Edinburgh Vet School Q&A Watch

Cetacea
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone,

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for all those applying or thinking of applying to Edinburgh to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them. There's already a thread for Bristol and Liverpool.

Cetacea
ellehamilton
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Edinburgh's my favourite by a long way, would be amazing to get in

Just out of interest, how much time a week is spent on practicals/animal handling and how much is lectures? I know it's an intensive course but was just wondering how it was divided up
Kysa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for making this thread! Edinburgh is awesome, so far away from home though!
I was wondering how far away the vet school is from the accommodation areas. How difficult is it/how long does it take to get there, and do you need a car?
Cetacea
Rep:
?
(Original post by ellehamilton)
Edinburgh's my favourite by a long way, would be amazing to get in

Just out of interest, how much time a week is spent on practicals/animal handling and how much is lectures? I know it's an intensive course but was just wondering how it was divided up
Every week we have one histology practical (looking down microscopes at slides) and at least one, normally two, anatomy practicals which are dissections or group work looking at specimens and radiographs. Practicals last 2-3 hours depending on what you're doing. The rest of the time is lectures which are 50 minutes each. Some weeks are very lecture-heavy, some weeks are quite relaxed. It is very variable!

In terms of animal handling, we usually have an animal handling practical once a week. For cattle we go to Langhill, the university's dairy farm about 2 miles from Easter Bush, for sheep we use the sheep unit at Easter Bush, and for pigs it's a farm a few miles away from the vet school.

What I love about the course is that one minute you could be doing biochemistry, then dissecting, then turning over a sheep! If you love variety then it's an incredible course to be on.

(Original post by Kysa)
Thanks for making this thread! Edinburgh is awesome, so far away from home though!
I was wondering how far away the vet school is from the accommodation areas. How difficult is it/how long does it take to get there, and do you need a car?
The vet school is located at the Easter Bush Campus, around 8 miles south of Edinburgh. The campus is served by three bus routes, all of which run between the city and beyond the vet school to Penicuik. Some routes are more frequent than others but on the whole the buses are pretty good considering how rural the campus is. You certainly don't need a car if you're living close to the city centre because it's really easy to catch the bus. I haven't had a problem with the buses so far.
Tarnia
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just to add to that...if you are thinking of staying in student accommodation, most of that is in central Edinburgh, which is probably roughly 30min drive/bus ride from Roslin/Bush campus. If you are thinking of going for private accommodation, you can be as close or as far as you want to be. I know people that live 5-10min bus ride (walking distance) from campus.
emmah629
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was wondering what they thought about doing ems abroad? I know they are avma accredited so wasnt sure if you could go over there? (provided you could afford transport!)
Cetacea
Rep:
?
(Original post by emmah629)
I was wondering what they thought about doing ems abroad? I know they are avma accredited so wasnt sure if you could go over there? (provided you could afford transport!)
You are allowed to do some of your EMS abroad, but for things like dairy and lambing you need to have seen a certain amount of UK farming systems. Basically what you can't do is do all your farming EMS abroad but you can do some. Another popular thing if you're into exotics (like me) is wildlife courses in South Africa/Australia/NZ etc but for your animal husbandry (pre-clinical EMS) this would count as 'free choice'.

Not too sure what the situation is for clinical EMS as I'm only first year!
emmah629
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cetacea)
You are allowed to do some of your EMS abroad, but for things like dairy and lambing you need to have seen a certain amount of UK farming systems. Basically what you can't do is do all your farming EMS abroad but you can do some. Another popular thing if you're into exotics (like me) is wildlife courses in South Africa/Australia/NZ etc but for your animal husbandry (pre-clinical EMS) this would count as 'free choice'.

Not too sure what the situation is for clinical EMS as I'm only first year!
Cool beans!
I was more asking for the exotics side haha would love to go all over the place and do some but dont think my bank would strech that far!
Would you say Ed is good for exotics? Im undecided between farm and exotics, bit different I know haha I did love it when I had my interview last year though, so fingers crossed they'll let me have another :rolleyes:
Cetacea
Rep:
?
Cool beans!
I was more asking for the exotics side haha would love to go all over the place and do some but dont think my bank would strech that far!
Would you say Ed is good for exotics? Im undecided between farm and exotics, bit different I know haha I did love it when I had my interview last year though, so fingers crossed they'll let me have another :rolleyes:
Definitely. Edinburgh is the only UK vet school with a dedicated wildlife and exotic animal ward. It's in the small animal hospital and treats people's exotic pets as well as wildlife. It's one of the many reasons why I always loved Edinburgh and chose to apply!
wallaby
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wow how did I not know this?! Thank you so much! I just had a quick google :P Edinburgh has rocketed to number 1 though tbh it was already joint! Off to my local wildlife hospital this morning ^.^ Though it is about 80% hedgehogs at the moment as people keep seeing them, weighing them and bringing them in so they don't die over winter :') (thanks spring watch haha) We had a pole cat too last week though I love seeing animals that I've never seen in real life before, it's so surreal.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Cetacea
Rep:
?
(Original post by wallaby)
Wow how did I not know this?! Thank you so much! I just had a quick google :P Edinburgh has rocketed to number 1 though tbh it was already joint! Off to my local wildlife hospital this morning ^.^ Though it is about 80% hedgehogs at the moment as people keep seeing them, weighing them and bringing them in so they don't die over winter :') (thanks spring watch haha) We had a pole cat too last week though I love seeing animals that I've never seen in real life before, it's so surreal.

If you want more info on their exotics and wildlife service, check out this link. I know, it's such a great place. What's the name of your local wildlife hospital?

Good luck with your application, hope you do well with Edinburgh!
wallaby
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cetacea)
If you want more info on their exotics and wildlife service, check out this link. I know, it's such a great place. What's the name of your local wildlife hospital?

Good luck with your application, hope you do well with Edinburgh!
Ah thank you! Lower moss wood, I say local... It takes about 2 hours to get there via public transport every week, though only 30minutes when my friend who's started going drives There is only 1 volunteer vet though and she only comes on Tuesdays (when I'm not there) so I'm sure the Edinburgh one is amazing in comparison and they will probably get more funding. It's great though as they let you do a lot more than small animal practices do!

Tarnia
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I agree Edinburgh is great for exotics. This is what I'd like to do as well and I'm part of the Exotics and Zoo society there.

As for clinical EMS abroad, you are welcome to do as much abroad as you like. I am from Canada so most of my EMS has been over there. They do recommend you try not to do too many "Vets Go Wild" game reserve type courses as while valuable they do recommend you get a lot of first-opinion clinical experience, as that is also what you will be examined on.
ManedWolf
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tarnia)
Just to add to that...if you are thinking of staying in student accommodation, most of that is in central Edinburgh, which is probably roughly 30min drive/bus ride from Roslin/Bush campus. If you are thinking of going for private accommodation, you can be as close or as far as you want to be. I know people that live 5-10min bus ride (walking distance) from campus.
Does anyone bike to the campus from uni accommodation? Bus rides just seem so much more expensive than investing in a bike.
Cetacea
Rep:
?
There are plenty of people who bike it down to the vet school each day, but not so much during the winter I think due to the dark mornings and evenings, plus it's been quite treacherous down there recently with all the snow. But it's certainly a good journey to do when the weather's ok!

Posted from TSR Mobile
peanut0608
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bit of an obscure question... But I'm applying and have two horses. Do you know of anyone who has horses and where they're stabled? Thanks
Hype en Ecosse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Out of 10, how much fun is the "let's all dress up in animal costumes" night out in Fresher's week?

When do you guys start to have "clinical contact" with the animals? Domestics, farm and exotics?

And how would you say the content of studying each animal - in a clinical and theoretical context - differs?
Cetacea
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
Out of 10, how much fun is the "let's all dress up in animal costumes" night out in Fresher's week?

When do you guys start to have "clinical contact" with the animals? Domestics, farm and exotics?

And how would you say the content of studying each animal - in a clinical and theoretical context - differs?
Great fun. It's a **** Vet tradition to have a 'safari supper' in Freshers' Week!

We start the bulk of our clinical work in third year, but we have already had basic introductory classes in clinical skills e.g. basic clinical exam of a dog. We have only had 'husbandry contact' with the farm species so far. Years 1-2 are 'pre-clinical' and years 3-5 are 'clinical'.

In anatomy we generally study the dog and the horse, but we also do some comparitive anatomy, e.g. dog and cat, cattle, sheep etc. It's all pretty interesting so I don't mind what species we study really!
emmah629
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Im not sure if you would know this, but I was thinking of asking about doing a doctorette in something when I qualify, but wasnt sure if people waited untill they had had a few years experience in general practice or what ever first? Do you know if anyone at Ed wants to do something like that?

Oh and a Safari supper sounds amazing!
Cetacea
Rep:
?
Im not sure if you would know this, but I was thinking of asking about doing a doctorette in something when I qualify, but wasnt sure if people waited untill they had had a few years experience in general practice or what ever first? Do you know if anyone at Ed wants to do something like that?

Oh and a Safari supper sounds amazing!
It really varies depending on whether you want to get out into the wide world and get some clinical experience under your belt, or whether you want to stay in academia for a bit longer. I would have thought the former is more common; you'll find that most people will want to go straight into practice when they graduate if they think 5 years is long enough! However this isn't always the case.

I know Edinburgh do offer quite a few taught and online postgraduate MSc programmes - the link is here if you're interested. Of course other vet schools offer postgrad stuff too; I'm actually thinking about doing the MSc in Wild Animal Health at the RVC at some point down the line!

Any other questions about Edinburgh just ask!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (35)
14.29%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.57%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.41%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (36)
14.69%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.24%
How can I be the best version of myself? (73)
29.8%

Watched Threads