The Student Room Group

Will my SATS help in the UK?

Hey there! I'm Fifi. I'm American, but moved to the UK in the summer.

My school career has been a bit weird, as Ive been to 9 schools in the past 13 years. But, basically when I was in the states I was moved up a year from 8th grade to 9th (year 9 to year 10), basically I went to high school a year early. I thus took my SATs a year early as well. (I took them when I should have been in sophomore year, but was really a Junior.)

Anyways, as Ive moved to the UK and I want to complete A levels, I've decided to be moved back to my original year (lower sixth). I'm now doing AS levels in English Lang & Lit combined, Maths, Physics, History and Spanish. (I was also doing Art, but I dropped it.) I'm doing Spanish in a year, because I'm near fluent.

As I'm doing A levels as well, will my SAT scores mean anything to UK universities? I want to apply to US universities, as well.

I had very good SAT scores (actually, second best in the year.) They were as follows:

SAT: 2,190
All together:
Reading: 750
Writing: 730
Math: 700

I also took SAT subject tests. I took three in Sophomore year and three in Junior year. Here were my scores:

Sophomore Year:
Spanish with Listening: 800 (:biggrin:)
Mathematics level 1: 700
Literature: 730

Junior Year:
Physics: 710
Mathematics level 2: 720
United States History: 700
Reply 1
Hey :smile: what are SAT tests out of in total? I don't think that UK universities will necessarily understand how good a student you are if you just give them your SAT scores as we obviously don't do sats in this country - however a good place to flag them up would be in your personal statement (which you'll write when you apply through ucas to uk unis), and if you also let them know about moving from america etc as well that will make you stand out and look awesome. Also you are obviously pretty amazing if you are doing 5/6 A levels, especially combining so many different disciplines, most people only do 3/4 or if they do more, generally tend to be all sciences or arts! Good luck with studying in the uk :smile:
alsoooo, random and off topic, but are american schools really like they appear in the movies?! with all the cliques and cheerleading etc? like in mean girls haha :tongue:
Reply 2
Anyone?

Universities I really wanna apply for are:

Cambridge (HSPS - Politics and International Relations)
London School of Economics (International Relations)
Bath (Politics with International Relations)
King's College London (International Politics)
Durham (International Relations)

And in the US:
Harvard
Princeton
Columbia
Berkeley
Georgetown

And in Canada:
Toronto
Reply 3
Well. I know nothing about American universities but I assume they would help there? I think here I heard something about Oxbridge thinking the SATs were too easy but you're doing A levels so that is fine. You put all your qualifications on your UCAS form anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by icyfreya
Hey :smile: what are SAT tests out of in total? I don't think that UK universities will necessarily understand how good a student you are if you just give them your SAT scores as we obviously don't do sats in this country - however a good place to flag them up would be in your personal statement (which you'll write when you apply through ucas to uk unis), and if you also let them know about moving from america etc as well that will make you stand out and look awesome. Also you are obviously pretty amazing if you are doing 5/6 A levels, especially combining so many different disciplines, most people only do 3/4 or if they do more, generally tend to be all sciences or arts! Good luck with studying in the uk :smile:
alsoooo, random and off topic, but are american schools really like they appear in the movies?! with all the cliques and cheerleading etc? like in mean girls haha :tongue:

They're out of 800.

I've been to so many schools and they're all so different. One thing I will say, the kids in the states are WAY dumber than the kids in the UK. Even the kids who don't seem to do so well here, seem pretty intelligent. And, everyone always goes on about there being a massive social divide in the UK, but I can assure you its way worse in the US and people have no class about it. All the rich kids in my previous schools were so horrible to the poorer kids. It was awful. Like I said it depends on school. In my school in Texas, all the Texas natives were friends, and then you had people from other places like me who they hated and we had to be friends with each other. When I lived in California, there were some total barbies and it was really cliquey and I know some girls who had plastic surgery. Ohio was the best school I went to, as everyone was pretty normal there, but then there was still some horrible people and it had a really bad reputation for academics. I much prefer the UK. You guys are so friendly. On here, everyone is moaning about being from UK but I love it. Its so beautiful and the people and education system are ten times better. I lived in Spain for a while as well, and that was nowhere near as good.
Reply 5
Original post by eelnais
Well. I know nothing about American universities but I assume they would help there? I think here I heard something about Oxbridge thinking the SATs were too easy but you're doing A levels so that is fine. You put all your qualifications on your UCAS form anyway.

Yeah. They were easy. I mean, I didn't even revise and got good scores. A levels are far more intellectually stimulating. I'm so lucky to be able to do them! I started AP classes in the US too, and they're supposed to be just as hard as college (university) but A levels are WAY harder. The US education just sucks!
Reply 6
Original post by FifiKhan
Yeah. They were easy. I mean, I didn't even revise and got good scores. A levels are far more intellectually stimulating. I'm so lucky to be able to do them! I started AP classes in the US too, and they're supposed to be just as hard as college (university) but A levels are WAY harder. The US education just sucks!

Yeah, so it is good you are doing A Levels cause Cambridge will value them a lot more! :P best of luck to you, sorry I couldn't be much more help.
Reply 7
Original post by eelnais
Yeah, so it is good you are doing A Levels cause Cambridge will value them a lot more! :P best of luck to you, sorry I couldn't be much more help.

Oh thats good! Thanks a lot. I love doing A levels. They're so interesting!
Reply 8
Anymore???
I think only the Advanced Placement programme counts toward Tariff points, but, of course, like universities consider GCSEs, they'll consider your SATs.

Quick Reply

Latest