Bethany12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm doing A2 Geography now, and last year overall I got a D. Target grade a B. Long story short, I got a B and an E which = a D overall. So now I am retaking the main June 2012 exam in January in a few months. I am going to revise way earlier than I did before, but I am struggling with how I will do it.

I just find Geography A-level so hard to revise for. I sit at home with my notes and just don't know what to do with them. It seems even if I learn as much as I can about a topic, I still don't get good marks because of the way you have to write the answers. Especially in A2 for the essay questions. Man, they are hard to know how to answer.

Any pointers would be really appreciated.
E.g. how do you do well in these Geography exams? Tips for revising in small bites? Tips for practicing essay questions/answers?
I would love to get a B or C in this A-level otherwise I just know I haven't done my best.
Thanks to anyone who answers.
Jade10128
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bethany12)
I'm doing A2 Geography now, and last year overall I got a D. Target grade a B. Long story short, I got a B and an E which = a D overall. So now I am retaking the main June 2012 exam in January in a few months. I am going to revise way earlier than I did before, but I am struggling with how I will do it.

I just find Geography A-level so hard to revise for. I sit at home with my notes and just don't know what to do with them. It seems even if I learn as much as I can about a topic, I still don't get good marks because of the way you have to write the answers. Especially in A2 for the essay questions. Man, they are hard to know how to answer.

Any pointers would be really appreciated.
E.g. how do you do well in these Geography exams? Tips for revising in small bites? Tips for practicing essay questions/answers?
I would love to get a B or C in this A-level otherwise I just know I haven't done my best.
Thanks to anyone who answers.
Hi! I'm in a similar situation, instead I got C's in both. So I'm retaking my skills exam and gonna aim to get B's in the following exams. I agree that it is very hard to revise for, the content itself isn't hard to get your head around, but even my teachers agree that it if hard to answer the actual exam topics to know what the examiner is looking for! As for the revision bit, do you have any revision guides? Don't get me wrong the textbook is great for the in depth stuff, but summerative notes are good to stick in your head, I currently use and highly recommend:

CGP Revision guide (A2 AQA) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Geogra...3509204&sr=8-1

And this is a very handy summerative note revision guide - http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Revision-...3509204&sr=8-2

Another good revision technique is making spider diagrams, post-it/posters on bedroom walls (visual stuff), for the essays I recommend just practicing past papers as much as you can! I have no idea how I'm gonna cope with the A2 ones either in June, they just cause for a hell of a lot of practice. I'd love to bring my C to a B too! Hope I helped
Bethany12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Jade10128)
Hi! I'm in a similar situation, instead I got C's in both. So I'm retaking my skills exam and gonna aim to get B's in the following exams. I agree that it is very hard to revise for, the content itself isn't hard to get your head around, but even my teachers agree that it if hard to answer the actual exam topics to know what the examiner is looking for! As for the revision bit, do you have any revision guides? Don't get me wrong the textbook is great for the in depth stuff, but summerative notes are good to stick in your head, I currently use and highly recommend:

CGP Revision guide (A2 AQA) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Geogra...3509204&sr=8-1

And this is a very handy summerative note revision guide - http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Revision-...3509204&sr=8-2

Another good revision technique is making spider diagrams, post-it/posters on bedroom walls (visual stuff), for the essays I recommend just practicing past papers as much as you can! I have no idea how I'm gonna cope with the A2 ones either in June, they just cause for a hell of a lot of practice. I'd love to bring my C to a B too! Hope I helped
Hey!
Thank you so much for advice and the links! I ordered the CGP one as I think I have heard they have really clear notes and so will try with that one first. I also ordered one for the AS exam.

You're right, I guess it just takes lots and lots of practice and not giving up. Also trying not to stress. Haha. Good luck for your exams, hopefully we will both get a B in the end!!
Jade10128
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No worries, best of luck to you too !
VoguerClass
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jade10128)

Hi!

I know you've gone and done your A2 exams now, how were they? I'm REALLY struggling with Geography at A Level. Last year at AS Level, for both skills and the written paper I got a D. Overall I was 7 marks off a C. I'm retaking Skills instead of the written paper as less revision is required and less stress.

So along with the CGP guides what else did you use? I'm thinking of writing every case study I need on an A3 piece of paper with loads of information from different resources. But I want to get a C at least, please tell me how you went about aiming for this?!

Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.89%
Excited but a bit nervous (121)
45.66%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.83%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.62%

Watched Threads