The Student Room Group

Boots interview this week - Help someone please!!

could someone please tell me what happens at a boots interview
i was really shocked when i saw the email as its really hard to actually get a chance to go to an interview for boots, but was also really excited cos i'd love to work there.

this what the email says:
We would now like to invite you to attend an assessment, As part of the exercise will be on the shop floor, we ask that you wear smart dress. On arrival you will meet with a manager who will be really keen to learn more about you and will ask you some interview questions. Following this, you will be invited onto the shop floor to complete some short exercises. These exercises are based on the types of things you would normally do in the role. In preparation for one of the exercises that you may be asked to complete, please give some thought to a product which really appeals to you personally and is likely to be available in the store you are applying to.

does anybody know what specific questions that could ask from previous experience, or could somebody explain what happens during the shop floor task, if so i would really appreciate the help

many thanks
Reply 1
Normally pick an item and sell it to them. The item doesn't matter as long as you come across well.
I had an interview at Boots and I picked the hair dye I use so pick something you use so you can describe it well.

Good luck!
Reply 3
which store did you apply to?
Reply 4
Original post by luky
which store did you apply to?

the store in strand, london
Reply 5
Original post by Rahyema
the store in strand, london

Please let me know How it goes I have an Interview at Marylebone!!
Reply 6
Original post by luky
Please let me know How it goes I have an Interview at Marylebone!!

it was really good!! i think i did well

first the manager took me up to the office and asked me a couple of questions about any work experience and then asked me about my team working skills ad stuff

i was then taken to the shop floor and had to sell him an item of my choice, i chose a moisturiser from boots that i regularly use.

i then had to approach customers and ask them if they needed help, whilst being assessed by the manager

the manager then asked me to watch customers come into boots and tell him whether they looked confident or not very confident and then explain why

the last thing we did was that he asked me to look at a shelf and tell him what could be improved, i said that the shelfs could be tided a little and that more stock was needed
he then said i had a few minutes to improve the shelves so i just tided up a little bit bit

then he took me back upstairs and said thankyou then bye and led me back downstairs

i think it went well and am waiting for a phone call so fingers crossed :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Rahyema
it was really good!! i think i did well

first the manager took me up to the office and asked me a couple of questions about any work experience and then asked me about my team working skills ad stuff

i was then taken to the shop floor and had to sell him an item of my choice, i chose a moisturiser from boots that i regularly use.

i then had to approach customers and ask them if they needed help, whilst being assessed by the manager

the manager then asked me to watch customers come into boots and tell him whether they looked confident or not very confident and then explain why

the last thing we did was that he asked me to look at a shelf and tell him what could be improved, i said that the shelfs could be tided a little and that more stock was needed
he then said i had a few minutes to improve the shelves so i just tided up a little bit bit

then he took me back upstairs and said thankyou then bye and led me back downstairs

i think it went well and am waiting for a phone call so fingers crossed :smile:

Hey omg thank you! im so nervous, do you remember exactly what the interview questions are im scared of that part?

and also how did you seel a cream to him?

many thanks

hope you get it good luck
Reply 8
I had mine today, got there ten minutes early and wore a burgundy pencil skirt with black blouse. The interviewer was a lovely camp man, so friendly, and he took me to the canteen which was just a table with a fruit bowl.

He asked me:

Why have you chose to apply for this role of Customer Assistant? which I answered the same as Why would you like to work here?

When have you helped someone with them asking?

When did you go out of your way to help someone without knowing them?

When have you worked in a successful team?

How did you make it successful?

How did this impact your group?

Then he went over my details and I showed him my passport and NI number to make sure I was eligible to work.

Then we went down to the store and first I had to answer some scenarios:

A woman who had never used conditioner before.

A woman who shampoo had stop making her hair glossy.

A woman who doesn't use any other hair products but wants glossy hair.

Then he asked me about the product that I'd picked which was Aussie Conditioner and asked me about Why I'd chosen it? How would I sell it to him? How would I sell it to an older customer? How would I sell it to a younger customer? I mentioned it had unique Australian ingredients, smells great, always on offer, huge range of other products. For elderly person, hair gets more brittle when you're older so moisturises and for a young person, dying hair and heat can damage it so it restores it to healthy hair. And said from my personal experience it was the best product for this.

I then had to sell a hand cream to a member of staff. It was anti-ageing so I told her even though she might need it now, it's good to start preventing, it comes with other day creams and creams for other parts of the body.

Then I did the tidying the aisle and I think they'd trashed one just so I could clean it up because it was a tip...Anyway I mentioned stock rotation, clear displays, clear promotions, all products facing the same way. Then he gave me five minutes to do all this. I pulled out products that didn't belong there as well and said I'd clean them up and put them where they should be.

Then I had to identify confident and uncertain customers and describe why. Then I had to approach customers.

He said there's other interviews later in the week and because I'm sixteen, if someone with more experience comes along I might not be in the running but I can still hope :smile:
Hope everyone else's went well!
Reply 9
Hi! Had an interview at Boots on Friday. Would just like to say thanks for the advice people have put up on here it was so helpful :smile:. Can anybody tell me how long they had to wait after the interview before they were offered the job?
Reply 10
I had an assessment a couple of weeks ago.
I was asked a few questions about my customer service, what I knew about boots.
I was taken onto the shopfloor and asked to tell him how I would sell my chosen product to him (I chose my ed hardy perfume which I had with me in my bag), a teenager and an elderly person. Then I was asked who I thought were the confident and not so confident customers, I mostly bull****ed through that lol. Then I had to approach customers and see if they needed help, most of them didn't need help apart from one customer who wanted a lipstick but they didn't have it so I had to ask the interviewer to help them lol. Then we went back into the office and I just asked him questions like when will I find out if I'm successful? what's the pay? what will my role be?

Hope this helps a bit.

I got rejected sad time I know but I've nearly got a job at Waitrose where I live so good times :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Em7
Hi! Had an interview at Boots on Friday. Would just like to say thanks for the advice people have put up on here it was so helpful :smile:. Can anybody tell me how long they had to wait after the interview before they were offered the job?

I found out about 2 weeks after the interview, I got rejected though :frown:
does anyone know the part where you answer a 'colleague questionarre' online, how long will a reply be?
The colleague questionnaire was 2 days for me, but it all depends.

I mainly joined to reply to a couple of these threads which really helped with an interview I had yesterday at Boots, not sure I've got the job yet, but the threads on here really helped, so replying with this on a few of them! Thanks very much.

Seems you helped me, I thought it would be only fair for me to comment with my experience in return for anyone that is viewing this and is yet to have their interview.

I went into the Boots branch about 5 minutes early, and was looking for a member of staff to ask where I should go with the tills so busy. I went for someone stocking shelves, and funnily enough it was the exact person I had my interview with. She told me to go to the back of the store and wait for five minutes whilst she finished that job. After less than five minutes she came over and took me through to the back. She was really nice, and we just sat in her office for 5 minutes talking about Boots, she photocopied my passport etc. and printed the relevant documents.

At this point there was a knock on the door, and it was lucky I'd turned up early, as head office had double booked the slot, with another girl having to wait of rearrange- I'm not sure which it was. Then we began. There were no questions, which surprised me, and she took me out on to the shop floor. She took me to the shampoo isle, and gave a scenario which I'd seen on here beforehand, with a teenager looking at conditioners confused. She asked what I'd say, how I'd want her to feel etc. and then we moved on. Next she asked what product I had chosen from the email I was sent (she didn't seem to have much knowledge of the application process herself having only joined 6 weeks earlier) and I went towards it, Ted Baker Shower Gel. She asked why it appealed to me and asked me to sell it to her personally, which I felt I did well on. Next I was taken to a deliberately untidy isle and asked how I'd change it in 15 minutes, and then what I'd do if I had a couple of hours. Finally, we walked around the store and I had to point out customers that looked confident, and those who didn't, and explain why. To build on this I had to approach customers and ask if they needed any help - they all said no!

That was pretty much all of the interview, at least what I can remember, until she said this was the end of the assessment and took me through to the office, where I assumed questions would be asked, but none were! This was a shock, but I was simply told about how Boots works, the pay rate, training etc. and told she'll get back to me with an email if I'm unsuccessful or an initial phone call if I'm successful by the end of next week. The lack of questions was worrying, but I didn't feel the interview went too badly. We'll see what happens!

Hope this helps anyone having their interview soon anyway, but I'm sure they normally include the questions so I'd be prepared for them too. She was a nice lady and it was an informal interview which I enjoyed. I would love a job there (although I've applied for a temporary Christmas position) as it seems a nice place to work!
hey guys,

I am considering applying for one of boot's xmas jobs but i'm not sure whether to apply for it just in case the job starts before the xmas hols and ends up clashing with my lectures. Anyways, does anyone when is the start date for the boots xmas jobs?
Reply 15
Original post by username1042290
The colleague questionnaire was 2 days for me, but it all depends.

I mainly joined to reply to a couple of these threads which really helped with an interview I had yesterday at Boots, not sure I've got the job yet, but the threads on here really helped, so replying with this on a few of them! Thanks very much.

Seems you helped me, I thought it would be only fair for me to comment with my experience in return for anyone that is viewing this and is yet to have their interview.

I went into the Boots branch about 5 minutes early, and was looking for a member of staff to ask where I should go with the tills so busy. I went for someone stocking shelves, and funnily enough it was the exact person I had my interview with. She told me to go to the back of the store and wait for five minutes whilst she finished that job. After less than five minutes she came over and took me through to the back. She was really nice, and we just sat in her office for 5 minutes talking about Boots, she photocopied my passport etc. and printed the relevant documents.

At this point there was a knock on the door, and it was lucky I'd turned up early, as head office had double booked the slot, with another girl having to wait of rearrange- I'm not sure which it was. Then we began. There were no questions, which surprised me, and she took me out on to the shop floor. She took me to the shampoo isle, and gave a scenario which I'd seen on here beforehand, with a teenager looking at conditioners confused. She asked what I'd say, how I'd want her to feel etc. and then we moved on. Next she asked what product I had chosen from the email I was sent (she didn't seem to have much knowledge of the application process herself having only joined 6 weeks earlier) and I went towards it, Ted Baker Shower Gel. She asked why it appealed to me and asked me to sell it to her personally, which I felt I did well on. Next I was taken to a deliberately untidy isle and asked how I'd change it in 15 minutes, and then what I'd do if I had a couple of hours. Finally, we walked around the store and I had to point out customers that looked confident, and those who didn't, and explain why. To build on this I had to approach customers and ask if they needed any help - they all said no!

That was pretty much all of the interview, at least what I can remember, until she said this was the end of the assessment and took me through to the office, where I assumed questions would be asked, but none were! This was a shock, but I was simply told about how Boots works, the pay rate, training etc. and told she'll get back to me with an email if I'm unsuccessful or an initial phone call if I'm successful by the end of next week. The lack of questions was worrying, but I didn't feel the interview went too badly. We'll see what happens!

Hope this helps anyone having their interview soon anyway, but I'm sure they normally include the questions so I'd be prepared for them too. She was a nice lady and it was an informal interview which I enjoyed. I would love a job there (although I've applied for a temporary Christmas position) as it seems a nice place to work!

Did you get the job ?
Original post by Taibaa
Did you get the job ?

10 years late mate dont think theyre here anymore

Quick Reply