The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Well said!
As for the lectures, I guess we can be a sad bunch together because I'd consider going to lectures for other subjects that interest me.

Ah tea and biscuits...the weakness of every English students heart.
Reply 41
I just hope that there's inter-college mixing if/when we go - I'll bet it could get quite boring if there isn't.

The mixing ain't done for you - that's your job. :wink: :p:
The mixing ain't done for you - that's your job.

Well then, I'll bring the chocolate digestives! :smile:
Reply 43
And Typhoo!
Reply 44
perdition
Well I can send you a copy of my personal statement if you PM me your email address :smile:

hi, thanks a lot, its really kind of you. i tried to PM you my address but your inbox was full so it wouldnt send!?
Typhoo?

What about PG Tips? Or good old Yorkshire Tea? :P
Reply 46
Well then, I'll bring the chocolate digestives!

...is the right answer! :biggrin:
And join University societies if you want to meet people from outside college, and get stuck in! :smile: (Take the digestives and tea, of whichever variety :wink: )
Marx
Ah tea and biscuits...the weakness of every English students heart.

Not plonk and Gitanes?
Da Bachtopus
Not plonk and Gitanes?

Yeah, for someone called "Marx" tea and biscuits is not really very, erm, radical. :p: Although when I smoked it was Gauloises.
thefin
hi, thanks a lot, its really kind of you. i tried to PM you my address but your inbox was full so it wouldnt send!?

oops sorry I'll have to resubscribe - my email address is on my username section though, click the picture of a person and you could send it to that if you want to!
Reply 50
englishstudent
Yeah, for someone called "Marx" tea and biscuits is not really very, erm, radical. :p: Although when I smoked it was Gauloises.

Well, this member of the Marx family is a tad conservative lol - actually, although I don't smoke, I seem to remember gin being rather popular around Cambridge...
Hehe.. I had wondered about your name. :p:

Didn't know gin was popular. For some reason I always had an image of people sitting around, drinking port.
Reply 52
Hullo.

English at Peterhouse, hopefully. I'm rather depressed right now as I know nothing about Othello, Blake, the Ontological argument, the Language argument, child language acquisition or... anything about AEA English.

But I'm sure it will be fine. *twitch*

Nice to meet you all! :smile:
Reply 53
Hiya! Am also going to be studying English next year, grades permitting, at Girton, so not too far away from Fitz Marx.

Haha I'm doing Othello and Blake Mata-I feel your pain. We just did our mock essays in them, what makes everything that much more difficult has to be the lack of any text in the exam to check that am not completely making up quotations( as has just happened, teacher found it quite amusing though)!

Good luck to all you guys with revision on the whole, I know I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed, although tis damn hard to get anything done when you have mounds of homework to deal with..

xxx
hey i applied to emmanuel n got pooled to new hall but hoping if lucky to study english!
wahay other people who hav problems wiv this fave book question! also i am v clumsy with spelling (due to the computer im sure) which is another problem i fear facing me if do manage to get in ... hopefully there r others with this predicament???
hehe dont no fav book n bad speller - gr8 english skills!
tried to read the ford madox ford book (gr8 name) but looked so hefty thought id leave it till summer. also been advised to read 'bleak house' b4 we start has any1 else heard anything??

hello to u all n hopefully b cin u all in october!
xxx :smile:
Reply 55
Hey, nice to meet you both. Pretty soon we'll have created an English network across all the colleges - I do hope we manage to...
Giraffe Goat - Bleak House is amazing!!!
Reply 56
Well, I'm allowed to drink the tea and biscuits then as my name means "Tea Time"! Woo and Yey...indeed, Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabes etc.

:redface:

I've been told not to drink any tea for another hour as I just gave blood...and feel all pathetic about it. Not the giving blood part, no no, the tea deprivation. Must have tea!

And biscuits.

But ah, gin! My friends will be very embarrassed indeed if they get asked anything concerning the "Cambridge and the dirty gin" story. Quite horrible, and two of the guilty party are hopefully going to Cambridge in October so I'm sure if they ever seen Emmanuel College again they shall feel slightly queasy...:wink: Muhahaha etc.

Oh and giraffe_goat (congratulations on having the craziest name yet :confused: ) my spelling is pretty awful too...the shame.
Reply 57
Bryllyg

But ah, gin! My friends will be very embarrassed indeed if they get asked anything concerning the "Cambridge and the dirty gin" story. Quite horrible, and two of the guilty party are hopefully going to Cambridge in October so I'm sure if they ever seen Emmanuel College again they shall feel slightly queasy...:wink: Muhahaha etc.

Should I ask? :p:
Reply 58
tried to read the ford madox ford book (gr8 name) but looked so hefty thought id leave it till summer. also been advised to read 'bleak house' b4 we start has any1 else heard anything??

The FMF book is only just over 100 pages long...you must have been looking at a collection of several of his works. Its just "The Good Soldier" I was talking about - it takes maybe 4 hours to read - hardly hefty!

What books it is most advisable to read before coming up depends on what your first paper is (this varies by college, and sometimes changes from year to year, so there's no way of knowing till you get your reading list in the summer). I did the Victorian-modern paper in first term, so it *was* helpful to have read the (genuinely hefty!) "Bleak House" in advance...but if your first paper is, say, the Renaissance, then "Faerie Queene" or "Paradise Lost" would be more helpful! Just wait and see...and read the longest books BEFORE you arrive. Not everyone does, but hell, it's damn useful! :biggrin:

P.S. I also have appalling spelling! It's what dictionaries are for, yes? :smile:
I've been told not to drink any tea for another hour as I just gave blood...and feel all pathetic about it. Not the giving blood part, no no, the tea deprivation. Must have tea!

:eek: I feel your pain. Don't feel pathetic!! Normally, I drink tons of the stuff, but I'm in Italy at the moment and it just doesn't taste the same. I even got my mum to send me some English tea and still... I think it's something in the water. Haven't had a decent cup in over six weeks. :frown:
Good job on giving blood though! (Do they not give you free biscuits to revive you afterwards? Ok, it's not tea... but it's still a free bisuit.)

but if your first paper is, say, the Renaissance, then "Faerie Queene" or "Paradise Lost" would be more helpful! Just wait and see...

I bought both those books at a second hand stall back in September. Had such good intentions... :p: Did read Paradise Lost (which I actually enjoyed, though it does get a bit hefty with all the demons' names!) but Faerie Queene is still sat on my shelf. Ah well... I'll get round to it. It's on my list of 'books I really should/would like to read', which seems to increase by the day.

"Just wait and see."
Yeah, I like this advice. No point in worrying until we have to!

(And if all else fails, more tea!!)

Latest