Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey not sure if this is in the right place but today i have got a letter asking for my options choices at 6ixth form i am slightly dissapointed that some subjects i want to do cannot be done togther due to clashes. (My school uses the column format for choosing subjects) However after a bit of thinking i have decided on these;

History
    Biology
    Sociology
    Philosophy and Ethics

However i am tempted by Physics instead of Sociologu due to physics being probably more regarded due to it being more traditional. What do you think about my options and how hard is physics and what does it involve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stu_uk_aussie)
    Hey not sure if this is in the right place but today i have got a letter asking for my options choices at 6ixth form i am slightly dissapointed that some subjects i want to do cannot be done togther due to clashes. (My school uses the column format for choosing subjects) However after a bit of thinking i have decided on these;

History
    Biology
    Sociology
    Philosophy and Ethics

However i am tempted by Physics instead of Sociologu due to physics being probably more regarded due to it being more traditional. What do you think about my options and how hard is physics and what does it involve
    I'd do physics due to the reason u say!

History
    Biology
    Sociology
    Philosophy and Ethics

Much depends on what you want to do at uni and later in life. If you are intending to apply to top 15 uni's then it may be a good idea to have physics in there (particularly if your applying for a science) because it is very well regarded by universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Much depends on what you want to do at uni and later in life. If you are intending to apply to top 15 uni's then it may be a good idea to have physics in there (particularly if your applying for a science) because it is very well regarded by universities.
    Sociology is good to accompany "more traditional" subjects. Its interesting, moreso that psychology and quite easy to get good grade. = not much work, which is good if you have other intense subjects

(Original post by Ladyluck)
    = not much work,
    This is the bit that I think that uni's would not be so keen on. Its probably nice to have a less hardcore subject along with the others (I wouldnt really know personally) but I think that admissions people are generally suspicious of people with "less traditional subjects". I know one person studying History, Maths, Physics and Psycology and when she asked why she had been rejected from one of her uni's, they claimed that her programme wasn't "taxing" enough. She was applying for Law so this could be a differentiating factor between herself and other candidates but the point is the same.

ReputationRep:
    sociology really is an easy option, i did it for AS and dropped it after getting an A. it isn't challenging, and while the course might be interesting in places it contains a lot less complex sociological theorising than i thought it would.physics would definately be better if you're choosing your a levels on academic prestige.

having said that, choose the one you like best. you'll be doing the subject for two years so make sure you know what you're letting yourself into! no point doing physics if you hate it!

ReputationRep:

History
    Biology
    Sociology
    Philosophy and Ethics

I'm doing AS biology and sociology at the moment, and getting my first module results for these on thursday, which i'm dreading. Anyway, at the moment i am finding biology so hard and boring too; when i get asked questions in class i just say "don't know" which is true. It's getting me down a bit too. But overall it's alright, but only if you have an EXCELLENT MEMORY!

Sociology is alright, it's actually not as easy as everyone says, but it's not like really hard either. I like it because it complements my other subjects geography (the human side) and English language e.g. we are doing language and gender.

Choose whatever you feel you can commit to most. If you want essays and writing choose sociology, if you want mathsy stuff and hard exams, loads of facts to learn etc, choose physics.

ReputationRep:
    Thanx guys for your help ive got a week or 2 before i make my preliminry choices so i think i better get thinking.

ReputationRep:
    wat do people think of these A-levels:

Maths
    History
    French
    German
    Government & Politics
    Chemistry

now....i need to drop one of those...i intend to study law at cambridge, so which is my best option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)

Maths
    History
    French
    German
    Government & Politics
    Chemistry

now....i need to drop one of those...i intend to study law at cambridge, so which is my best option?
    They're all good strong subjects except G&P which i'm not too sure about (although it is probably very good for law) so I say just drop the one you're worst at/dislike the most. Maybe either french or german. I think one language would be enough. Def keep history, a science and a language

Maths - The best all around qualification to have
    History - Widely respected and teches transferable skills
    French & German - Respected and always useful (wish I'd actually bothered to do them at GCSE and A-Level).
    Government & Politics - Not great on its own but alongside history it shows your interest in social science
    Chemistry - Can't knock a science

I'd be tempted to drop either German or G&P due to the fact that all of your other subjects are mega respected and will stand you in good stead at Cam!!!

ReputationRep:
    i will drop G&P as a school subject but do a little reading outside school for it because it is something that genuinely interests me

i will drop G&P as a school subject but do a little reading outside school for it bacause it is something that genuinely interests me
    And there is a small portion of your personal statement already written!!!

ReputationRep:

Maths
    History
    French
    German
    Government & Politics
    Chemistry

I thought you were going to do History?

And why am I not in your nice people list?

ReputationRep:
    " Maths
    History
    French
    German
    Government & Politics
    Chemistry

now....i need to drop one of those...i intend to study law at cambridge, so which is my best option. " You must a genious . If I were you , I would have taken A level Law first . Probably Cambridge favours students who get straight A's for 5/6 subjects in their A levels , what do you think about my view ?

I am doing Business studies AS , Economics AS and A2 , English Language AS and Accounting AS and A2 ...stressting me a lot .

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.