Turn on thread page Beta

Yep, A levels are a lot easier than 25 years ago! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    One could simply write down all the answers, the irritating thing is how to develop 6 points over 10 pages, it becomes tedious and infuriating when you begin to repeat yourself.
    And one of the key themes of economics is no nonsense, no waffle, no ********.

ReputationRep:
    One could simply write down all the answers, the irritating thing is how to develop 6 points over 10 pages, it becomes tedious and infuriating when you begin to repeat yourself.
    10 pages? I try and cram my answers into as short and concise sentences as possible, or else I run out of time. How longs the OCR exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Oh god I've seen the lower 6th further maths class, they're um often a source of great amusement among the teachers.
    Why, oh why, am I not suprised? I seriously believe that they are going to damage the reputation of the maths department, and the head will be forced to resign, allowing all sorts of riff raff and vegabonds in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    10 pages? I try and cram my answers into as short and concise sentences as possible, or else I run out of time. How longs the OCR exam?
    1H 20M. I think.

ReputationRep:
    1H 20M. I think.
    Ah not much different from ours then. I'm about 3/4 sides max. As to fishpaste's comment about no ******** - that constitutes most of my answers so I'd be screwed if that wasn't allowed!

ReputationRep:
    Why, oh why, am I not suprised? I seriously believe that they are going to damage the reputation of the maths department, and the head will be forced to resign, allowing all sorts of riff raff and vegabonds in.
    In fairness, I'm in the U6 further maths class, and we did equally badly last year. Only one person got an A. About half got Us. And the rest got Cs. Before last year though, further maths at xaverian consisted of 2 people doing the further modules in a kind of informal arrangement, ours was the first proper class. They always got As/Bs though!

___

Yes OCR papers are 1hr 20.

ReputationRep:
    Ah not much different from ours then. I'm about 3/4 sides max. As to fishpaste's comment about no ******** - that constitutes most of my answers so I'd be screwed if that wasn't allowed!
    Speaking of which, where is Mr 'fifty year old' complaining about A-levels getting easier?

ReputationRep:
    Really? I usually end up writing 9 sides at least, I think I've been known to write like 12 sides in some of them. I don't do exceptionally well in economics or anything. I guess I just like to write alot.

ReputationRep:
    In fairness, I'm in the U6 further maths class, and we did equally badly last year. Only one person got an A. About half got Us. And the rest got Cs. Before last year though, further maths at xaverian consisted of 2 people doing the further modules in a kind of informal arrangement, ours was the first proper class. They always got As/Bs though!

___

Yes OCR papers are 1hr 20.
    lol. Where you one of them? I doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    lol. Where you one of them? I doubt it.

LOL I got the A

ReputationRep:
    Really? I usually end up writing 9 sides at least, I think I've been known to write like 12 sides in some of them. I don't do exceptionally well in economics or anything. I guess I just like to write alot.
    I did ok in economics, so I only need a low B or a C this year to get an A. which I need since I'm flunking this years syllabus quite badly...

ReputationRep:
    I did ok in economics, so I only need a low B or a C this year to get an A. which I need since I'm flunking this years syllabus quite badly...
    So what are you planning on doing at uni?

Our teacher gave us a couple of really old a-level mechanics questions. They were definitely harder, but still doable. I think they're pretty similar to the current ones, but just miss out all the steps if you know what I mean, so you have to get from the beginning to the end of the question without any guidance.

Well what can I say, without economics I'd probably be writing incoherent inconcise essays. I needed to be taught that essays need points, arguments supporting those points, evaluations of those argument, conclusions etc.

But now I'm waffling.

What do you think the alevel economics syllabus should include?
    That's what GCSE history teaches you, expecially the coursework.

ReputationRep:
    hhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Harry Potter looks ugly in the avatar

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO

(good)

(Original post by shushimeng)
    hhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Harry Potter looks ugly in the avatar

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO

(good)
    Malfoy turned him into a fish.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps A-levels have got easier in some subjects but in biology the A-level papers for pre-1994 were piss easy compared to the crap that we have to do at the moment. First of all they had those essay questions at the end of the paper and so long as you regurgitated your book you would be able to glide through the exam. I could even do some of the stuff on there which is not on our current syllabus through guess work and, lo and behold, I got the answers correct. Today's biology papers require you to think about what you have learned and apply it. So I would say that bio papers have got harder. Don't know about other subjects though. But I am certain that maths has got easier. I definitely won't dispute that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adrian)
    Perhaps A-levels have got easier in some subjects but in biology the A-level papers for pre-1994 were piss easy compared to the crap that we have to do at the moment. First of all they had those essay questions at the end of the paper and so long as you regurgitated your book you would be able to glide through the exam. I could even do some of the stuff on there which is not on our current syllabus through guess work and, lo and behold, I got the answers correct. Today's biology papers require you to think about what you have learned and apply it. So I would say that bio papers have got harder. Don't know about other subjects though. But I am certain that maths has got easier. I definitely won't dispute that.
    Not sure about pre-1994, but I took A-level biology in 1994 and again in 1995 (oops!). Moreover, I have tutored A-Level biology for several years (1998; 1999; 2000; 2001 and 2002). I have to say I firmly believe you have it a lot easier. The syllabuses have been pruned significantly, and with the modular system you can concentrate on one topic at a time. You also have the benefit of information at your finger tips via the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    Malfoy turned him into a fish.
    that looks like an ass heheehheheh :p:D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adrian)
    I disagree about biology. Previous O-level Biology papers (pre-GCSE) are of a comparable difficulty to current AS-level papers. However, whereas old syllabuses concentrated on depth of knowledge and understanding, modern ones tend to be broader and have increased focus on applications and links. This understandably, is to reflect upon recent development within the sciences. Remember that science is continually moving forward, so topics which nowadays seem easy may have been new and difficult to grasp in the olden days.

GCE Mathematics gets easier with every syllabus rehaul. Without doubt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    I disagree about biology. Previous O-level Biology papers (pre-GCSE) are of a comparable difficulty to current AS-level papers. However, whereas old syllabuses concentrated on depth of knowledge and understanding, modern ones tend to be broader and have increased focus on applications and links. This understandably, is to reflect upon recent development within the sciences. Remember that science is continually moving forward, so topics which nowadays seem easy may have been new and difficult to grasp in the olden days.

GCE Mathematics gets easier with every syllabus rehaul. Without doubt.
    Actually, GCE Mathematics was made harder into the Curriculum 2000 arrangement (the introduction of AS/A2).

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.