The Student Room Group

Are finding life hard as a textile design student/grad? Ask here for some advice

Hello there students/ recent Graduates!

I am a graduate professional designer who has a degree in Textiles who has lots of time for students :biggrin:

I am on here to talk to you/ help or advise you on things with your courses/ projects if you are feeling low/ stuck/ fed up/ or just need someone to talk too.

I've been there
, (got through it and so can you! ) But I know how hard and tough it is to be a student - especially in this economic climate. All of the work that is expected/ the money they expect us to grow on a tree...and the hours they think we can magic up out of thin air to fit in our studies, on top of having to work just to keep our heads above water.

Don't worry - it's a time of our lives we'll all go through if you become a student, but it's also very rewarding and builds our futures to higher heights.

If you want to talk to me, please feel free. I'll be here to help. :smile:

M. Glass
Reply 1
OMG!! You have no idea how happy I am to see this! :eek: :biggrin:

I'm a Textiles student in my 3rd year of uni and I feel like I'm not going to gain any career from it. :s-smilie: I love everything textiles especially print and weave, biggest wish is to become an international textiles designer but I can't even get work experience/work placement to even see what that will be like, most fashion textile jobs or experiences are just for pattern cutting pros and packing fabrics in boxes. My tutors don't even know what to do with the students and they hardly help. Loads have dropped out and I saw nearly everyone in my class have a breakdown. I got so ill due to stress and I felt like a complete failure all because I got a B or a C grade (so silly I know):rolleyes:
I was once told by one of my tutors that a textile designer isn't something where you get hired( eg. it's impossible for monsoon or dorothy perkins to hire a new textile designer and it's usually just one person they need in the entire company) and it's more of a freelance type of profession which is hard and sometimes impossible to actually make it. Is this really true? Every year I lose hope in what i'm doing:frown::frown: :frown:
Reply 2
Hey I'm currently studying a foundation diploma in art and design at first I thought I was going to apply for fashion design, however I kinda find it hard to actually think of ideas myself? I'm more of a hands on making type I was wondering would textile design be more appropriate type of course for me to apply to? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
hello,
like user436, i am also studying a foundation year and am finding trouble finding the right course to apply to, and thought you might be able to help me. I first wanted to apply to fashion design, but then thought textiles might also be an interesting course. Ive heard csm does a fashion print ba that has a bit a both but arent there any other courses i could also apply to?
Reply 4
Original post by user436
Hey I'm currently studying a foundation diploma in art and design at first I thought I was going to apply for fashion design, however I kinda find it hard to actually think of ideas myself? I'm more of a hands on making type I was wondering would textile design be more appropriate type of course for me to apply to? :smile:

I'm doing a foundation next year, what topics did u do, I was looking at fashion, textiles, illustration then either graphics or photography. Any recommendations of a topic that's interesting. Also which uni's u looking at. Been on some open days, top 2 for be ate Huddersfield- fashion design with textiles or textiles with surface patten or Leeds- textile design.

Reply 5
My subjects are fashion, graphic design and jewellery. Gonna apply for fashion as num 1 in Liverpool John moores but plan on taking the communication pathway during second year which involves computing.
Second would be the design in Liverpool hope. It allows you to work with metal computing and textiles.
My other two are for graphic design but not really what I hope to do. I'm still sorta in a mess? And I haven't sent my Ucas of yet :O
How's yours working out? Any offers or interviews yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by user436
My subjects are fashion, graphic design and jewellery. Gonna apply for fashion as num 1 in Liverpool John moores but plan on taking the communication pathway during second year which involves computing.
Second would be the design in Liverpool hope. It allows you to work with metal computing and textiles.
My other two are for graphic design but not really what I hope to do. I'm still sorta in a mess? And I haven't sent my Ucas of yet :O
How's yours working out? Any offers or interviews yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I have my interview for Hull, defo doing the foundation so abandoned UCAS. Thought about applying & then deferring but my opinions of what I want to do might change after a year. Are u from Liverpool then?

Reply 7
Original post by LauraEmilyT
Well I have my interview for Hull, defo doing the foundation so abandoned UCAS. Thought about applying & then deferring but my opinions of what I want to do might change after a year. Are u from Liverpool then?

I've yet to send my Ucas and now imstarting to freak :frown:. No I'm from Northern Ireland lol just want to go to Liverpool so bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by user436
I've yet to send my Ucas and now imstarting to freak :frown:. No I'm from Northern Ireland lol just want to go to Liverpool so bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you have til the 15th Jan or is design later? We got told ucas deadline is 15th.
Have you not had any guidance through college or?
Hope Everything goes well

Quick Reply

Latest