Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

What college best matches these criteria:

* Fairly central and large (ie you can meet lots of different types of people)

* Nice architecture (gothic Oxford style - so what, im shallow like that)

* Quite left wing, or at least open to people like that, by Oxford standards

* Not bad apps : places for history especially

* Not incredibly uber-academic all-nighters-in-the-library style

So far im thinking about Exeter, Christ Church, Magdalen, Brasenose - do these fit the description above, or do any others do it better?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AboveMyChamberD)
    Hey

So far im thinking about Exeter, Christ Church, Magdalen, Brasenose - do these fit the description above, or do any others do it better?

Cheers
    I'd say Balliol meets your criteria
    (I don't think it's architecture is gothic, but its nice nonetheless)

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Cheers
    Go for Christ Church -it meets all your criteria but it does have a reputation for arrogance. However, the buildings are amazing + it has the biggest quad!

ReputationRep:
    Brasenose is quite right wing I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Brasenose is quite right wing I believe.
    I think it's supposed to be quite left-wing, but might be wrong. It's definitely supposed to be one of the most politically active, along with Wadham.

ReputationRep:
    Magdalen

But bear in mind all the colleges you've mentioned are cut throat! Might be worth considering some of those without the public schoolboy rep such as St Hughs, St Catz, St Peters if you really want to be an OxBod.

fx

ReputationRep:
    Balliol meets all of your criteria except for the academic part. One of its main attributes is being academic, so that's on emismatch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Magdalen

But bear in mind all the colleges you've mentioned are cut throat! Might be worth considering some of those without the public schoolboy rep such as St Hughs, St Catz, St Peters if you really want to be an OxBod.

fx
    cut throat?!? how do you mean?

and what the hell is an OxBod?!?

Im from a really crappy scottish state school - do you think i;m more likely to get into one of the big public-school colleges coz they need higher state school numbers, or will they just turn away riff-raff like me (*******s!)

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Cheers
    KEBLE!!! argh! (cough)

ReputationRep:
    OK. Brasenose does not have a reputation for being a leftie college. In fact it's quite apathetic, I'd say. The most traditionally left wing college is Balliol, but this has been less true in recent years. I'd say the most left wing college now is probably Hilda's, just because our JCR committee tends to be quite militant, and we have the highest turnout in elections. Wadham is known for being liberal rather than left wing specifically.
    I'd say the college which most accurately fits your description is Keble. It's the only one with Gothic architecture for a start (if we're referring specifically to the gothic style of the mid/late 19th century, although some of our buildings have gothic wings). It is fairly big, not too far out, and not overly academic. Avoid Exeter (tiny) and Christ Church (definitely NOT left wing and fairly academic). Brasenose is just about as central as you can possibly get but not really left wing, and Magdalen is a bit further out but is very academic, although Grey Faerie goes there so you should probably ask her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    I'd say the most left wing college now is probably Hilda's, just because our JCR committee tends to be quite militant, and we have the highest turnout in elections.
    Lol! OK if our enquirer is a chick!

ReputationRep:
    cut throat?!? how do you mean?
    Some colleges get more applications than others, making them more difficult to get into

and what the hell is an OxBod?!?
    Someone studying at Oxford - a play on the word Oxford and Bodelian (our library)

Im from a really crappy scottish state school - do you think i;m more likely to get into one of the big public-school colleges coz they need higher state school numbers, or will they just turn away riff-raff like me (*******s!)
    I'm from a totally failed school.... If you're worried about background (which you really shouldn't be, Oxford has come on in leaps and bounds in terms of turning it's back on the 'Old Boy Network') look at colleges such as St Catz, which was set up specifically for people from less privledged backgrounds...

http://www.stcatz.ox.ac.uk/

http://www.ox.ac.uk/colleges/

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.