Roughly how many students took part in the maths challenge?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Kelman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I done the senior maths challenge on Tuesday 7th and got my results back recently. I got a bronze so I'm sure that will get me an invitation to the follow on rounds but I just want to know how much people actually took part so I know around how many people I beat.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Rough Silk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A bronze wouldn't get you into the following rounds...
BawanHama
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Congrats on the brone, when did you get your result back? I still havent got mine... think I did allright, last year I didnt get any award but I reckon this year went better.
Alexandra's Box
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I couldn't do it this year but it's fun, I got a Silver in Y11 last year.
Kelman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rough Silk)
A bronze wouldn't get you into the following rounds...
Really? It said on the website the top 1000 scorers get invited back, I assumed that a bronze would be enough.

Kelman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kelman)
Really? It said on the website the top 1000 scorers get invited back, I assumed that a bronze would be enough, Unless there was around 2000 people who took part.

Palindromic
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Really? It said on the website the top 1000 scorers get invited back, I assumed that a bronze would be enough.

i got a gold twice and wasnt through to the next rounds...
Ldbright
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The top 60% of people who take the exam get a certificate bronze, silver, or gold. Then the top of the gold holders are invited back to the Olympiad or kangaroo. From my knowledge most schools are part of the maths challenge, and I would expect a lot of people to enter!
Luminescent
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I got my result back today. Gone from a bronze last year to a gold this year. Didn't qualify for the BMO unfortunately, I was 1 question off
Ldbright
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Luminescent)
I got my result back today. Gone from a bronze last year to a gold this year. Didn't qualify for the BMO unfortunately, I was 1 question off
Do you happen to know what the BMO boundary was? I got 88 and got into the kangaroo, apparently that boundary was 83 so wondering how off from BMO I was?

Even if you didn't get BMO going from a bronze to a gold in one year is really good! And Gold is the top 10%! Well done
Kelman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ldbright)
The top 60% of people who take the exam get a certificate bronze, silver, or gold. Then the top of the gold holders are invited back to the Olympiad or kangaroo. From my knowledge most schools are part of the maths challenge, and I would expect a lot of people to enter!
Wow, I feel really dumb now. So is the maths challenge a good indication on your level of aptitude for maths and what careers you'd be capable of getting into?

Ldbright
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wow, I feel really dumb now. So is the maths challenge a good indication on your level of aptitude for maths and what careers you'd be capable of getting into?

Not really that big of an indication. It is a very particular kind of math, and most of my friends who are going for maths at university only achieved bronze or silver last year. Don't let it get you down at all! Your results in your A Level/IB exams are a lot more of an indication
affinity89
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My answer is not much use to the OP lol, as I did it years ago [in years 9 and 10 I think - or 8 and 9]. I got a bronze the first time and a silver the second time. All the "top" sets for Maths were put in for it at my school, but I don't know anyone who did it more than twice/two years.
Luminescent
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ldbright)
Do you happen to know what the BMO boundary was? I got 88 and got into the kangaroo, apparently that boundary was 83 so wondering how off from BMO I was?

Even if you didn't get BMO going from a bronze to a gold in one year is really good! And Gold is the top 10%! Well done
I think I got 86. Cut-off was about 92 I think - my friend got in by about 1 mark!

Thank you, you've done very well too
Bruce Chan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got 102 and invited to BO1 last year, but I have to tell u those questions are disasters! If u could not get over 110, I am sure u have little choice to next round!
jonathanyyt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think you needed 100 to get to BM01, I answered 20 and got all of them right so I think I got 105 (base score was 25).

But yeah the BM01 questions are incredibly hard, I think I only got about 20 marks there...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.21%
I don't have everything I need (140)
41.79%

Watched Threads