Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need to hand my A-Level choices form in next week.
    I have decided to do ICT, Classics, Busines Studies but can't decide with the 4th choice.
    I want to do history but isn't history too similar to classics? Will it make a good combination? I want to do business management at uni so will it matter which A-Levels I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolguy)
    I need to hand my A-Level choices form in next week.
    I have decided to do ICT, Classics, Busines Studies but can't decide with the 4th choice.
    I want to do history but isn't history too similar to classics? Will it make a good combination? I want to do business management at uni so will it matter which A-Levels I do?
    Depending on what type of university you want to go and what you want to study do a science degree as well or swap IT with computing. ICT and Business Studies are very similar, computing is less common sense and more actual hard work.

ReputationRep:
    How is ICT and business studies similar?

ReputationRep:
    How is ICT and business studies similar?
    Do Computing instead of ICT, and Economics instead of business studies, and you will be fine then.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of ICT is just crap like the flow of data, and all stuff about documents which relates to business studies.

ICT is about implementing business systems where as computing is much more about the theory.

Business Studies isn't as micley mouse as you may think, you have to know a lot of theries in great detail to get a decent grade. I only did it because I didn't have a choice, my college was so crap. In the second year they just said you could do AS business studies if we wanted as well. I personaly would have picked geography or electronics instead.

ReputationRep:
    They don't do computing or economics at my school so I can't do them.
    I don't want to change my first 3 choices, I just want to know that are classics and history similar subjects. I don't want to do any sciency subjects

ReputationRep:
    They don't do computing or economics at my school so I can't do them.
    I don't want to change my first 3 choices, I just want to know that are classics and history similar subjects. I don't want to do any sciency subjects
    What do you want to study at university?

ReputationRep:
    Business Management or Computer Science( the one that involves software developing)

ReputationRep:
    Business Management or Computer Science( the one that involves software developing)
    If you want to do computer science at a good university then you will need a science based A level. I got an offer do a computer science at Salford but they said they only gave me the offer because my personal statement was so good.

I would have had to an A level maths standard module on the course.

If you want to do computer science at an average university then you're A levels should be fine as longs as you get in the general range of BBC.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do Computer Science at a good uni you need to have a maths a-level.

ReputationRep:
    If I want to do website designing do I need maths A-Level.
    There must be different types of computer science degrees

ReputationRep:
    If I want to do website designing do I need maths A-Level.
    There must be different types of computer science degrees
    I'm doing Multimedia and Internet Technology. There is some maths in it but it dosn't require you to have any maths. My offer was 220 points including CC, one of them must be ain a computing related subject.

My course covers all aspects of multimedia and web development, I am currently working a on a director presentation like the ones you find in musuems. It teaches you advanced photoshop skills as well as all the usualy langauges, Java, C++, PHP, ASP, VB, .NET etc. I've also done quite a lot video and sound editing which is very different from computing.

What it dosn't teach you is in depth programming but you are expecting to teach yourself a lanaguage in depth for your final year project if you want to do well.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.