "if the death penalty does not reduce the murder rate, there is no case for it."

(Original post by Kpop)
In Conclusion, the Death penalty is an ineffective and a costly punishment. It would cost up to five times more than to keep someone locked up for lifetime imprisonment .There is no evidence whatsoever that proves it decreases the number of crimes. It sends a wrong message to our society that violence is the proper response to violence. A harsh and cruel penalty does not provide for a long-term solution to our problem, and an alternative should be found. A death Penalty would not benefit you or England in any way. So my answer is no, England should not have a Death penalty.
"The death penalty will lead to innocent people being killed by the state, and will not reduce the violent crime rate. If you think this is acceptable, I urge you to vote yes, the only alternative is to vote no"
HYasin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
great speech but try and include an anecdote
emilyblackmore15
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Try instead of making your opinion (
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

What are your favourite crisps?