How much weight could you lose in 10 weeks?

Watch
Bassology
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
How much weight is it possible to lose in 10 weeks time via diet and excercise and what routine would you go about to lose it?
mattymorse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
3 lbs a week is a reasonable target. The key is not to burn yourself out by going crazy all out at first.
Ease yourself in, for the first week try to keep below 1500 calories and go for 3 hour long walks.
Each week, try to cut more calories and exercise more.
If you can sustain 3 lbs a week weight loss for 10 weeks then that's around 2 stone which is great.
You may notice the weight is harder to get off the more you lose, you can then start going for jogs etc.
Hope this helps.
Bassology
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by mattymorse)
3 lbs a week is a reasonable target. The key is not to burn yourself out by going crazy all out at first.
Ease yourself in, for the first week try to keep below 1500 calories and go for 3 hour long walks.
Each week, try to cut more calories and exercise more.
If you can sustain 3 lbs a week weight loss for 10 weeks then that's around 2 stone which is great.
You may notice the weight is harder to get off the more you lose, you can then start going for jogs etc.
Hope this helps.
Sounds good mate I'll take your advice on board. Do you have any tips on maintaining the diet and excercise regime and the whole keeping to it etc?
Chindits
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Calorie deficit. That's all you need to concentrate on. You should exercise as a matter of routine, not just to aid weight loss.

You want to eat less than your body needs to maintain. You don't need to eat any special foods, just concentrate on a caloric deficit.

I'd start by reducing your daily intake by 300 calories. You should see results within 7-10 days. if not, reduce calories by another 150.

Calorie counting is boring, but it's well worth it.
lyle17120
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Firstly i'd reduce my food intake by 69 calories
mattymorse
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bassology)
Sounds good mate I'll take your advice on board. Do you have any tips on maintaining the diet and excercise regime and the whole keeping to it etc?
Well, as stupid as it sounds, the colour blue has been proven to be an appetite suppressant. So wear blue and eat off blue plates and you won't need to eat as much
Other than that, take a mental image of your body after the 10 weeks once you've dropped 2 stone. Now imagine how deflated you'll feel if you get to the end of the 10 weeks and haven't lost a stone!
Any reason for the 10 weeks btw?
username944192
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Unless you're really overweight 3lbs a week is NOT recommended, 1-2lbs a week is ideal. Anymore than that and you're going more into "starvation" mode than fat loss. Seriously, it's better to eat less, exercise more, but not do both to extremes. And the slower you lose the more likely it is to stay off. The first week you probably will lose 4-5lbs (depending on how big you are now, could be more/less) but 1-2lbs a week is recommended. So for 10 weeks I'd say maximum around 20lbs which is still almost a stone and a half, definitely enough to make a difference eat healthier things, more fruit/veg, more lean protein, don't cut out carbs completely but change to complex ones such as brown rice and brown bread instead of white, move a bit more. If you'd like to start running then Couch to 5k is a great app that you can download and it helps get you going. Mostly though find an exercise you like e.g. zumba, boxing, idk something you actually enjoy so you don't feel like you're just doing it to lose weight.

Also if you make changes to your diet rather than go "on a diet" for a temporary amount of time you will be more consistent and avoid binges. Keep a food diary and look at what needs to be changed, then work on making small changes like normal coke to diet to water, change your sugary breakfast cereal for porridge etc, and make changes that you can maintain and that way your weight won't go back on when you stop "dieting".
Hope that helps
Luke Phelps
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A pound of pure fat is around 3,500 calories so hypothetically however many calories you could burn through exercise in 10 weeks without completely exhausting your body.

However you should look to be losing no more than 2 pounds of weight a week. It is a simple case of using more calories than you consume. If your weight is stable at the moment, but you want to lose a few pounds then I would suggest cutting 300 calories a day out of your normal routine or doing 300 calories worth of exercise and eating as you normally would.

If you're currently gaining fat and want to stop that trend as well as lose some fat then use a BMI calculator ( http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Health...alculator.aspx )to work out how much your body needs calorie wise to maintain your weight and then reduce your intake by 300 of what it recommends.

If you were to cut 300 calories a day from your routine through either diet or exercise which is easily achievable and a healthy rate then you could expect to lose...

300* 70 day = 21,000 calories which is the equivalent of 6 pounds of fat.

I hope this helped.
Mark85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bassology)
How much weight is it possible to lose in 10 weeks time via diet and excercise and what routine would you go about to lose it?
Depends on

- how fat you are currently
- how active you are able to be
- how much lean tissue you are prepared to lose.

With regard to the last point - you should really think about aiming for fat loss rather than weight loss. I mean, you can just starve yourself on a ****ty diet and lose a ton of weight but you will look and feel like ****.

Or, you could take a sensible diet with a moderate caloric deficit, feel good and gradually lose weight in a maintainable fashion.

Short-termism is the quickest route to failure here. Just be patient and make gradual changes.
Eleanor_W
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you want to loose weight quickly, you could try the milkshake or lemonade diet! But you need really strong willpower! Basically swap meals for the drink.. You should loose weight quickly!! hope that helps!
Blazinq
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Eleanor_W)
If you want to loose weight quickly, you could try the milkshake or lemonade diet! But you need really strong willpower! Basically swap meals for the drink.. You should loose weight quickly!! hope that helps!
OP, don't do this, this is basically dumb, you want to change your lifestyle, instead of a one off diet.
Mark85
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Eleanor_W)
If you want to lose weight really quickly - cut your arms and legs off. 5 stone in minutes...
Sammi_K?
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Here is the Magic Formula:

- Do not lose more than 2 lbs a week. Anything over this is considered unhealthy. And i'm sure you want to lose the weight and not gain it back [lose it too fast, and you will gain it back + more]. So you should lose 10-20 lbs in 10 weeks. Now if you are a heavier person you will lose more weight during the first few months and then eventually you will lose like 1-2 lbs a month. Still if you are losing 10-15 lbs a week, something is wrong.

Drum roll please......

The magic solution .......

is ........

Substitute water for any juices/soft drinks.
Start eating a whole bunch of fruits and veggies. Drink skim milk, eat yogurt, nuts [ but only a bit as the calories can add up quickly], bake/roast/boil/stir fry [ last option] poultry/beef instead of frying, eat whole grains, drop the cereals - take up oatmeal, Steam/stir fry veggies, eat some veggies raw [carrots, lettuce, cabbage, radish, cucumbers, red/green/yellow/orange bell peppers], drink 8 + glasses of water each day, boiled eggs with salt + pepper tastes good, cut down on the cooking oil, drink coffee black, you can eat things you really like but eat it 1-3 times a week in a limited amount and EAT SLOWLY to SAVOR THE TASTE.

Exercise even if it is just walking for an hour, any exercise is better than no exercise. Build up and add short runs [ like a 2 min jog/run every 10-15 mins of walking ] and reduce the walking time when you are ready [ ie 2 min runs every 10-15 mins ---> 2 min runs every 7-9 mins]. Dancing is also a great way to let loose and get moving. Also include activities you enjoy. If you enjoy basketball then play it couple times a week.

and there you have it.
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you weigh 35 stone you could lose 5lb a week without breaking a sweat. Just saying.
Scoobiedoobiedo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Depends entirely on your:
Current level of body fat
Level of fitness
Training experience
Motivation
How willing you are to eat boring
How much LMB you have and are willing to lose
Genetics

Etc.Etc.Etc.

Nobody can say for sure, although most people can lose 3 lbs a week fairly easily if they get the diet spot on and train hard.
Millie228
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It depends how much you want to lose and if you are in need of a major lifestyle change or not.
A couple of years ago I wanted to get rid of a few extra pounds and just went on a strict regime for a few weeks and then back to my normal lifestyle.

I've heard health professionals say that 1kg/2.2 lbs per week is the healthiest weight loss. However I went from 141 lbs to 123 lbs in about 5 weeks, so that equals about 3.6 lbs per week. All I did was 2 hours of fast powerwalks per day and a very, very healthy diet.
Jamie95
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have lost 1lb every 2 days in the past, just by not eating crap food. So if I was to do this, I could lose around 40lbs (2 Stone 8 Pounds) in 10 weeks.
g36c
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
dont aim to lose weight, aim to lose fat

calorie deficit and lift weights...done
FitJohny
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
50 lbs! I lost 5 lbs a week using diet shakes. They have all the nutrition that you need and they taste good. Don't listen to the people who don't want you to lose too much too fast. The faster you get it off, the happier you will be.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (47)
6.08%
Uncertainty around my education (89)
11.51%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
10.35%
Lack of purpose or motivation (99)
12.81%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
5.17%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (43)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (85)
11%
Financial worries (51)
6.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (34)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (48)
6.21%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.23%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (72)
9.31%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (60)
7.76%

Watched Threads