ReputationRep:
    help.
    how do i balence equations.
    i have been asked to balence:

1) H2 + Cl2 ............... HCL

2) Ca + O2 ............ CaO

3) Na + Cl2 .............. NaCl

4) Fe +O2 ............... Fe2O3

anyone make sense of that? the dots are arrows and the 2's are littel 2's at the bottom/ .............help me
    never could do chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rover)
    help.

anyone make sense of that? the dots are arrows and the 2's are littel 2's at the bottom/ .............help me
    never could do chemistry
    EASY
    1) H2 + Cl2 ............... 2HCL

2) 2Ca + O2 ............ 2CaO

3) 2Na + Cl2 .............. 2NaCl

4) 2Fe +3O2 ............... 2Fe2O3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    EASY
    1) H2 + Cl2 ............... 2HCL

2) 2Ca + O2 ............ 2CaO

3) 2Na + Cl2 .............. 2NaCl

4) 2Fe +3O2 ............... 2Fe2O3
    thanx ALOT but how do u do it. if u can b bothered to explain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rover)
    help.

never could do chemistry
    twos does not have an apostrophe in it! But regarding the equation, you need to be able to work them out for yourself I'm afraid. Get a big blank piece of paper and just work through them, it sometimes helps to write out how many of each element is on each side

ReputationRep:
    It's not Chemistry, it's Maths. You just have to make sure you have the same number of everything on both sides of the equation, and alter it by putting big numbers in (to the left of the chemical symbols).

e.g.

H2 + Cl2 ---> HCl.

On the left side of the equation, you have two chlorines. On the right you only have one, so stick a big 2 in front of the HCl

H2 + Cl2 --> 2HCl

Now that Cl balances, check with hydrogens. You have two on the left and now two on the right, so it all balances.

e.g. 2.

Ca + O2 --> CaO

You have one calcium on either side, so that is fine. However, you have two oxygens on the left and one on the right, so you need to stick a big 2 on the right: Ca + O2 --> 2CaO.
    This now means you have 2 calciums on the right too though, so to balance them you need to put a 2 on the left as well

2Ca + O2 --> 2CaO.

Voila!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    It's not Chemistry, it's Maths. You just have to make sure you have the same number of everything on both sides of the equation, and alter it by putting big numbers in (to the left of the chemical symbols).

e.g.

H2 + Cl2 ---> HCl.

On the left side of the equation, you have two chlorines. On the right you only have one, so stick a big 2 in front of the HCl

H2 + Cl2 --> 2HCl

Now that Cl balances, check with hydrogens. You have two on the left and now two on the right, so it all balances.

e.g. 2.

Ca + O2 --> CaO

You have one calcium on either side, so that is fine. However, you have two oxygens on the left and one on the right, so you need to stick a big 2 on the right: Ca + O2 --> 2CaO.
    This now means you have 2 calciums on the right too though, so to balance them you need to put a 2 on the left as well

2Ca + O2 --> 2CaO.

Voila!
    While you're at it, can you explain the main metabolic diseases and their pathways for me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    While you're at it, can you explain the main metabolic diseases and their pathways for me?
    Oh and the metabolism of cholesterol would be useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Oh and the metabolism of cholesterol would be useful.
    and a tiny bit on the pentose cycle to finish it off...

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about the mating-habits of the South-Peruvian Squirrel Monkey and I'll give you a biscuit.

ReputationRep:
    And if anyone wants to do my first year chemistry exams for me then they're welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Tell me about the mating-habits of the South-Peruvian Squirrel Monkey and I'll give you a biscuit.
    I'd love to but i've given biscuits up so I don't see the incentive.

ReputationRep:

e.g.

H2 + Cl2 ---> HCl.

H2 + Cl2 --> 2HCl

e.g. 2.

Ca + O2 --> CaO

2Ca + O2 --> 2CaO.

Voila!
    thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!! i worked through 3 and 4 and totally undersztand it i got the same answers as davio told me"!!!! woooooohhhooooooo. i'm goin bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Well, particularly between the months of July and September, the males body's fatten (so to speak), with their body size increasing by 20 percent. The male species pose in such a way that leaves their genitals exposed for full viewing - with testicles often doubling their normal size. Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly not - we don't do path till next year.

And I don't know much about cholesterol either Daveo - you're on your own! Just write about bile salts a bit somewhere, that's all I can think of.

ReputationRep:

And I don't know much about cholesterol either Daveo - you're on your own! Just write about bile salts a bit somewhere, that's all I can think of.
    Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:

Maybe this AUT-strike will mean they don't set us any exams (*ever)...? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe this AUT-strike will mean they don't set us any exams (*ever)...? :cool:
    Unfortunately none of our lecturers are on strike, I don't think

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2004

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.