The Student Room Group

Do you believe young relationships can last forever?

Young love is so beautiful at the time that you feel nothing will ever break you apart, but the statistics show otherwise.

I'm 19 years old and my boyfriend is 20. Neither of us are naive, we've both had previous relationships, and we've had to face a LOT of crap together. Our paths do not look easy, I have to leave my family to be be with him, yet neither of us has any doubt in our minds that we can do it. I love him with all my soul and I'd give up my own life for his in a heartbeat.

So my question is, do you think young love can ever last?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can? yes. Likely? No.

The younger you are the more you both will change thus you'd have to change in sync with each other and it's just unlikely. It's not a bad thing just how it tends to happen.
Some do, but they are a very small minority. I am in a very similar situation to you. I'm 19 years old and my girlfriend is 20. We have been in a relationship for nearly 2 and a half years, one and a half of those have been long distance, during that time I've seen her once in the Summer for a couple of months. We have only run into our first major difficulties in the last couple of months. Though I really want a future with her and I love her with all my heart, to be brutally honest it could go either way at the moment.
Reply 3
No. You die eventually.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Young love is so beautiful at the time that you feel nothing will ever break you apart, but the statistics show otherwise.

I'm 19 years old and my boyfriend is 20. Neither of us are naive, we've both had previous relationships, and we've had to face a LOT of crap together. Our paths do not look easy, I have to leave my family to be be with him, yet neither of us has any doubt in our minds that we can do it. I love him with all my soul and I'd give up my own life for his in a heartbeat.

So my question is, do you think young love can ever last?

This really is a matter of opinion. I am 17 and been with my boyfriend (19) nearly 4 years. I can really see the differences growing between us as we get older and we have different ideas for life. At the moment things are okay, but I'm not wholly confident for the future. I'd like us to always remain friends though, he's been a big part of my life.

I know many couples blissfully happy together since they were 13 (now in their mid 40s!) and others who are not, or are going through divorce proceedings.

I think it depends on each relationship individually. I don't think you can categorize the whole thing. But I do know it will be hard, because there are big life decisions you will have to make. Leaving your family (in the long run) may turn into resent towards him. Or it could be the best decision you ever made.
You really cannot predict these things well. Just use your head, think what advice you would give to a friend in this situation. I know it can be hard, but try to think past the love you have for him and think practically. The young love fades eventually (in my situation anyway! Theres still love, just not the fairytale love where everything is perfect).

Most of all, good luck and I wish you all the happiness in the world. I hope everything works out as you want it to.
Reply 5
The form-destroyer unravels everything in the end.
Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try and stop that from occuring. Just don't expect to win - but then, who doesn't like a lost cause?
I think it can last.

I recently split from my GF of three years though which sucked :emo:

Just relax and see where it goes. It is rare for it to last but it can do :smile:
Reply 7
I guess it might last,although it might not.My cousin met her husband at secondary school years and years ago.They were married ,kids, mortgage, everything.They split up a few years ago having been together for 25yrs +.

Relationships take work,age isnt always a factor in whether or not they'll last.
:yes: A friend's parents started dating when they were 14 (f) and 16 (m). They are now still happily together at 52 and 54 :smile:
i met my partner at 19 and were still together and have a wonderful son, yes we have problems and we have argued and even broke up but it never last longer than a fortnight and the only reason we fight is because were best friends as well as being in a relationship (and anyone with a best friend know what its like to fight lol)

i know a girl who met her boyfriend at 13, had there first child at 16 (i know most would look down on that) but they have been together 15 year and are married with 3 children and as strong as ever... i know there probably the minority of people but sometime things can last and 19 is not exactly young in the relationship stakes
Reply 10
Most of the couples in my extended family met when they were young and have been married for decades. So yes.
i know quite a few success stories with young love.

for example a woman at work got engaged when she was my age (17 and a half), married at 18 and is still happily married 39 years later.

however my boyfriends parents got together very young and aren't together anymore, so i guess it all depends.

it depends how much you want the other person and how good circumstances are to you. i try not to look to the future to much because right now things are great and i feel its better to take things as they come than worry about what may or may not happen later :smile:
Reply 12
Yes it can but no it won't.
Reply 13
I wouldn't put money on any relationship in the world lasting, they are very delicate and things can change in next to no time. It's not always about putting the effort in to make it work, a lot of the time it is just doomed to failure.
Reply 14
Original post by Kaylax3
This really is a matter of opinion. I am 17 and been with my boyfriend (19) nearly 4 years. I can really see the differences growing between us as we get older and we have different ideas for life. At the moment things are okay, but I'm not wholly confident for the future. I'd like us to always remain friends though, he's been a big part of my life.

I know many couples blissfully happy together since they were 13 (now in their mid 40s!) and others who are not, or are going through divorce proceedings.

I think it depends on each relationship individually. I don't think you can categorize the whole thing. But I do know it will be hard, because there are big life decisions you will have to make. Leaving your family (in the long run) may turn into resent towards him. Or it could be the best decision you ever made.
You really cannot predict these things well. Just use your head, think what advice you would give to a friend in this situation. I know it can be hard, but try to think past the love you have for him and think practically. The young love fades eventually (in my situation anyway! Theres still love, just not the fairytale love where everything is perfect).

Most of all, good luck and I wish you all the happiness in the world. I hope everything works out as you want it to.

Can I just ask if he's aware of these feelings you're having, and if he knows, by the sounds of it, that you're not really in love with him anymore.
Personally I'm a bit of a hopeless romatic and will say that yes they can last! I met my boyfriend when we were 14 and we have been together for 9 years now. We have both obviously changed a lot over the years but we have only ever grown closer, even when I went to uni. We have recently moved into our first house and I'm confident that we will get married one day. I'm not saying that we've never had problems, becasue we have, but we have always managed to get through them. A lot of my friends tell me how rare it is to stay together so long at our age, but we got lucky I guess.
Reply 16
Original post by Kaylax3

That's such a sweet reply. I can see that it must be a dramatic change for you being with someone from as young as 13. It'd be such a cute love story if you ended up together.. I hope it works out for you too, whatever you decide to do.

You're right, there are huge life decisions to be made that I am already finding easier to make with him in my life. I have no family as far as I'm concerned, so he is quite literally the only person I will ever have. I no longer believe in fairytale love, I believe in a love much deeper than that. A love where you can take what ever life throws at you because you are so strong together. Without going into too much detail, we have been through more already than many people will go through in a lifetime.

We're currently at university together and share our hopes and dreams for the future, so all we can do is take each day as it comes and fall more and more in love. The reason I've made this thread is partly because I love hearing success stories of young love and partly because I would love to hear that there is hope. He's my entire life, and I can't possibly imagine life without him.

Thank you again for your kind words. :smile:
Original post by smileymileyx
:yes: A friend's parents started dating when they were 14 (f) and 16 (m). They are now still happily together at 52 and 54 :smile:

I too know of a similar story: my cousin started dating this guy when she was 15 and it developed into a serious relationship (he was 16). However, they took a break for a few years just because the seriousness of the relationship just became too much for them and distance also became an issue when they moved away to different unis. But, they got back together when they were 24 and 25. Now they're happily married and expecting their second child! Success stories do happen.

Relationships have ups and downs. However, if you don't give up on each other and stay strong when there is a low point, and enjoy the high points together, relationships can certainly last a lifetime. :smile:
I really hope so. I don't think I really want to go through heartbreak after heartbreak :/
Reply 19
Original post by Llewellyn_J
Some do, but they are a very small minority. I am in a very similar situation to you. I'm 19 years old and my girlfriend is 20. We have been in a relationship for nearly 2 and a half years, one and a half of those have been long distance, during that time I've seen her once in the Summer for a couple of months. We have only run into our first major difficulties in the last couple of months. Though I really want a future with her and I love her with all my heart, to be brutally honest it could go either way at the moment.

if it can go either way then it tends to end up going the bad way :rolleyes: (either that or my cup is half empty)

Latest

Trending

Trending