The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Vet School Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Tarnia
There is both the horse society, which runs English riding lessons (have talked about starting Western but I don't think they have yet) for beginners (wt learning to canter I think), intermediates (wtc jump 2ft I think) and advanced. I think the beginner lessons might be Wed afternoons, I don't remember when the intermediate lessons are, I think Wed or Thurs aft/evening and the advanced lessons are Thurs. evenings (leave the vet school around 5pm). The lessons are arranged by carpooling, where one person volunteers to drive and gets paid carpool/gas money from anyone also traveling in the car. If someone does not volunteer to drive, then generally the lesson does not run as both Dryden (intermediate lessons) and Kingsbarn (advanced lessons) are not very public transit accessible/are a fair distance away. I have done one advanced lesson (have tried to go back but a mixture of lack of time and lack of availability) at Kingsbarn, and I think we left Bush around 5pm and I got back to city center around 9pm, to give you an idea of the time commitment.

If you just want to hack/trail ride, there is also the pony trekking society. The R(D)SVS maintains a herd of Exmoor ponies, and run treks through the Pentlands on weekends for the public (including students). It is I think 20 pounds to do a ride, or if you purchase a membership then 18 pounds. Or, you can do the trek leader's course, which runs every Wed. afternoon for I think 3-4 hours, plus a 1 week commitment in the summer if I remember correctly. And 2 weeks summer training. Once you complete the leader's course you're then a 'trek guide' and you lead the public treks, per an organised rota shared amongst all trek leaders.

There are also other private barns not specifically associated with the RDSVS in the area.

Hope that helps,
Tarnia.

That was very helpful, thank you! It wont let me rep you :frown:

Ill see how it goes with time and everything, would like to start from scratch and do beginners as although I can jump a bit I still forget how to tell if im trotting on the correct leg, which is a tad embarrasing :colondollar:
Reply 61
Ok, for those that wanted an example "day in the life of a first year"...here you go. I don't know if this is typical or very busy or....

Where it says Year 1 B4 for example...that is lab group B4. If you aren't in that group/that person, you would have that period off (unless you have something else booked).

Thursday 25 April
09:00 - 09:50
AB (animal body-course)
Lecture
PA6 Flies as parasites
Y1 (129)
EB-LT1 (the lecture theatre for the lecture)
NS (lecturer initials)

10:00 - 10:50
AB
Lecture
PA7 Flies as transmitters of pathogens
Y1 (129)
EB-LT1
NS

11:10 - 12:00
AB
Assessment
Power Point Presentations
Y1_B4 (5)
EB-1.43
DG

AB
Assessment
Y1_B6 (6)
EB-1.45
GM

AB
Assessment
Y1_B3 (6)
EB-1.42
FG

AB
Assessment
Y1_B5 (5)
EB-1.44
RD

12:10 - 13:00
AB
Assessment
Y1_C1 (5)
EB-1.42
FG

AB
Assessment
Y1_C3 (6)
EB-1.44
RD

AB
Assessment
Y1_C2 (5)
EB-1.43
DG

AB
Assessment
Y1_C4 (5)
EB-1.45
GM

14:10 - 15:00
AB
Assessment
Y1_C6 (5)
EB-1.43
JH

Etc...I deleted a few

14:10 - 17:00
AN
Practical
Horses 1
Y1_B (32)
EBVC
JM BW

15:10 - 16:00
AB
Assessment
Y1_D3 (6)
EB-1.42
CS

15:10 - 16:00
AB
Assessment
Y1_D5 (5)
EB-1.44
NM
Reply 62
Hi I was just wondering if there were many students that come right out of high school? Is this an unusual thing for Dick Vet? I wouldn't want to feel like the youngest and least prepared.

Reply 63
that is what I keep worrying about as well, but if it makes you feel any better I am also just graduating high school
Reply 64
In my year we are about half GEP students and half 5 year stream students. I am not sure how many of the 5 year stream students took a gap year, but there definitely are some that came straight out of high school. Only a few of the 5-year-stream have done a previous degree I think. I would not expect that to have changed significantly (I am in final year now).
Reply 65
okay thanks :smile: also since I'm a december baby I will only be 17.. :s-smilie: I know this is underage but hopefully I can still be part of freshers week...? and be allowed into the pubs :colondollar:

Also, Im a little confused on how our vet work should be recorded. Most people talk about in weeks, but I have always calculated my amount of time with vets in hours. How many hours is one week of Vet work? Is it 168 hours? Or do they mean that they worked maybe 3-5 hours a day.

Do you think it will be okay if on my application I just put the total number of hours I gained and how it was spread out?

Sorry for the all the questions :P
Reply 66
When I did preclinical EMS in my GEP year (or years 1 and 2 for the 5 year students), we were told that one week of EMS =40 hours. However, that is a question that might better be addressed to the uni itself-just to be safe. I'd hate to tell you 40 hours, and it really be 35 or something and next thing you know you look like you have less experience than you actually do!

Letting into pubs-officially if you're underage, no. I am NOT sure if they do wristbands or anything like that during fresher's to ID 17 year olds but still let them in. Not all events are at clubs/pubs though so you'd at least be able to participate in ones in people's homes or non-carded avenues.
Reply 67
Original post by glunt
okay thanks :smile: also since I'm a december baby I will only be 17.. :s-smilie: I know this is underage but hopefully I can still be part of freshers week...? and be allowed into the pubs :colondollar:

Also, Im a little confused on how our vet work should be recorded. Most people talk about in weeks, but I have always calculated my amount of time with vets in hours. How many hours is one week of Vet work? Is it 168 hours? Or do they mean that they worked maybe 3-5 hours a day.

Do you think it will be okay if on my application I just put the total number of hours I gained and how it was spread out?

Is this for the work experience form for when you apply? :smile: Because when I applied this year Edinburgh asked for everything in hours anyway so you won't need to convert it to weeks :smile: Though for other unis 5, 8 hour days was usually a week so 40 hours :smile: Though each form I filled out usually explained this and how to fill it out as they were all a bit different :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by glunt

Tarnia has pretty much covered it, although during my Freshers' Week in 2012 there were quite a few people with wristbands at certain things. You won't be excluded at all from freshers' week, there are so many things to do where alcohol isn't involved! Plus the university is of course used to having 17 year olds starting in first year.

For your application it will be fine to just tell them the number of hours. A day is usually 8 hours and a week is usually 5 working days = 40 hours.

It works a bit differently when it comes to pre-clinical EMS (i.e. we're told that a week should be at least 35 hours and is the normal working week of the placement). To be honest it's a bit of a grey area even for vet students!
Reply 69
Original post by Cetacea
Tarnia has pretty much covered it, although during my Freshers' Week in 2012 there were quite a few people with wristbands at certain things. You won't be excluded at all from freshers' week, there are so many things to do where alcohol isn't involved! Plus the university is of course used to having 17 year olds starting in first year.

For your application it will be fine to just tell them the number of hours. A day is usually 8 hours and a week is usually 5 working days = 40 hours.

It works a bit differently when it comes to pre-clinical EMS (i.e. we're told that a week should be at least 35 hours and is the normal working week of the placement). To be honest it's a bit of a grey area even for vet students!

Is it all pre clinical EMS in the first 2 years? And are there particular catorgories you need to fulfil and do certain amount of weeks at? :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by wallaby
Is it all pre clinical EMS in the first 2 years? And are there particular catorgories you need to fulfil and do certain amount of weeks at? :smile:

Yes, the first two years are pre-clinical. The requirements at Edinburgh are:

2 weeks cattle (1 week of which must be UK dairy farm)
2 weeks sheep (1 week of which must be UK lambing)
2 weeks horses
1 week pigs
1 week poultry
1 week kennels and cattery
1 week small mammals
2 weeks free choice

= 12 weeks

N.B. if you go to either a kennels or a cattery, you have to work with the other species as 1 week of your free choice. Hence most students try and find a '2-in-1' place.
Reply 71
Original post by Cetacea

2 weeks horses
1 week pigs
1 week poultry
1 week small mammals
2 weeks free choice

= 12 weeks

N.B. if you go to either a kennels or a cattery, you have to work with the other species as 1 week of your free choice. Hence most students try and find a '2-in-1' place.

Thank you this is really helpful :biggrin:
Reply 72
Original post by Cetacea

2 weeks horses
1 week pigs
1 week poultry
1 week small mammals
2 weeks free choice

= 12 weeks

Hey I was just wondering what type of experience students did if they went abroad for it? I'm guessing it depends on what individuals fancy, but I was wondering if anyone did things like go to America for a cattle ranch or something?
Reply 73
I agree with cetacea, but just to add: August before you start your 3rd year (so the August after your 2nd year/GEP year) you can start seeing up to 6 weeks clinical EMS and have it count.

"Preparatory EMS of about 6 weeks, to be undertaken when pre-clinical EMS has been completed. It is suggested that students should undertake at least three different types of placements to experience a range of veterinary work." http://www.rcvs.org.uk/education/extra-mural-studies-ems/#feedback
Reply 74
Emma, I'm from Canada so it is a bit different, but I have done:
1 week at a beef farm (preclinical)
2 weeks at a horse farm (preclinical)
1 week at a rabbit facility (preclinical)
1 week wildlife rehab (preclinical)
1 week cat/dog kennels (preclinical)

2 weeks South Africa (wildlife, clinical)
2 weeks South Carolina (spay and neuter, clinical)
2 weeks Toronto, Canada (equine racetrack, clinical)
4 weeks Toronto, Canada in exotics (clinical)
3 weeks Toronto, Canada in small animal (clinical)
1 week Port Perry, Ontario in farm (clinical)
1 week Toronto, Ontario in wildlife (clinical)
Reply 75
Original post by Tarnia
Emma, I'm from Canada so it is a bit different, but I have done:
1 week at a beef farm (preclinical)
2 weeks at a horse farm (preclinical)
1 week at a rabbit facility (preclinical)
1 week wildlife rehab (preclinical)
1 week cat/dog kennels (preclinical)

2 weeks South Africa (wildlife, clinical)
2 weeks South Carolina (spay and neuter, clinical)
2 weeks Toronto, Canada (equine racetrack, clinical)
4 weeks Toronto, Canada in exotics (clinical)
3 weeks Toronto, Canada in small animal (clinical)
1 week Port Perry, Ontario in farm (clinical)
1 week Toronto, Ontario in wildlife (clinical)

Thank you, that all sounds amazing!
Reply 76
Sorry what I meant by 'being a bit different' is I'm not so much going abroad as returning to my country of origin. :tongue: Though the ones in South Africa and the States were abroad.
Reply 77
Original post by Tarnia
Sorry what I meant by 'being a bit different' is I'm not so much going abroad as returning to my country of origin. :tongue: Though the ones in South Africa and the States were abroad.

It sounds amazing though! I would love to go to Canada, my parents were thinking of relocating years ago, but never did. I'm going to have to start saving for all the flights I hopefully want to have all over the place :tongue: I assume you have to fork out for the accommodation and things if you choose to go abroad
Reply 78
It can depend on the placement. The spay and neuter one I did normally provides accommodation, but is a VERY well known and well respected (and popular!) placement, and I think is booking 1.5-2 years minimum in advance right now. The South Africa one is a course and accommodation is provided as part of the course fee (NOT cheap!). The ones I did in Ontario, there may have been the possibility of accommodation for the beef placement, rabbit placement or horse placement but I doubt it. I was close enough to drive. The private clinics-it wasn't provided that I am aware of but could be very dependent on the clinic so it can't hurt to ask.

If you mean does the school help you at all...it does not help financially with ANY of the costs of EMS, abroad or within the UK, unless you win a specific award or something.
Reply 79
I assumed you would have to pay, thank you!

I have a question about laptops now :colondollar:

I have a mac book, it's kind of 'vintage' now, but I don't want to fork out for a new laptop. It has word and such on it, but on the Facebook group one of the admissions said that its not ideal as some programmes don't work on them. Does anyone know how many of the programmes/what they are for/how other mac users, if there are any, cope?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending