Turn on thread page Beta

Retaking watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am a 3rd year a level student. Next year i am taking a gap year, during that time i am applying to university. I was wondering if retaking is frowned upon by universities. I may retake some of my AS modules, i was also interested in retaking some of my A2's depending on how they go. I wouldn't actually be at college, i would just resit some exams in Jan. Someone suggested that unis would really h8 this and it is likely that they would reject me. Is this true?

thanks
    fivebyfive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    Hi,

I am a 3rd year a level student. Next year i am taking a gap year, during that time i am applying to university. I was wondering if retaking is frowned upon by universities. I may retake some of my AS modules, i was also interested in retaking some of my A2's depending on how they go. I wouldn't actually be at college, i would just resit some exams in Jan. Someone suggested that unis would really h8 this and it is likely that they would reject me. Is this true?

thanks
    fivebyfive
    Someone answer him i wanna know aswell!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    Someone answer him i wanna know aswell!!!
    I've heard it depends on the prestige of the unis, places like oxbridge and other top class unis supposedly frown upon anyone who has spent more than two years at college, but i think for the majority of reasonable quality unis that your grades and quality of your personal statement would be the main deciding factor.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would depend on why you had spent 3 years doing your A-levels and then why you were then retaking some anyway. You will probably need to have a good reason which is backed up in your open reference.

I don't think that it will hamper your chances but I know that quite a few universities stipulate that if you are retaking units then you must have got at least x first time and get at least y second time round. I would suggest that you contact the universities that you wish to apply for individually in order to find out their opinions.

Of course the answer may be that you continue to work as hard as possible with a view to actually not having to repeat any of the modules you take in June- then at least if you had to retake some AS units it would cut down on the overall number of exams you would be taking again.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I will e mail the uni's. I spent 3 years doing A levels as my first year was at a local sixth form, which i didn't feel was right for me, but was forced to try by my parents. I then left and went to college for 2 years. I am taking a gap year next yr so i can retake my Maths GCSE and raise some money for uni through working. Hoping that they aren't going to frown on this either? I am applying to Uni's that have a min entry requirement around CCC, so they are no Oxbridge.

fivebyfive

ReputationRep:
    Hey , don't worry about uni's frowing upon your application. As long as you meet the grade requirement and can explain the extra year you have as good a chance than anyone. Work hard for the forthcoming exams and then concentrate on nailing your UCAS form. Goodluck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Hey , don't worry about uni's frowing upon your application. As long as you meet the grade requirement and can explain the extra year you have as good a chance than anyone. Work hard for the forthcoming exams and then concentrate on nailing your UCAS form. Goodluck.
    I hated school sixth form so slacked off for a year doing subjects i hated (due to pooling of subjects)so i re started at college the next sept and have done loads better. Admittedly i didnt resit, just chose different subjects, but i have done loads better this time round, and am holding offers from good unis for law.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

thanks
    fivebyfive
    your doin what i did except no gap yr, i got rejected from bath york and lse but im going hopefully to st andrews. i dont think they discriminate if anythin it shows ur determination to be successful. i wouldnt worry about it too much just as long as u explain clearly y u had a third yr it should be ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyboo)
    your doin what i did except no gap yr, i got rejected from bath york and lse but im going hopefully to st andrews. i dont think they discriminate if anythin it shows ur determination to be successful. i wouldnt worry about it too much just as long as u explain clearly y u had a third yr it should be ok
    agrees, it shows determination to do better rather than giving up and that is acknowledged as strength of character.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for your help, all advice was very helpful and you have given me a bit confidence boost. Gonna do my best, but will just have to see how it goes.

fivebyfive

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I will e mail the uni's. I spent 3 years doing A levels as my first year was at a local sixth form, which i didn't feel was right for me, but was forced to try by my parents. I then left and went to college for 2 years. I am taking a gap year next yr so i can retake my Maths GCSE and raise some money for uni through working. Hoping that they aren't going to frown on this either? I am applying to Uni's that have a min entry requirement around CCC, so they are no Oxbridge.

fivebyfive

To be honest I think that if you explain your situation in your personal statement then you should have no problem really. Really, the effort at which you're going to in order to improve your grades should show that you're highly motivated and the universities you apply to should recognise that.

Good luck with the uni responses!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.