The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
G4ry
It's not "that" easy i've heard. You can't reproduce 3 days before hand, you can only go 3 times and they have a strict screening process.

Girls can donate eggs if they really like.

You can only go 3 times? Why? I want to flood the world with my sperm.
Reply 21
I think you have to go a minimum of 3 times actually. What sort of stuff can you be asked to do in these clinical trials, and where can I find out about it?
Reply 22
imasillynarb
I think you have to go a minimum of 3 times actually. What sort of stuff can you be asked to do in these clinical trials, and where can I find out about it?

stuff like testing new painkillers for side effects, they advertise in university type places
Reply 23
Sage
I'm not considering it.

you did, how else would you arrive at the conclusion that you wouldn't do it?
Reply 24
imasillynarb

No, I think it's maximum, although I'm not 100% either. Otherwise it could turn into a handy part-time job (excuse the pun).
One clinical trial they did on a bunch of med students a few years ago was strapping them up to a machine with electrodes attached and just telling them their electrical impulses were being measured.
Half way through this 'experiment' they were then told that something had gone wrong, followed by a series of alarms and flashing lights. Then random people started rushing into the room with white coats on and started 'panicking'. This turned out to be a rather dubious experiment measuring medical student's hormones during high periods of stress!! - Slightly unethical me thinks.
Reply 25
timeofyourlife
No, I think it's maximum, although I'm not 100% either. Otherwise it could turn into a handy part-time job (excuse the pun).
One clinical trial they did on a bunch of med students a few years ago was strapping them up to a machine with electrodes attached and just telling them their electrical impulses were being measured.
Half way through this 'experiment' they were then told that something had gone wrong, followed by a series of alarms and flashing lights. Then random people started rushing into the room with white coats on and started 'panicking'. This turned out to be a rather dubious experiment measuring medical student's hormones during high periods of stress!! - Slightly unethical me thinks.

Try getting that past the LREC nowadays.
Reply 26
Daveo
Try getting that past the LREC nowadays.

Yes, I think the principle of 'non-maleficence' would crop up a few times during that meeting!
Reply 27
timeofyourlife
Yes, I think the principle of 'non-maleficence' would crop up a few times during that meeting!

Now you've lost me. HEHE!
Reply 28
Daveo

Sorry, ooh just read that medical students have the highest rates of suicide amongst all university students. Something bright to end the day with.
Reply 29
timeofyourlife
Sorry, ooh just read that medical students have the highest rates of suicide amongst all university students. Something bright to end the day with.

Oh great ..... Thanks for telling me that.
Reply 30
Daveo
Oh great ..... Thanks for telling me that.

No probs. Have you had your ball yet?
Reply 31
timeofyourlife
No probs. Have you had your ball yet?

No its on saturday at Old Trafford, not that I have any money left. How about yours?
Reply 32
Daveo
No its on saturday at Old Trafford, not that I have any money left. How about yours?

Yeah, saturday gone. Was absolutely great, although I would hope it would be for £50! Make sure you take a camera!
Reply 33
timeofyourlife
Yeah, saturday gone. Was absolutely great, although I would hope it would be for £50! Make sure you take a camera!

Ours was £45, i can't wait.
Reply 34
Daveo
Ours was £45, i can't wait.

I can't believe we're more than half way through the first year. I know this is a bit of a spammy post (I do usually post with more than a line!), but only another 50 to go and I'll reach 1000!! This place is surprisingly addictive!
Reply 35
timeofyourlife
I can't believe we're more than half way through the first year. I know this is a bit of a spammy post (I do usually post with more than a line!), but only another 50 to go and I'll reach 1000!! This place is surprisingly addictive!

I know, its tooooo addictive, i've done virtually no work today :frown:
Reply 36
At Cardiff Uni there is the common cold centre, and they pay about £20 or so for volunteers both with a cold/flu and healthy ones. Apparantly you get split into groups and some have their feet in a bowl of cold water and tubes up their nose or something... Sounds interesting anyway!
Reply 37
Daveo

You lost me at LREC, although I do know what non-maleficence is. Do you guys get a medics' ball then? We don't, but then I don't know if I could afford it on top of Clare May Ball (£90) :frown:
Reply 38
Helenia
You lost me at LREC, although I do know what non-maleficence is. Do you guys get a medics' ball then? We don't, but then I don't know if I could afford it on top of Clare May Ball (£90) :frown:

LREC = Local Research Ethics Committee
And yea we have a medics ball, its on saturday! WUUUUUUUUU.
Reply 39
Helenia

Just had mine (sat), twas certainly a memorable experience. Anywhere that has a champagne reception and lifesize DNA replica model in the reception room is certainly worth a night out, lol.
My friend's going to Claire Coll next year. I remember walking through the college with her when I accompanied her to an open day - very scenic. Your ball better be good for £90!

Latest