Turn on thread page Beta

Any computer experts on here? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello all.

Here is my dilemma, I want to use the SCANREG/RESTORE function (you get to a prompter screen when the screen loads up by holdind down CRTL) but when the prompter screen comes up, it gives me 6 choices (choice 5 and 6 are the only valid options to using scanreg/restore) and you choose 5 (Safe Command) and 6 (Safe Command prompt only) by selecting the appropriate number. However i have tried doing this and all i get is 'Startup is bypassed' or a message along those lines. Could anyone help me with this problem because I've never encountered this problem before and its a little frustrating too as I want to revert back to when my PC was performing good and not now as it is riddled with problems.

Also has anyone heard of this before "C:/windows/odbc.hta"? (i think it's a virus but i have searched the net and it doesnt come up)It too has only come up today and has really slowed my computer down tremdously and it takes about a minute to open BMP files and JPG files. Can anyone help me at all, I know there are some clever clogs on here lol

Emma

xxx

ReputationRep:
    If you're computer is running slow its usualy not a virus though it could be. It is more likely that you need more RAM. How much programs are many icons are they next to the volume control near the clock?

Most complains about slow PCs have been due to poor maintenance and lack of understanding of resources.

ReputationRep:
    odbc.hta is a normal windows component. Its something to do with Internet Explorer.

A format always does wonders, i format my pc every 6 months or so.
    If you are unsure about formating then you should get someone to help you

If you are going to format your harddrive, make sure you have backed up any thing you need to keep, and you have a list fo all your hardware (so you can download any drivers you need). Windows XP makes it resonably simple as you can just boot up from the cd and follow the screens once the format is complete

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    odbc.hta is a normal windows component. Its something to do with Internet Explorer.

A format always does wonders, i format my pc every 6 months or so.
    If you are unsure about formating then you should get someone to help you

If you are going to format your harddrive, make sure you have backed up any thing you need to keep, and you have a list fo all your hardware (so you can download any drivers you need). Windows XP makes it resonably simple as you can just boot up from the cd and follow the screens once the format is complete
    I've found I never need to format my hard drive now with XP, its a great operating system. I timed my PC from cold boot to load the XP task bar, it takes 14 seconds!! I don't even have a that good PC by modern standards (AMD Althlon 2000+, 512MB RAM, 80GB 7200RPM HD).

The change of hard drive speed up boot up a good 20 seconds or so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I've found I never need to format my hard drive now with XP, its a great operating system. I timed my PC from cold boot to load the XP task bar, it takes 14 seconds!! I don't even have a that good PC by modern standards (AMD Althlon 2000+, 512MB RAM, 80GB 7200RPM HD).

The change of hard drive speed up boot up a good 20 seconds or so!
    the difference between a 5400RPM and 7200RPM is only like milliseconds, but i agree a good make of harddrive is always better

i format to get rid of all the crud, spyware and crap, I like it after a format - pc feels like new

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    the difference between a 5400RPM and 7200RPM is only like milliseconds, but i agree a good make of harddrive is always better

i format to get rid of all the crud, spyware and crap, I like it after a format - pc feels like new
    Well the fact it was a clean install probably help matters some what

I am very careful what I install, in fact I don't even use Internet Explorer as its more prone to viruses.

ReputationRep:
    Well the fact it was a clean install probably help matters some what

I am very careful what I install, in fact I don't even use Internet Explorer as its more prone to viruses.
    yeh, me neither, i like mozilla firefox

ReputationRep:
    i install quite a lot of junk maybe thats why a format seems to be good for my machine

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Mozzila Firebox is what I use, no more annyoing pop ups, it never crashes either. I.E some times crashes. Also I can actually make Java applets a lot easier as I.E always caches them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Mozzila Firebox is what I use, no more annyoing pop ups, it never crashes either. I.E some times crashes. Also I can actually make Java applets a lot easier as I.E always caches them.
    being able to open pages in tabs is quite useful (althought i havent got into the habit of using them yet) and i have found that scrolling on sites is loads smoother.

i first tried it when i installed linux, but not long after i reinstalled xp but kept mozilla as it was good

linux is too hard and xp is good anyways - doesnt crash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    being able to open pages in tabs is quite useful (althought i havent got into the habit of using them yet) and i have found that scrolling on sites is loads smoother.

i first tried it when i installed linux, but not long after i reinstalled xp but kept mozilla as it was good

linux is too hard and xp is good anyways - doesnt crash
    I've had a play with Linux but to be honest I find Gnome no more stable than Windows 98. I just didn't get on with it, and I am a master of DOS so its not that its too difficult, though Unix is probably hard than DOS.

XP is great though, its only decent thing to come from Microsoft in the last 20 years.

ReputationRep:
    i used mandrake with KDE and that was quite stablec - i had is dual booting with xp for a while so i could choose which OS i wanted when i booted up - whihc was cool

I just found it annoying getting programs to work wiht it - compiling them and all that bollox. I managed to get an MSN Clone working on it and mozilla was quite easy to get working on it (although i had trouble getting Flash to work in linux). Printing was quite difficult too. Too much hassle

Win XP is great tho - stable and easy, point and click

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Firefox does crash for me sometimes. Like when I try to look at http://stats.football365.co.uk/dom/index.html for some reason.
    doesnt crash here weird

anyone know why its name changed from firebird???

I've found I never need to format my hard drive now with XP, its a great operating system.
    Lies!!! Linux and OSX will rule the world soon enough, then we can destroy the glorified spy-ware that is XP!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    i used mandrake with KDE and that was quite stablec - i had is dual booting with xp for a while so i could choose which OS i wanted when i booted up - whihc was cool

I just found it annoying getting programs to work wiht it - compiling them and all that bollox. I managed to get an MSN Clone working on it and mozilla was quite easy to get working on it (although i had trouble getting Flash to work in linux). Printing was quite difficult too. Too much hassle

Win XP is great tho - stable and easy, point and click
    I gave up when I realised the only way I could get on the internet with it was to write my own modem drivers! I have a router now though so setting up linux with the internet will be easy.

I am not sure why they have changed the name, either way I like it. There is version of it that ships with Mac OS X called Safari.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    doesnt crash here weird

anyone know why its name changed from firebird???
    prior ownership to that name or something like that probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Lies!!! Linux and OSX will rule the world soon enough, then we can destroy the glorified spy-ware that is XP!!!
    hehe ok can I ask you a question and asnwer this honestly? What operating system are you currently using (I mean right now)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    You can't play any decent games on linux anyways, and thats the best thing you can do with computers

DXOS is the OS that is gonna rule the world

DAMMIT i can't send this post: The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

there we go finally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma2004)
    Hello all.

Here is my dilemma, I want to use the SCANREG/RESTORE function (you get to a prompter screen when the screen loads up by holdind down CRTL) but when the prompter screen comes up, it gives me 6 choices (choice 5 and 6 are the only valid options to using scanreg/restore) and you choose 5 (Safe Command) and 6 (Safe Command prompt only) by selecting the appropriate number. However i have tried doing this and all i get is 'Startup is bypassed' or a message along those lines. Could anyone help me with this problem because I've never encountered this problem before and its a little frustrating too as I want to revert back to when my PC was performing good and not now as it is riddled with problems.

Also has anyone heard of this before "C:/windows/odbc.hta"? (i think it's a virus but i have searched the net and it doesnt come up)It too has only come up today and has really slowed my computer down tremdously and it takes about a minute to open BMP files and JPG files. Can anyone help me at all, I know there are some clever clogs on here lol

Emma

xxx
    Defragment your hard drive, and download a program called Cacheman, which will help to manage/tweak your available memory on your PC. Failing that, smash your PC to bits with a hammer.

ReputationRep:
    RISC is the best OS!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.