Turn on thread page Beta

Would you consider volunteering for clinical trials? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just wondered if anybody has or would think about volunteering for a clinical trial of some sort, I'm thinking of doing it - I wouln't mind earning £1000 for not doing very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Only if I really needed the money. What sort of things do they do to you?
    One of my friends was paid £3000 for a 48hr stay in which they were injected with insulin and had blood taken at regular intervals.

There is a whole range of things.

ReputationRep:
    yeh why not, so long as it was definitely not going to be fatal and i would recover from any adverse effects.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, if I was suitable. But I'm very boring and don't have any interesting medical history, so am of little use. Nor am I male or an identical twin, which also are quite popular criteria.

ReputationRep:
    i heard of someone having their finger cut off and sewn back on, and they got 5K. that could pay for my entire uni fees!!

ReputationRep:
    No, not in a million yrs, no matter how many pre human trials have been done you can never be certain it wont have bad side effects which no amount of moeny can compensate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    No, not in a million yrs, no matter how many pre human trials have been done you can never be certain it wont have bad side effects which no amount of moeny can compensate
    But if even something minor goes wrong such as you get a scar you can get thousands and besides your helping research, I'm definately going to look into it.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but i'd rarther not have anything done to me at all when its not nessacery, i'd only allow trials of new things if i was dieing and there was a posibility it could help me, in which case i wouldnt care about the money.

ReputationRep:
    no way!! i know someone that was a guinea pig for asthmatic inhalers...and she died!! well wat am i saying? money is a whole different story!!

ReputationRep:
    yeh, if you don't fancy anything weird, you can just give blood

normal stuff like gives you about £25-£30

al you got to do is sign up and be clean (no drugs, you naughty, naughty people!!!)

£30 is alrigt if you got a night out comin up or whatever

btw, i hae never done it, i know someone who works for a place that does these trials...ooooooh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    i heard of someone having their finger cut off and sewn back on, and they got 5K. that could pay for my entire uni fees!!
    There isn't enough money in the entire world. Ouch!

ReputationRep:
    just think some animals have no choice and have to go through this exept its a lot worse and instead of gettin paid they die.
    soz just speakin my mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vertago)
    no way!! i know someone that was a guinea pig for asthmatic inhalers...and she died!! well wat am i saying? money is a whole different story!!
    im sure this isnt entirely accurate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    just think some animals have no choice and have to go through this exept its a lot worse and instead of gettin paid they die.
    soz just speakin my mind
    Good point. I still wouldn't do it though.

ReputationRep:
    For the future of mankind, I shall bear the pain of medical research. And also the money wouldn't go amiss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    For the future of mankind, I shall bear the pain of medical research. And also the money wouldn't go amiss.
    Aww that is soooo honorable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    yeah, they prob wouldn't do too horrendous research on us humans, so I'd be u for it... need the money but being a girl can't just go and donate sperm for a quick £20. This could be my contribution to medical science, huzzah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    yeah, they prob wouldn't do too horrendous research on us humans, so I'd be u for it... need the money but being a girl can't just go and donate sperm for a quick £20. This could be my contribution to medical science, huzzah!

It's not "that" easy i've heard. You can't reproduce 3 days before hand, you can only go 3 times and they have a strict screening process.

Girls can donate eggs if they really like.

ReputationRep:
    hold on, surely anyone posting anything on this thread is considering volunteering for medical trials! ...just thought i'd... ill be quiet now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    hold on, surely anyone posting anything on this thread is considering volunteering for medical trials! ...just thought i'd... ill be quiet now...
    I'm not considering it.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.