Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    when i go to universtiry, i was wondering whether i should get a part time job, as a special constable, and was wondering how long it would take for training, and if on average all universtiys give an acceptable amount of that time off?
    i any1 can answer i thank them
    -Sameth

ReputationRep:
    I think to be a special constable you have to do a minimum of 4 hours a week or something so there would be no need to request time of university or anything, I'm sure the hours are flexible with the police as it's a 24 hour job. I wouldn't just go in to for the novelty of it being a cool job though, it would have to be something you actually want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Wow -- I always thought that I was the only person with the idea of going in for the police while at uni! I think a big downside is that they don't pay anything apart from meagre expenses. Have a look at their website http://www.specialconstables.gov.uk/

ReputationRep:
    I for one want to keep as far away from the leng as I can whilst at uni.

From what I've heard, Entz organisers have cool jobs because they are in contact with booze + party food suppliers, and they can take a share of the proceeds of events plus a lot of free booze and food. If they are well connected, VIP passes to the good clubs and the best gigs are within arms reach.

ReputationRep:
    it's 6 weeks training BUT only weekends. I was going to join but the application form is far too intrusive and personal, so I decided not to.

ReputationRep:
    being a special constable is a good idea if u wanna b a cop after uni, otherwise theres no point and you may as well get a job that pays

ReputationRep:
    also, if you do want to be a police officer then why are you going to uni. all you have to do is pass the tests and your obviously smart enough if ure at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew_200)
    also, if you do want to be a police officer then why are you going to uni. all you have to do is pass the tests and your obviously smart enough if ure at uni
    If you have a degree in something like law or criminology then it will help you if you get promoted to inspector or something if you have a proper knowledge in those areas plus its something to fall back on if the police doesn't work out

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone goes to uni just for careerist purposes -- I actually think I'll enjoy my subject and enjoy university life. Also as britishseapower says it'd be likely to increase promotion prospects, probably even if the degree is in an unrelated subject.

ReputationRep:
    Its possible to get put on the Home Office fast track scheme. This aims to promote you into positions of responsibility earlier in your career. You do need a degree though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sameth)
    when i go to universtiry, i was wondering whether i should get a part time job, as a special constable, and was wondering how long it would take for training, and if on average all universtiys give an acceptable amount of that time off?
    i any1 can answer i thank them
    -Sameth

I do pole dancing with my favorite snake - a boa called Whoa!

Pays very well.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.