The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
serendipity
Mods please don't shove this thread in the graveyard that is "Debate and Discussion"!

What do you think about the proposed bill to abolish the House of Lords and the position of Lord Chancellor, creating a US-style supreme court? This is supposedly to separate politics from the law, but surely this would leave the judicial system vulnerable to court-packing by Labour, similar to Roosevelt's attempts?

Everything is going US huh?
Reply 2
serendipity
Mods please don't shove this thread in the graveyard that is "Debate and Discussion"!

What do you think about the proposed bill to abolish the House of Lords and the position of Lord Chancellor, creating a US-style supreme court? This is supposedly to separate politics from the law, but surely this would leave the judicial system vulnerable to court-packing by Labour, similar to Roosevelt's attempts?

Forgive me if i sound stupid....but with my limited knowledge of the legislative system...would this bill not have to be passed through the House of Lords before it come become a proper law?? Surely they wouldn't allow it?

G
Reply 3
serendipity

I take it that this is in a similar fashion to the motion that removed the Secretary of State from deciding release for lifers, due to political interference? As noble as it sounds, the government always can exert influence in every respect.
Reply 4
serendipity

It is very unlikely that the second chamber will be abolished, i believe it forms (atm) the best scrunity on the government.

On the issue fo the Lord Chancellor, it is a constitutional (in theory) requirement of the UK to have a separation of powers (Legislature, Executive and Judiary) - In reality this does not exist and the Lord Chancellor (did) exist in ALL three parts so removing him is a first step toward a separation of powers.

Obviously the problem with the Supreme Court is how do you make the body indepedendant that picks the judges truely indepedant. This is difficult and occurs in many situtations however I think that it won't lead to many problems as judges have to look at things from an objective standpoint anyway.
Reply 5
gzftan
Forgive me if i sound stupid....but with my limited knowledge of the legislative system...would this bill not have to be passed through the House of Lords before it come become a proper law?? Surely they wouldn't allow it?

G

They could veto it for one year (provided it wasn't part of a manifesto as they then become tied to the Sailsbury convention) but not after that.
Reply 6
corey
They could veto it for one year (provided it wasn't part of a manifesto as they then become tied to the Sailsbury convention) but not after that.

Does the same apply with Top-up fees then...the house of Lords can delay it for a year but no longer?

G
Reply 7
gzftan
Does the same apply with Top-up fees then...the house of Lords can delay it for a year but no longer?

G

Well the legislation will go through the lords after the next election (as far as I know) and it will obviously be part of Labours maniefesto so they cannot block it as it would go agains democracy (provided Labour are elected!).

But, otherwise 1 year is the maximum -> They are unelected so their veto could never be permenant as it is not legitimat
Reply 8
serendipity

The removal of the Lord Chancellor's office I find understandable. One of the main principles behind democratic government is the separation of powers between the three branches of government. That an unelected Lord Chancellor can have such influence and power that spans all three branches is abhorrent.

But, as far as the Lords is concerned, surely this is just an upper house. It's abolition would surely mean that legislation would need only pass through the commons before becoming law and the traditional sobering check and balance effect of an upper house would be lost. Not healthy for democracy as far as I'm concerned. I cannot think of a functioning uni-camera system of democratic government.

There are much better ways to nurture healthy democracy. What in God's name I might ask is the cabinets (PM et al) business sitting in the commons? Forming as they do the administrative branch of the day, they have no place sitting in the legislature.

The President of the US spends his time in the Whitehouse and not in congress.
Reply 9
gzftan

G

The commons can force any legislation they want through the Lords by way of the 1926 Parliament Act.
Reply 10
Blair, once again, is on a power trip.. Lord Woolfe's speech was brilliant <applaudes> I'm glad someone in the judiciary is able to defend the system as well as he does.
Reply 11
Elle
Blair, once again, is on a power trip.. Lord Woolfe's speech was brilliant <applaudes> I'm glad someone in the judiciary is able to defend the system as well as he does.

Justify your opinion please, before making rash comments.
Reply 12
corey
Justify your opinion please, before making rash comments.

I agree with pretty much everything Woolf said. The asylum bill is a disgusting piece of legislation.. Blunkett's introduction of it is worrying in itself, but to think that a politician like himself will have a say in judicial appointments is even worse! In theory a seperation of powers is desirable, but what Blair is suggesting means that Parliament will have more power of the judiciary.. and this is what they call democracy? Furthermore, the UK will not be respected internationally and its pioneering stance with regards to Law will be lost if these changes do go ahead.
Reply 13
Elle
I agree with pretty much everything Woolf said. The asylum bill is a disgusting piece of legislation.. Blunkett's introduction of it is worrying in itself, but to think that a politician like himself will have a say in judicial appointments is even worse! In theory a seperation of powers is desirable, but what Blair is suggesting means that Parliament will have more power of the judiciary.. and this is what they call democracy? Furthermore, the UK will not be respected internationally and its pioneering stance with regards to Law will be lost if these changes do go ahead.

This is a muddle! A separation of powers doesn't mean equality of powers between government branches. You seem to have a problem with parliament having more power than the judicary. If one body makes law, and the other merely applies it, what would you expect?
Reply 14
gzftan

G

The Parliament Act means that the government can (eventaully) shove it through.
Reply 15
Just to clarify: they're not planning at all to abolish the House of Lords, only move the Law Lords to a new Supreme Court.
Reply 16
Lord Huntroyde
Just to clarify: they're not planning at all to abolish the House of Lords, only move the Law Lords to a new Supreme Court.

What exactly is so American about new Supreme Court being proposed? Whilst it obviously shares the name with it's American would-be counterpart, as far as I know it certainly won't be the superior of the three arms of government - able to disregard the legislature in some cases - but instead would be rather the opposite.
Reply 17
Amazing
What exactly is so American about new Supreme Court being proposed? Whilst it obviously shares the name with it's American would-be counterpart, as far as I know it certainly won't be the superior of the three arms of government - able to disregard the legislature in some cases - but instead would be rather the opposite.

Well, you just answered your own question. The US Supreme Court is a constitutional court (obviously the highest in the land) and decides constitutional matters. It's jurisdiction extends to finding law (in whatever form) unconstitutional and striking down accordingly. That is the whole function of the US Supreme court and presumably would be the function of a UK Supreme court.

However, I'm bound to ask this. Without a written constitution of entrenched rights on what basis can something be considered unconstitutional?
Reply 18
Howard
Well, you just answered your own question. The US Supreme Court is a constitutional court (obviously the highest in the land) and decides constitutional matters. It's jurisdiction extends to finding law (in whatever form) unconstitutional and striking down accordingly. That is the whole function of the US Supreme court and presumably would be the function of a UK Supreme court.

However, I'm bound to ask this. Without a written constitution of entrenched rights on what basis can something be considered unconstitutional?

But as I say, doesn't the existing House of Lords do that anyway - it does after all only hear cases deemed to be of extreme national importance, and effectively have the power to strike down any existing common law - except it's powers of judicial review don't extend to statutes coming directly from Parliament; I am quite sure that the proposed new Supreme Court wouldn't have that power - hence Lord Woolf's forboding omen of a "second class supreme court" being created.

Unconstitutional tends to be defined as breaking with very old parliamentary traditions (eg. the Lords rejecting the budget of 1909 which led to the first Parliament Act) and practically anything that seems vaguely undemocratic, or going against the general principle separation of powers. That last point is certainly open to debate though - one wonders how much respect we have for the separation of powers when our entire executive seems to reside exclusively within the legislative. This of course is the reason currently given for the proposed reform (or rather the destruction) of the Lords in their judicial capacity - the 10 Law Lords, who are part of the Lords in their legislative capacity also, technically have the right to vote. However, they never really do and indeed only seem to speak in the Lords when the functions of the courts is being discussed. Of course, seen as the Law Lords will probably break with tradition and vote against the Bill (presumably they want to continue to sit in the Upper House!) the Government's argument will probably be strengthened.

I oppose it all.
Reply 19
Amazing
But as I say, doesn't the existing House of Lords do that anyway - it does after all only hear cases deemed to be of extreme national importance, and effectively have the power to strike down any existing common law - except it's powers of judicial review don't extend to statutes coming directly from Parliament; I am quite sure that the proposed new Supreme Court wouldn't have that power - hence Lord Woolf's forboding omen of a "second class supreme court" being created.

Unconstitutional tends to be defined as breaking with very old parliamentary traditions (eg. the Lords rejecting the budget of 1909 which led to the first Parliament Act) and practically anything that seems vaguely undemocratic, or going against the general principle separation of powers. That last point is certainly open to debate though - one wonders how much respect we have for the separation of powers when our entire executive seems to reside exclusively within the legislative. This of course is the reason currently given for the proposed reform (or rather the destruction) of the Lords in their judicial capacity - the 10 Law Lords, who are part of the Lords in their legislative capacity also, technically have the right to vote. However, they never really do and indeed only seem to speak in the Lords when the functions of the courts is being discussed. Of course, seen as the Law Lords will probably break with tradition and vote against the Bill (presumably they want to continue to sit in the Upper House!) the Government's argument will probably be strengthened.

I oppose it all.

Excellent post!!

I don't know whether I'd agree that the House of Lords only hears cases of extreme national importance (there seems to be a fair amount of tripe that has come before it!) but I would agree that for all intents the Lords does function in "correcting" the decisions of the lower courts where common law is concerned. I suppose the idea of the Supreme Court would be to extend that principle to Statute. So why not simply increase the jurisdiction of the Lords?

And "bang on" about the administative branch breaching the legislature too. I made that point yesterday as a matter of fact. I think we could get a much healthier democracy if the administration kept the hell out of parliament than we ever could by tinkering with the Lords and spending oodles of money creating a new court with vague jurisdiction and purpose.

Latest

Trending

Trending