Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    No, it works fine. Its pretty much new, and some stuff works fine. Its mainly the drivers that don't seem to work for more than 5 minutes.
    Thats why alot of stuff isn't working, or it just makes up errors, or just ignores the hardware, even when it says its working fine.
    And you seriously think Microsoft can't manage to write a floppy driver considering the technology hasn't changed in god knows how many years? I think people might have noticed by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Sounds like your problems may lie with drivers to me. Hard drives shouldn't really be dodgy unless there's something physically wrong with them, I wouldn't blame XP for hard drive problems. They can't be that bad or you wouldn't be able to load XP at all.

Obviously your graphics card must be working, so what else isn't working?

Those system crashes sound ominous... sounds like maybe trying to run software or drivers incompatible with XP.
    My slave drive was new, and there were no problems when a family friend tried it in his machine.
    The graphics are working, sort of. The stuff's coming up on the screen okay and everything, but that i don't get because it says that the drivers for it aren't installed!

I don't think thats the problem. I'm using very standard kit from big name brands.
    My CD-RW's freecom. My printers HP (thank god i god rid of that Xerox).
    And my first modem was motorola (and i admit, obsolete), but my second is out of a new computer, and the drivers are fine on that. Apparently, something else is using the port it's on, although nothing at all has changed sinse the last time i used it.

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought the on-board diagnostics would have picked up any major problems with the motherboard. Serious motherboard problems usually mean you can't boot or at least something is flagged up at boot time.
    Yeah but when the problems are more subtle motherboards never pick them up themselves. I've seen one motherboard which just introduced memory errors for the hell of it and another that tried screwing up drives when the IDE controller went. The onboard diagnostics are only really good for it telling you there's no CPU/Memory/graphics etc.
    If the southbridge is playing up it could well be causing all those problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    And you seriously think Microsoft can't manage to write a floppy driver considering the technology hasn't changed in god knows how many years? I think people might have noticed by now.
    XP does not work with floppy drives from my experience.
    My machine, my cousins, at least four people from college, all run XP, and none of them can get a floppy drive to work.
    I've got three or four floppy drives at home, various ages, but none of them seem to work.
    Windows says they work fine, but it just ignores that its there, and that anything is in it.

ReputationRep:
    Internal or external? There shouldn't be a problem with port conflicts if there's only one modem installed. Check on control panel under phone & modem options, on the 'modems' tag that there's only one installed.
    Internal.
    I know how to check on my modem...
    There is only one installed, i've checked.
    And i haven't put anything else on there that would have any reason whatsoever to use the same port as the modem.

ReputationRep:
    Then there is definitely a problem with either the floppy drive, the cable, the floppy controller or the motherboard.
    On everyone who can't use a floppy drive?

ReputationRep:
    Presumably because I've never heard of anyone not being able to use a floppy drive with XP, ever.
    Haven't you?
    Well i am sure that isn't the problem, although i can check my floppy drives and stuff on a mates computer (running XP where somehow their floppy is working fine).
    But, i don't see how any of those could be true, as on 98, with exactly the smae floppy drive, everything worked fine.

ReputationRep:
    Presumably because I've never heard of anyone not being able to use a floppy drive with XP, ever.
    same here,

There are loads of people saying that they can't get their hardware to work properly with xp - they should tyr getting it to work with linux, i guarentee that they will have more problems. Most of the problems could be fixed just by downloading the latest drivers probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    same here,

There are loads of people saying that they can't get their hardware to work properly with xp - they should tyr getting it to work with linux, i guarentee that they will have more problems. Most of the problems could be fixed just by downloading the latest drivers probably
    With a modem that for no reason doesn't work?

ReputationRep:
    Then something must be fubar somewhere beyond my ken.
    Hmm... i think me too as well.

I'll just have to probably f-disk my hard drive and start again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Hmm... i think me too as well.

I'll just have to probably f-disk my hard drive and start again.

how many people here are using xp home and how many people are using professional??? professional is much better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    how many people here are using xp home and how many people are using professional??? professional is much better
    I'm using professional, and so are most of my mates with the problem.

ReputationRep:
    I have a corporate version of XP pro, the only hardware problems I've had related to the OS itself are a capture card and a scanner where both don't have XP-compatible drivers. All my other stuff works just dandy.
    i have corporate vesion too

yeh, i had an old plustek parallel scanner which would work on xp becasue the company decided not to make XP drivers for it (but it was quite an old scanner)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah mine is a Mustek scanner, still works pretty well but it just won't work with XP no matter what I try. I have to use it on another comp running 98 and then transfer the files over which is a pain as I don't have networking.
    ahhh, i would have bought a cheapish new one, but i rarely use it, so i thought it would be a waste

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.