Intertextuality in "The Bloody Chamber" Watch

paleophelia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi
I need to find intertextuality in the collection of stories "The Bloody Chamber"
I have found some obvious ones such as Adam&Eve, Miss Havisham... but I am struggling to find any more!
billyx11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Broadly speaking, the rewriting of Bluebeard is a great route to explore on the theme of intertextuality. There exist many different versions of Bluebeard written by different authors that are accompanied by many different interpretations. The fact that it has been rewritten and reinterpreted so many times can be seen as Carter consciously acknowledging that she intends her collection of short stories to be engaging with the ideas of intertextuality.
laulau-
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The best thing to do with this is look into background stories, such as simple childhood fairy tales, as all of Carter's stories in the collection are based at least party upon fairy tales or legends.

The Bloody Chamber itself is obviously based upon Bluebeard, and follows the story quite closely. It also contains a phrase used in Shakepeare's Hamlet - "into the unguessable country of marriage"

The Snow Child, again obviously, mirrors the Brother's Grimm's Snow White.

The Lady of the House of Love can be seen as linking to, of course Great Expectation's Miss Havisham, but also can display parts of Sleeping Beauty.

The Erl King is based on Danish folklore (seductive but deadly fairy or siren)

Obviously, the wolf stories mirror Little Red Riding Hood.

The Tiger's Bride and The Courtship of Mr Lyon contain similarities with Beauty and The Beast. The Courtship also has intertextuality with Alice in Wonderland - "drink me", "eat me"
Kittykatpierce
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The bloody chamber is very much like Rebecca.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.44%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (65)
9.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (382)
56.68%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed