What is a ghetto? watch

ReputationRep:
    any answers appreciated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usuallystressed)
    any answers appreciated?
    hehe In what sense?

ReputationRep:
    An economic deprived area such as Kingston (Jamaica) or the favela towns on the outskirts of Rio De Janerio. There are no ghetto's in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    An economic deprived area such as Kingston (Jamaica) or the favela towns on the outskirts of Rio De Janerio. There are no ghetto's in the UK.
    great, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    or a section of a town where a particular race is imprisoned to be deported later on and executed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    or a section of a town where a particular race is imprisoned to be deported later on and executed.
    That aswell.. like the start of Scarface with all the Cubans

ReputationRep:
    any answers appreciated?
    Ask ^mjg^.

ReputationRep:
    Beswick in Manchester. The Hulme crescents were classic gehto's but they are long gone now :mad:

Slough is another gheto.

ReputationRep:
    There are no ghetto's in the UK, or even Europe for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    1. The quarter in a city, chiefly in Italy, to which the Jews were restricted.

2. transf. and fig. A quarter in a city, esp. a thickly populated slum area, inhabited by a minority group or groups, usu. as a result of economic or social pressures; an area, etc., occupied by an isolated group; an isolated or segregated group, community, or area.

Straight from OED.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    1. The quarter in a city, chiefly in Italy, to which the Jews were restricted.
    why chiefly in italy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    why chiefly in italy?
    Merchant of Venice type persecution.

ReputationRep:
    there's been jewish ghetto's all over europe these past few centuries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    why chiefly in italy?
    I had a look in my OED and it says - 'origin - perh. from Italian getto 'foundry' (because the first ghetto was established on the site of a foundry in Venice)'

ReputationRep:
    A ghetto mah friend in rappy technical terms..... it means a area where coloured people leave and share homemade cakes...and teenagers rap and alll, and by the way there are ghettos in da uk bro ,,, get outmore

ReputationRep:
    I do get out to places you would fear to tread young child. This year alone, I've gone to Peckham, Brixton and Elephant and Castle - supposed ghetto's. They just aren't, there are nice parts in all three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    I do get out to places you would fear to tread young child. This year alone, I've gone to Peckham, Brixton and Elephant and Castle - supposed ghetto's. They just aren't, there are nice parts in all three.
    but have you been to streatham?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I have family in Upper Tooting, so I pass through it regularly.

It's a shithole.. not a ghetto though. It's a safe place to walk through during daytime and there seems to be alot of community activities.

ReputationRep:
    any answers appreciated?
    In slang terms, it's another word for da hood. :cool:

Ask ^mjg^ for any more information, he shall answer all your queries!

ReputationRep:
    ^ give it a rest, ********.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.