Hair suddenly incredibly knotted when wet - falls out when brushing!

Watch
Leighcakes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've never had any issues with my hair - it's always been pretty knot-free, it's fairly fine and thin and just below my shoulders in length. However, lately, when coming out of the shower it's just RIDICULOUSLY knotted. I have to spend about 20 minutes brushing it through before I can blow-dry, and by then my hairbrush is filled with stray hairs that have come out. I'm really worried it'll start to show that I'm losing hair.

I've not changed shampoo or conditioner, not had any drastic hairstyle change, I've been using the same heat-protective spray for 5 years and I've lived in the same house so it can't be the difference between going from soft/hard water. I really don't know why this is happenng but it's making my life a living hell. It takes me about 45 minutes to do my hair now when previously it'd take only 20.

I've tried de-tangling spray, which does nothing. I've tried combing it in the shower when the conditioner is in and that just gets the comb stuck in my hair and the knots worse. I've tried leaving it to dry naturally for a little bit before brushing it, but that just makes the knots dry together and even harder to brush out. I'm stuck for solutions.

What can I do? Has anyone had the same issues or know of any miracle cure? I think I'm going to go mad... :confused:
n.m0rg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Try brushing your hair whilst dry before you wash it, then try to not mess it up when you wash it. leave in conditioner longer than usual and rinse out. I don't recommend brushing your hair whilst wet because it will be stretchy and more brittle, this its probably why you find your brush full of hair. I gently comb in my parting whilst wet so it doesn't dry funny and leave the length to dry naturally and brush after. don't tug at knots when brushing try to work at tangles gently start at the ends of your hair and move up toward your parting. As to why your hair is acting silly, it might be down to diet, the sun, your water company adding more chlorine, the age of your hair or hormones? loads of info around about hair care the internet! Good luck :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
<3 inbetweener =D
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Leighcakes)
I've never had any issues with my hair - it's always been pretty knot-free, it's fairly fine and thin and just below my shoulders in length. However, lately, when coming out of the shower it's just RIDICULOUSLY knotted. I have to spend about 20 minutes brushing it through before I can blow-dry, and by then my hairbrush is filled with stray hairs that have come out. I'm really worried it'll start to show that I'm losing hair.

I've not changed shampoo or conditioner, not had any drastic hairstyle change, I've been using the same heat-protective spray for 5 years and I've lived in the same house so it can't be the difference between going from soft/hard water. I really don't know why this is happenng but it's making my life a living hell. It takes me about 45 minutes to do my hair now when previously it'd take only 20.

I've tried de-tangling spray, which does nothing. I've tried combing it in the shower when the conditioner is in and that just gets the comb stuck in my hair and the knots worse. I've tried leaving it to dry naturally for a little bit before brushing it, but that just makes the knots dry together and even harder to brush out. I'm stuck for solutions.

What can I do? Has anyone had the same issues or know of any miracle cure? I think I'm going to go mad... :confused:
i've had the exact same issue as in when i come out the shower my hair has gone mental and knotty... its been like that for me for about a year and if it makes you feel better my hair looks the same in terms of hair loss etc.

i have no idea what it is, everyone I've described it to looks at me as if I'm mental haha. I've started using hair oil (put it in a few hours before i wash it) to make my hair stronger, it does make my hair shinier, it doesnt solve the tangly problem but in terms of making your hair fall out less i definitely think it works.

i also think its hair texture - i have a decent amount of hair but my hairdresser said the hair strands itself are thin, and i think they're prone to becoming knotty... not sure how that can suddenly happen but it definitely happened to me too
ForgettingWhatsername
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My hair's like that as well, what I do is brush it before I wash it while it's still dry, makes it so much easier to comb it after washing it!
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is just finger in the wind, so I could be talking nonsense - but do you use a lot of products with silicones in them (look for '-cone' on the back of your product) and/or lighten your hair? Whilst they're not a problem most of the time, if you use them a lot they can build up, and if there's bleach damage in the mix as well it can make hair really unmanageable. My personal regime (fine, knotty bleached hair) is to use a clarifying shampoo to remove build up (tresemme deep cleansing) - your hair will feel GRIM when you do this, but it works. Then I use the tresemme naturals conditioner (no silicone) on my whole head and comb through with my fingers to make sure it's not knotty before washing out and squeezing as much water out as I can. Leave to get as dry as possible before using the blow dryer (a comb is fine to style when wet but not a brush since your hair is very fragile) and don't rub your hair if you towel dry. Try not to brush it until it's fully dry.

If you're still having problems and you do lighten it, it may be that your hair is actually quite damaged and could do with protein reconstructing (e.g. Joico K-pak reconstructor) and it's knotting up because the cuticle is rough and knackered. Damage can take a very long time to show, especially if you colour over the same areas when you do your roots. The strands that come out, are they stretchy and chewing gum-like when wet, or do they bounce back and/or snap?
RibenaRockstar
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had that, I think it must have been a hormonal thing. I've been using Dove Leave-In conditioner which is amazing!
Leighcakes
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
This thread is over 6 months old folks! Whilst it's still normally knotted (as most hair is) after washing, I've found it to be a lot better. I spoke to my hairdresser about it and I have a wide-toothed comb I used to comb my conditioner through. I always make sure I brush the knots out of my hair before going in the shower and use a heat-protective spray (a treseme one) before blow-drying. It's been so much better since.

Thanks for the suggestions, they were spot-on albeit a little late!
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oops! Glad you're sorted now though

Posted from TSR Mobile
danielaandrea
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Try brushing it after blow drying I find its so much better, it might be your hair is dry so tangles easier, try some deep conditioning masks that might help it too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bikiniamore
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Dear leighcakes... What u have described here is exactly what has just started happening to me. over the past couple of months my hair, long to almost my waste which Ive never ever had an issue with, is suddenly knotting when I put my conditioner in. Its knot free when I step in the shower -somehow during conditioning it becomes a mass of knots which are so painful to comb out Im in tears. I hv a very high pain threshold - this is not normal. like you, it takes me up to an hour to become knot free.

today I washed my hair as normal the same thing happened the pain to remove them this time, was the worst its ever been. so I decided to take a close look at these "knots". what I discovered was these so called knots aren't knots as we wld normally experience. When I slid my fingers up + down the hair it was attached to, they started to dissolve - at the same time the knot fell away taking with it all the hair its attached too. which is what youre also experiencing as hair falling out.

the amount of hair Ive lost over the past 6 months is insane. how i actually have any hair left at all is a miracle. My hair is quite fine. ive always been told I have great hair in the sense of it being so good to work with/cut/style. I use good shampoo/cond. the same brand for many years. Ive bern living at my current address fr 4years.

anyway. . back to my inpection of my hair. after I realised these knot things were disolving + taking my hair with them. I wanted a closer look at whatever these things were bcse they arent what we know as knots.
got my magnifying glass out so I cld get up close + personal. Whst I saw was very odd/weird and pretty horrible. In amongst the centre of the knotted part that's like a ball in some of them not all was a strange little white curly thing. I didnt recognise it. it certainly didn't fall out of a tree or flown om a window because as we know our hair isn't knotted when we step in the shower. whatever this thing is, it appears after conditionetr ks applied. Ive also noticed my scalp has become incredibly sensitive and I'm constantly needing to itch it with whatever I can find. when I direct hot water/ the hair dryer onto certain areas, its a bit like having an orgasm - it feels amazing but only for a few secs at a time as it starts to become painful very quickly.

Today was the day I was totally over it. when I saw your post i read it straight away. I cldnt believe you described exactly what I was experiencing. Im sure we arent the only 2 people to experience whatever this is.

I noticed your post was 2012. .. did you ever free yourself from this entity??

Best wishes
Bikini Amore
Sydney

(Original post by Leighcakes)

Katthetraveler
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi bikiniamore,I’ve been having the same problem too. I never had this problem before but a friend recommended a hair shampoo and I wanted to try it out but after I did, my hair felt horrible. Even changing the shampoo and conditioner didn’t do me any good so I decided to trim my hair because I discovered that I had too many single strand knots. I read online that there are some products that can cause a protein or a moisture overload which causes the hair strands to get overly knotted up with each other so maybe you can check that out?? I’m waiting for replies from others, like you, so let’s see what they say :/Regards,Kat
Mkgstylist
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have a client who is dealing with the same issue... we have discovered that she changed her cholesterol and blood pressure medication a year ago in March. Her hair doesn't start matting up until about the midshaft which is about 6in down in her hair. If you do the math that is about a year of growth considering her hair grows on the fast side and that would be about a half an inch a month. Her hair is coming out by the handfuls it is very unnatural and it is not part of the regular shed cycle. I think they're her medication could be a contribution to her hair loss. We cut off about 6 in just up to the bottom of the matted mess and it seemed to help getting some of that medicated hair out of there. I'm not saying that is definitely the problem I told her to consult with her doctor as well, but I do think the change in medication is contributing to hair loss and the change of texture in her hair.
TSR-2019
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I've always got a problem with my hair, never stops getting knotted, even after I've just brushed it, I have had really thick hair ever since I was young, but as soon as I started college, my hair started to come out whenever I brushed it, it's happened for that long, that I've got used to the pain, and my hair is now a whispy tail, I thought it was just me, but other people have noticed my hair fall out when theyve brushed it, I've tried all sorts of shampoos and conditioners to help give it volume, but nothing works, I often feel like shaving all my hair off as it's just a nightmare and it stresses me out
FIREFLYWONDER
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know this is a zombie thread (posting for people looking for answers now) but try the conditioner shampoos e.g. Palmers of oil coconut cleansing conditioner. £6 for 475ml.

Absolutely amazing as I can now brush or comb my hair with ease whilst my hair is wet.

I try not to put it on my roots and I use a normal shampoo on my roots whilst having this cleasing conditioner on my length at the same time.
My lengths can't seem to stand sulfates in standard shampoo.

Seriously ladies, this stuff is amazing!
Dusky0255
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I am going through the same situation. What was your cause?
Janeybabe
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It's so weird reading all these posts as I've had the same issue for about 6 mths now purfect hair stepping in the shower as soon as I start washing my hair it go's all horrible and bitty to the point I can't move my hands around
Vixpix
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Im Exactly the same... I've never had a remedy. Tried all sorts conditioners and hair masks, leaving condition in etc, but still the same. Like you by the time u get all knots out, comb full of hair. 😣 didnt used to have this problem.
Jean Ann
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Did you ever figure out what was going on? I’m having the same issue and I’ve lost so much hair 😕
Marikitty
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
My hair is like this how can I fix it please help
Christieeee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by danielaandrea)
Try brushing it after blow drying I find its so much better, it might be your hair is dry so tangles easier, try some deep conditioning masks that might help it too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's a good idea, blow-drying might help with this.
(Original post by Marikitty)
My hair is like this how can I fix it please help
Same here. You can ask for a blow out hair treatment at any salon or you can do it by yourself at home with a curler or hot air brush like this. Also you can apply a leave-in conditioner on your hair ends, this helped me a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (43)
8.1%
Confident (70)
13.18%
Indifferent (75)
14.12%
Unsure (136)
25.61%
Worried (207)
38.98%

Watched Threads