The Student Room Group

A Levels for a Computer Game developer/designer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jakirul
*psychology. My bad

That is a perfectly good third subject to go for. I did A-Level Philosophy and I am on a computer science course - my other A-Levels were Maths and Further Maths.

For a decent computer science course you need Maths, Further Maths or a science (A-Level Computing is practically useless for what we do in computer science), and then a rigorous third subject.
Reply 21
Original post by VannR
That is a perfectly good third subject to go for. I did A-Level Philosophy and I am on a computer science course - my other A-Levels were Maths and Further Maths.

For a decent computer science course you need Maths, Further Maths or a science (A-Level Computing is practically useless for what we do in computer science), and then a rigorous third subject.

I find Maths rathrr hard for me although i am at a B grade at the moment. I cant imagine how a level maths would be like.... Im thinking of doing A Level: Business Studies, Economics, Pyschology and ICT. do you think these subjects could get me into a computer science degree?
Reply 22
Original post by jakirul
I find Maths rathrr hard for me although i am at a B grade at the moment. I cant imagine how a level maths would be like.... Im thinking of doing A Level: Business Studies, Economics, Pyschology and ICT. do you think these subjects could get me into a computer science degree?

Something that you need to understand right now is that computer science is a branch of mathematics. Computer scientists use computers because they are amazingly adept at performing the tasks this branch of mathematics involves. Computer science is actually the study of problem solving. ICT has absolutely nothing to do with computer science whatsoever - ICT is about the use of software applications.

If you are more interested in the applied side of things, you are probably better off doing a degree in IT, or perhaps look into other higher education options which offer you more practical skills involving computers which won't leave you ~£50k in debt.

However, if you actually are interested in computer science as the study of solving problems, I strongly encourage you to do at least A-Level Maths, otherwise you will struggle on a computer science course.
Psychology is like the BTEC of the science world its still an A Level but generally Unis regard it as soft its basically a fancy word for therapist.
Original post by JST1
Becoming a computer game developer/designer is just one of the many careers I'd like to go into.

The Problem is, I don't know which A Levels would be relevant for this as Universities e.g. Kingston, Westminster, East London, Brunel say stuff like 3 A levels "BBB" or "AAB", with no specific subject information given.

I don't want to go into Maths as the maximum I can potentially get is a C, which I believe I will. Physics and Chemistry are subjects I am not interested in.

I am thinking of taking Geography, History and Biology as well as a 4th A/S but I'm not sure which one? Would Psychology be useful? Does IT or Graphic Products help? Do I need both of them?

All help will be appreciated.

I'm in uni studying a games technology degree and a Computing and Computer science degree. You need high Math, Computing, and physics helps. Psychology is not useful for this field they won't entertain it without your background in math and IT. Goodluck and best wishes.
My son has the same issues. I contacted Stoke and Manchester Met which are considered to be two of the best universities in game design and was told it goes on on a UCAS points system and interview but all subjects are valid. My son will only get a c in maths so will not take this option but had selected computer science, History and English language. He may also do an AS in photography. It seems if you have relevant interests and possible one of the desired subjects makes sense, and you make the grade then all good. It maybe different if your course is a programming heavy type degree as apprised to one of the more design/developer types.
IMO work experience etc would be better than a degree

Quick Reply

Latest