Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey I have chosen to study the following subjects for A-Level:

- ICT
    - Computing (both different)
    - Maths
    - Psychology

But i'm not sure if I want to take media, law, buisness or philosphy if there are any clashes which there probably will be.

Do you think they are good choices to go into computing and what is your view about the other subjects i listed, which do you think is more appropriate to go into computing.

#Thanks#

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siliviax)

- ICT
    - Maths
    - Psychology

But i'm not sure if I want to take media, law, buisness or philosphy if there are any clashes which there probably will be.

Do you think they are good choices to go into computing and what is your view about the other subjects i listed, which do you think is more appropriate to go into computing.

#Thanks#
    maths will be useful because of the programming involved(try and do pure maths and decision maths-edexcel)

ReputationRep:
    i'd be weary of doing ITC and computing, many uni's don't accept both of them as they regard them as too similar. i'd also advise against taking media studies as its almost universally regarded as a soft option along with sociology. philosophy is a really interesting subject to study and highly regarded by universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    i'd be weary of doing ITC and computing, many uni's don't accept both of them as they regard them as too similar. i'd also advise against taking media studies as its almost universally regarded as a soft option along with sociology. philosophy is a really interesting subject to study and highly regarded by universities.
    I couldn't agree more!

ReputationRep:
    They are good choices, as you got math there.

ReputationRep:

- ICT
    - Maths
    - Psychology

#Thanks#
    Aren't ICT and computing a bit similar? I would advise only doing one of those. Maths is well respected but apparently hard.Psychology is ok i guess, some finding it boring, some like it. I don't have any experience of it though.

Don't listen to what people say about subjects like media, sociology, business. Choose what you like. I've read in a lot of uni prospecti "we regard all subjects as having the same academic merit" or something.

ReputationRep:
    It's kind of not similar in a way. Computing is more like theorectical stuff like programming, databases, networks, information systems, etc... ICT is like hands on stuff such as spreadsheets, ways of presenting information, and so on...

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to what people say about subjects like media, sociology, business. Choose what you like. I've read in a lot of uni prospecti "we regard all subjects as having the same academic merit" or something.[/QUOTE]

I've got one word for that *******S!

- ICT
    - Maths
    - Psychology

#Thanks#
    Assuming you want to so a Comp Sci degree then there are only 3 rules to follow when picking your subjects....

1) DO MATHS!!!!!!!!!

2) It is VERY useful to have a laboratory based science under your belt (physics or electronics are the ideal ones but any will do really).

3) Don't think that ICT will impress anyone at all. Computing is generally acceptable but even that isn't essential.

So if you are serious about doing a computing degree at a "top uni" then your application would look much better if you were to trade in ICT for a science...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.